X-ray risk

Airehead

So, I absolutely have bigger things to worry about but how many xrays of the same body part is too much. Einstein has had at least three chest X-rays every day since last Saturday. Plus yesterday he had 5 and has already had two today. 

doesn’t this seem like. Lot?

7 minutes ago, Airehead said:

So, I absolutely have bigger things to worry about but how many xrays of the same body part is too much. Einstein has had at least three chest X-rays every day since last Saturday. Plus yesterday he had 5 and has already had two today. 

Seems like too many.

I heard some of the radiology technicians have a higher rate of certain cancers.  I can't remember what it was....

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Exactly what I was thinking @bikeman564™  had to be done. 

Four was the most I had in one day. Two at my first follow up appointment, then two more after the drain tube was pulled oot. When I see the surgeon next month, I'll need to get 2 immediately prior to seeing him. I'll also be getting annual CT scans. Duration, unknown to me.

I wouldn't worry about it.

You can get cancer from drinking water. But at that point the odds are less than one in a million. And something will eventually get you, does it matter  if it's 50 years later?

Here's some perspective, after we nuked Japan, Japan set up a study to track the health of the survivors. It's still going.

Konnichi wa.

• Heart 1

From the Mayo Clinic website:

You may be concerned about radiation exposure from chest X-rays, especially if you have them regularly. But the amount of radiation from a chest X-ray is low — even lower than what you're exposed to through natural sources of radiation in the environment.

Even though the benefits of an X-ray outweigh the risk, you may be given a protective apron if you need more than one image. Tell your doctor if you're pregnant or might be pregnant. The procedure can be performed in a way to protect your abdomen from the radiation.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chest-x-rays/about/pac-20393494?page=0&citems=10

If Mr Aire is pregnant, I hope he let them know!

• Heart 3

11 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I was hoping I could glow in the dark from the radioactive stuff I was injected with for my PET scan...I didn't glow :(

Did you happen to notice the box that contained the radioactive contrast came in with all the warnings symbols on it? They make you stay away from pregnant women and small children for a period of time after those injections.

• Heart 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

Did you happen to notice the box that contained the radioactive contrast came in with all the warnings symbols on it? They make you stay away from pregnant women and small children for a period of time after those injections.

I didn't see a box, and never mentioned staying away from women & children.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

That's for nuclear imaging, mostly something like a thyroid ablation.  But if you're super cautious, regular nuclear imaging also.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, smudge said:

That's for nuclear imaging, mostly something like a thyroid ablation.  But if you're super cautious, regular nuclear imaging also.

When I’ve had it the person administering it is wearing protective clothing and gloves and they give me the warnings. They tell me to drink as much fluid as possible after the testing to get it flushed out as soon as possible.

I dont know about xrays, but I had many bone scans and CT scans between 1991 and 2005.  For each of those I had to drink the tracer.  in Oct 2005 I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and had my thyriod removed.  I have wondered if all those scans contributed to the thyroid cancer. 

My current oncologist has not ordered a CT or PET scan since 2006. 

As long as I have access to synthroid I can live a normal life.  I have taken synthroid daily since February 2006.

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

10 hours ago, Airehead said:

It seems like a lot. I wonder if they minimize dangers with shorter scans if they know they're doing multiples, etc?

Or is it less risky the older you are?

3 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

I dont know about xrays, but I had many bone scans and CT scans between 1991 and 2005.  For each of those I had to drink the tracer.  in Oct 2005 I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and had my thyriod removed.  I have wondered if all those scans contributed to the thyroid cancer. 

My current oncologist has not ordered a CT or PET scan since 2006. 

As long as I have access to synthroid I can live a normal life.  I have taken synthroid daily since February 2006.

I had X-rays of my left rotator cuff in 2015 and 2017. One of the five 1-2-stitched holes in my shoulder from the surgery that followed were for a tiny camera, so at least the 12 pictures I was given from during the surgery were not from X-rays, which I assume they used before micro-cameras. But since it was a nearly 67 year-old shoulder, I wonder if it would live long enough for X-rays to do long-term damage.

813236084_!!!SurgeryCarnera1iof2infocropped900p.thumb.jpg.46d4099755fe71b29ba4e1003818eb03.jpg19795911_!!!SurgeryCarnera2iof2infocropped900p.thumb.jpg.4c98e2fe215d641d94b3b11bdef29f33.jpg 552175433_IMG_20170623_102927sml.thumb.jpg.29cd9bf9833e9471d572c2540330f909.jpg

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

When I’ve had it the person administering it is wearing protective clothing and gloves and they give me the warnings. They tell me to drink as much fluid as possible after the testing to get it flushed out as soon as possible.

In college we used an X-Ray machine, much more powerful than those for medicinal-use, to do X-ray Crystallography and had to cover ourselves with very thick and heavy lead-lined aprons that especially protected the below-the-belt sexual regions.  I was glad I only had to do it about a dozen times in junior year Inorganic Chemistry Lab and NEVER forgot to use the lead apron!

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Now I feel (slightly) guilty aboot razzing Chuck Norris for his acting ability. :D

I never paid much attention to anyone that was implying that martial arts are the ultimate weapon. Common sense tells you they are no match for a Saturday night special. But when my friend Bob Philson told me about his granddaughter I got a lot of respect for Chuck. This was no publicity stunt and wasn’t on the news. I only found out about it because of my friend.

14 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Four was the most I had in one day. Two at my first follow up appointment, then two more after the drain tube was pulled oot. When I see the surgeon next month, I'll need to get 2 immediately prior to seeing him. I'll also be getting annual CT scans. Duration, unknown to me.

You simply can’t become glow in the dark without going beyond the usual.  Did it work? Is it possible to become glow in the dark for real?