Decided I would share news of my new purchase.

sheep_herder

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Decided to upgrade the PC, and ordered a new one on Tuesday.  It should arrive in a bit. Needed something that was more compatible with some of our software and would work well for photo editing.  Would have gone Mac, but some of my wife's software is not compatible with Macs. Learning curve might be interesting. No, I am not going to list all the components in the new one.

Where did you order it?

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Commodore 64?

No.  That's an Apple 2E, with three 5 1/4 inch floppy drives.    I used the higher capacity 3 1/2 in disk drives with my old Apple 2E, and of course the 5 1/4 drive too.  

I still have my old Apple 2E, boxed up in the basement. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I am picturing this.

Image result for apple 2e computer

I had an Apple II Plus, Serial # 00809.  I went crazy and got 48 kB of memory instead of the standard 16 kB.

On it was written "Castles of Darkness" for which I have a place on "The Giant List of Classic Game Programmers" (https://dadgum.com/giantlist/).

When I downsized afrer I retired and moved into the home of my childhood, I stupidly tossed it and all the accessories: mice, drives, cards, etc! It still worked but my homes are always cluttered with things I'm hoarding and I decided to dump it because it's probably not worth as much as an original Apple II without the Plus even though it was the 809th one off the assembly line.

Let's be clear, Sheep_Herder, YOU HAVE NOT SHARED "the news of my new purchase" other than at the highest level and least informative way.  :angry:

It's like a "I Got A New Car" thread without mentioning what kind of car, color, some photos, dealer headaches, etc.. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Arrived today via UPS. Picked it up in the middle of the road, as I was going from the paper to the mail box. Driver stopped and asked if I was Marshall, and I replied yes.  He got in the truck and gave me the box.  No doorbells were involved in this exchange!!

Okay, you just blew my mind. I've read your comic book.

51jrEncPtSL.jpg

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Arrived today via UPS. Picked it up in the middle of the road, as I was going from the paper to the mail box. Driver stopped and asked if I was Marshall, and I replied yes.  He got in the truck and gave me the box.  No doorbells were involved in this exchange!!

Around here, we might literally find our stuff in the middle of the road!  Porch pirates are apparently a "thing", and they discard the box and other junk as they exit the crime scene.

Just now, jsharr said:

So is it up and running yet?

If you want to have fun, go here and let it run benchmarks on your new rig.

https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/ratemypc

No, and not sure when this will happen.  Other things seem to get in the way of others this time of the year.

• Heart 1

When I was in the computer tech workforce we had 8 inch floppies and 80 megabit 11 layer removable platter storage to go along with the tape machines and the punched card decks and teletype.  At home I had a Radio Shack color computer that was more powerful than the CDC mini mainframes we used in the P&WA engine test cells.

Oops, I just let the "I am old" cat out of the bag.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

So long as it's not the burnt electronic smell of infant mortality.

Yeah, that happens. 

Years ago, I purchased a Gateway desktop computer.   After a while I noticed a burning smell.  I found the power supply had an integrated cooling fan that was not working, and the power supply was overheating.

The computer was under warranty.  I called Gateway and they wanted to have me ship the computer back to them (free) to be repaired.  I asked can’t you just ship me a new power supply and then I can return the bad one in the box that was just sent to me?   They said, no.  I called back 3 times, and finally a person said yes.  I replaced the power supply and that computer worked for many years.  

7 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Wow, gateway was a real flash in the pan. There used to be cow boxes everywhere!

Our Gateway was a PITA. We were having a lot of power outages at the time we had the Gateway. Every time the power would go out even if only for a second the computer would have to restart and it bitched at us because we did not shut the computer down properly. The restarts took forever and it told us what it was doing each step of the way. I didn’t want to know what it was doing, just let me know when your done and I can use the computer again. :angry:

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Our Gateway was a PITA. We were having a lot of power outages at the time we had the Gateway. Every time the power would go out even if only for a second the computer would have to restart and it bitched at us because we did not shut the computer down properly. The restarts took forever and it told us what it was doing each step of the way. I didn’t want to know what it was doing, just let me know when your done and I can use the computer again. :angry:

I thought I got past that with a battery backup. Seemed to work OK other than that obnoxious alarm when power was out and on full battery. Either power flicker or full outage primary systems remained up, continuing uninterrupted on a flicker or allowing controlled shutdown on a full outage. Lastt week was alarming after a presumed flicker, everything off (uncontrolled shutdown) and power button wouldn't turn the alarm off. Had to unplug it and plug it back in. Then yesterday at computer when had power flicker (off and within 5 seconds back on) and everything shut down repeating last week's exercise. It appears to be a glorified power strip and after 2 or 3 years needs to be replaced.:unhappy:

EDIT: Make that 2.5 years. Got it as I set up a security camera system so that computer would run for at least 30 minutes if someone intentionally shut off power before breaking in. (The reason I disliked the alarm telling them where the computer was). Since I personally built the computer as I have all my desktops since the 286 processor, looked at the files when the original software was installed and was August 2017.

My original PC was an XT Packard Hell, but had a neighbor who was an IBM technician (employed by IBM)  who showed me how easy they were to build and never have bought a Dell/Whatever since. Laptops are a little different. With spare parts, even made a Hackintosh.