Beauty skin-whitening creams ..still

shootingstar

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/marketplace-skin-whitening-lightening-beauty-shadism-1.5454257

I really do believe in accepting your own genetics and the beauty it comes with it.  It really does mean ignoring a lot of advertising signals and crap. 

(Of course, I'm extreme....don't even believe in dyeing Asian black hair to blonde or even red...etc. Too much use of chemicals, some of it questionable for health, damaging to hair.)

That article is about "illegal" products. Ones that have constituents at levels not considered to be safe for humans.

I agree products are in place to serve people who maintain a possibly unhealthy self image. You are not going to improve the core issue by presenting information about products that aren't in compliance with safe practices. In fact, you aren't going to change people's thinking by presenting information about products. Any negative comment about a product will simply open the door for another product that deals with the stated problem to gather market share.

5 minutes ago, donkpow said:

That article is about "illegal" products. Ones that have constituents at levels not considered to be safe for humans.

I agree products are in place to serve people who maintain a possibly unhealthy self image. You are not going to improve the core issue by presenting information about products that aren't in compliance with safe practices. In fact, you aren't going to change people's thinking by presenting information about products. Any negative comment about a product will simply open the door for another product that deals with the stated problem to gather market share.

unfortunately you are right....up to a point. Some consumers will stop if they discover using dangerously unhealthy products. There will always be a market for products even safe for those who are overworking their image for the wrong reasons which they are entitled to.  It's a lot more work...to look beautiful. Whatever the definition is.  

If I can just stick to Asian female beauty....probably something I can personally speak best after observing sisters, friends and others over decades:  I really dislike it when some women really are into using skin whitening agents on their face.  There is a strong practice of this....in South Korea.  I noticed this in Seoul.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Trying to change what God gave you has never made any sense to me. That said, if it makes another person happy why should I object. Not my body nor my risk. 

None of my 4 sisters got into skin whitening nor hair dyeing so far.  My sisters are in their 50's and have strands of grey in their hair now. But still quite black natural hair.  So maybe they might get into it....somehow I have this feeling they're abit busy to pay attention.  Or spending more time /money on yoga classes, etc.

The sister who is a physician....all she wears makeup wise is eye-liner occasionally on the job.  That's it.  She pulls back her hair entirely into a clean pony tail or it's loose around her face.  I'm just giving an example,...professionally on the job, what some women do....without makeup or hardly any.  Places where women do tend to want to look good too.  Well, so do I.  But I guess I'm lazier.

8 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Major Taylor, the famous black cyclist, was nearly killed by skin whitening treatments. They created huge blisters on him. It was a failed attempt to allow him to do more bicycle races as blacks were often not permitted. Hard telling what the ingredients were back in those days.

:(  I had no clue...a male cyclist!