There are Oh Shit Moments and then there are OH SHIT moments

jsharr

16 minutes ago, donkpow said:

1923 craftsman home

I know, right?  How do you "make that right" as the demo company owner said.  On the positive side, Bobby Lindamood Jr. is the son of long time Dallas demo company owner who passed a way about a decade ago.  The family has been in this buisness for years and has a good reputation and will try to make this right.  A new home will be built, but it will not be a 1923 Craftsman.

When I was a kid, there was a fire around the corner from us, on Christmas Eve.  Mom and 4 of the 5 kids died.  Not even long after the fire companies arrived, the family next door had packed up and left their house, never to return.  They were bit players in the mafia, and the intended target.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, 12string said:

When I was a kid, there was a fire around the corner from us, on Christmas Eve.  Mom and 4 of the 5 kids died.  Not even long after the fire companies arrived, the family next door had packed up and left their house, never to return.  They were bit players in the mafia, and the intended target.

wow! 

Just Wow!  

“The house wasn’t marked [with an address]..."

My first knee-jerk reaction is to say that when I'm looking for an address and can't see one, I look at the addresses on either side of it, DUH!

But some streets have strange numbering and maybe -not probably but maybe- that happened here.

Sometimes my mail is returned to sender with "no such address" stamped on it, when my regular mailman is out and a temporary mailman comes down my street, sees 5220 and only 4 more descending-number houses on my side of the street before a park begins, and assumes the addresses must end at 5212.

But my side of the street goes 5224, 5222, 5220, skips to 5206, 5204 (me), 5202, 5200.  The houses beginning with 5206 and down were part of about 30 originally-identical mini-Cape Cod homes (including those on the side street that runs alongside my house) built in 1948. 5220 and up were built before WW2.

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't even know what I would do if that were my home.

The current homeowner is probably grinning from ear-to-ear, when no one is looking, at the good fortune that has come to him!

Note that homeowner has NEVER lived in the home, apparently has placed nothing of personal interest inside the home, and that the home has been vacant and without gas or electricity for two years since he bought it.

The homeowner will probably reap a huge profit in the settlement. He claims his friend, the late previous homeowner, begged him not to let the house be torn down so the quality and long-term outlook for the house may have been questionable anyway (a 1930's quick-build Craftsman house). His alleged heartache for not being able to keep the house standing may be a ploy to get extra money in the settlement. In any case, if the house wasn't even inhabited for two years, it's questionable about how much he felt about the house.

22 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The current homeowner is probably grinning from ear-to-ear, when no one is looking, at the good fortune that has come to him!

Note that homeowner has NEVER lived in the home, apparently has placed nothing of personal interest inside the home, and that the home has been vacant and without gas or electricity for two years since he bought it.

The homeowner will probably reap a huge profit in the settlement. He claims his friend, the late previous homeowner, begged him not to let the house be torn down so the quality and long-term outlook for the house may have been questionable anyway (a 1930's quick-build Craftsman house). His alleged heartache for not being able to keep the house standing may be a ploy to get extra money in the settlement. In any case, if the house wasn't even inhabited for two years, it's questionable about how much he felt about the house.

In a desirable area where houses are scraped to get to the land.   Might be true.

yep.  Just a normal house on a street with normal houses.  Except for stuff like this just across the street or at the corner.  People are coming in and doing complete scrapes of a lot and building McMansions along side bungalows.  Soon the house prices and tax values are driving the working class people out of the hoods.

image.thumb.png.676248ecb76b401df57fbdb9d048e313.png

image.thumb.png.c3ca3bbfab9315a25005d87a0ca023d2.png

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

yep.  Just a normal house on a street with normal houses.  Except for stuff like this just across the street or at the corner.  People are coming in and doing complete scrapes of a lot and building McMansions along side bungalows.  Soon the house prices and tax values are driving the working class people out of the hoods.

image.thumb.png.676248ecb76b401df57fbdb9d048e313.png

image.thumb.png.c3ca3bbfab9315a25005d87a0ca023d2.png

Bullshit. Looks like a meth lab to me.

• Haha 1