Double standard

late

Last political thread I saw here had 32 posts, many of them political, before I did post 33.

That's when the whining started.

I just started a thread that had zero political content. Let me repeat that, zero.

But it did link to a post I did in another forum that was political.

It disappeared in a matter of seconds.

That sort of thing has a name. Oh yes, hypocrisy.

6 minutes ago, late said:

Last political thread I saw here had 32 posts, many of them political, before I did post 33.

That's when the whining started.

I just started a thread that had zero political content. Let me repeat that, zero.

But it did link to a post I did in another forum that was political.

It disappeared in a matter of seconds.

That sort of thing has a name. Oh yes, hypocrisy.

no politics

Bummer.  I never talk politics.  I vote my conscious and leave it at that.

I used to discuss my religion, but again, seldom do that either.

Not sure when we lost the ability to have civil discussions, but we have and I do not feel that any sort of online interaction is going to change many minds.  People believe what they wanna believe.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Also, this is Square Wheels playground and we are using his ball, so we play by his rules or we do not play at all.

I do not come here to talk politics or religion.  If I wish to talk about those things, I find the proper forum for them.

It's the definition of politics that's the sticking point.

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

?

The reason you see dozens of political posts go unremarked is because those comments don't excite cognitive dissonance.

One of the things a person needs to develop is a tolerance of cognitive dissonance.

39 minutes ago, late said:

Actions speak louder.

Yep. I suggest a quick listen to the Hidden Brain "Political Hobbyism" podcast:

Keeping up with American politics can feel like a feat. And we tend to think that knowing the latest news means that we're engaged. But what happens when being informed is the end of our commitment to politics?

"The way that people are doing politics is much more similar to a hobby than to what I think of as politics, which is, you know, acquiring power," says Eitan Hersh, a professor of political science at Tufts University. He says many Americans are engaging in what he calls "political hobbyism."

"What they're actually doing is not participating themselves in any active way. They're really just following the news."

This news increasingly comes from cable TV and social media, and the stories that get our attention are usually national stories, not local ones. Scandals and entertainment are also more appealing than discussions of policy or even what's happening in our own neighborhoods.

"What news do political junkies demand? Outrage and gossip. Why? Because it's alluring. What news do we avoid? Local news. Why? It's boring," Hersh writes in his book, Politics is for Power.

This week on Hidden Brain, we explore the paradox of our passion for politics: we're more informed than ever, but many of us are also less politically active. Why do we see politics as something that happens on Capitol Hill, and not in our neighborhoods? How do we re-frame politics from a form of entertainment to a vehicle for change in our lives? Hersh suggests that the solutions may be less daunting than we think.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep. I suggest a quick listen to the Hidden Brain "Political Hobbyism" podcast:

Keeping up with American politics can feel like a feat. And we tend to think that knowing the latest news means that we're engaged. But what happens when being informed is the end of our commitment to politics?

"The way that people are doing politics is much more similar to a hobby than to what I think of as politics, which is, you know, acquiring power," says Eitan Hersh, a professor of political science at Tufts University. He says many Americans are engaging in what he calls "political hobbyism."

"What they're actually doing is not participating themselves in any active way. They're really just following the news."

This news increasingly comes from cable TV and social media, and the stories that get our attention are usually national stories, not local ones. Scandals and entertainment are also more appealing than discussions of policy or even what's happening in our own neighborhoods.

"What news do political junkies demand? Outrage and gossip. Why? Because it's alluring. What news do we avoid? Local news. Why? It's boring," Hersh writes in his book, Politics is for Power.

This week on Hidden Brain, we explore the paradox of our passion for politics: we're more informed than ever, but many of us are also less politically active. Why do we see politics as something that happens on Capitol Hill, and not in our neighborhoods? How do we re-frame politics from a form of entertainment to a vehicle for change in our lives? Hersh suggests that the solutions may be less daunting than we think.

I've been giving money to Liz and Sarah Gideon, who is running for Collin's seat.

I've been talking about working for the Gideon campaign, if I can pull it off.

I was an activist, Nam protester, one of the millions that worked towards getting environmental regs. I even did a little phone work for the ERA. After the ERA went down in flames, I realised that had been a mistake, and changed my tactics. Long story, this isn't really the place for it.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I guess you'll have to complain to SW about his decisions on removing threads.  What is and isn't politics is in the hands of the guy who owns and operates the forum at a personal loss.

Better yet... Leave SW alone, accept the decisions of the forum moderators without complaint, or move along.

• Heart 2

As a moderator I have allowed political discussion to continue as long as they stay civil.  They never do and I always kick myself for not nixing them earlier.  Sometime I get called out by certain peeps for not acting - and then I do.  And I have been corrected by SW for it.

In this case I was not the one that killed the thread but I did look at it after it was locked and I agree.  Would I have acted as quickly - probably not but I have that issue.

You can't hide a political thread behind a link.  I agree - be gone with it.

As for why some get nixed quicker than others - I don't know of a mod waiting around just looking for threads to can.  We all have lives and there is no schedule.

And to repeat - This is SW's forum and his rules.

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

As a moderator I have allowed political discussion to continue as long as they stay civil.  They never do and I always kick myself for not nixing them earlier.  Sometime I get called out by certain peeps for not acting - and then I do.  And I have been corrected by SW for it.

In this case I was not the one that killed the thread but I did look at it after it was locked and I agree.  Would I have acted as quickly - probably not but I have that issue.

You can't hide a political thread behind a link.  I agree - be gone with it.

As for why some get nixed quicker than others - I don't know of a mod waiting around just looking for threads to can.  We all have lives and there is no schedule.

And to repeat - This is SW's forum and his rules.

You are a moderator?   By title, I thought you were something more domestic like shoe shine or boot lick!  :) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

You are a moderator?   By title, I thought you were something more domestic like shoe shine or boot lick!  :) 

Boot licker is the primary function.  On off hours they let me do some more important stuff but only under heavy supervision.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Imagine that.  When someone enters the thread, declares their opinion 100% right and everyone else's ludicrous, discussion goes downhill... who'da thunk it

But I am always 100% right and everyone else is ludicrous.  It's not my fault, just the way it is and I can't help it.

• Haha 1

To me, linking to a political post makes a post political.

When civic issues are discussed here I try to go out of my way to avoid any political opinions and, in my last post I said I was cutting my post short so I wouldn't have to get into my political views.

One of the reasons the LF fell apart was political bickering and even if one of my comments that I consider simply fact is considered by SW to cross the line  and is deleted, that's ok with me. I'd rather have it that way than see a repeat of what happened on the LF.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, jsharr said:

Also, this is Square Wheels playground and we are using his ball, so we play by his rules or we do not play at all.

I do not come here to talk politics or religion.  If I wish to talk about those things, I find the proper forum for them.

Thank you

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

It's the definition of politics that's the sticking point.

No, it's not.  The mods do their job for free and are very fair, and liberal in allowing posts to continue.  I a not.  I am also rarely here.  When I see political posts, I close them.

Also, discussing actions of moderators in public is forbidden.

Closed.

• Heart 1