2/22 miles & such

bikeman564™

38 miles on the roadie. 50 degrees at the start but windy. Able to ride with shorts and a light base layer under my jersey. I will take that in February! I got my 3rd fastest time on 1 segment. Kind of surprised because the wind wasn’t THAT good on the push. It’s very open there so wind is a factor for everyone. My PR (2nd all time) and the guy with KOM happened on the same day. I would like to see what weather conditions were that day!

• Heart 2

20 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

27 miles, on this sunny 45° breezy day

Great for you!!

I got to ride as well with 50o+ weather, but got  my first FLAT in a few years :frantics:

Luckily, I was right next to a rest area when I heard the thap-thap--thap and felt the tire go soft. Chatted with a woman pulling her pups in a Burley as I changed the tube and re-inflated with a CO2 cartridge. These are old tires (circa 2013), so I think a seven year run with them is a "fair" lifespan :)  I have to see if the tire is actually damaged too much or still good.

IMG_8403.thumb.JPG.670da2343fb007abc134b1a3e99af468.JPG

IMG_8407.thumb.JPG.e14738c544844d38f93149ce8e399112.JPG

IMG_8409.thumb.JPG.724d938649515b0a6d917ab8b632488f.JPG

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Great for you!!

I got to ride as well with 50o+ weather, but got  my first FLAT in a few years :frantics:

Luckily, I was right next to a rest area when I heard the thap-thap--thap and felt the tire go soft. Chatted with a woman pulling her pups in a Burley as I changed the tube and re-inflated with a CO2 cartridge. These are old tires (circa 2013), so I think a seven year run with them is a "fair" lifespan :)  I have to see if the tire is actually damaged too much or still good.

:)    I just seen you pics on Strava :(  I've used duck tape as an internal tire patch before, and that works very well. The tube will not go thru that.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Great for you!!

IMG_8403.thumb.JPG.670da2343fb007abc134b1a3e99af468.JPG

IMG_8407.thumb.JPG.e14738c544844d38f93149ce8e399112.JPG

IMG_8409.thumb.JPG.724d938649515b0a6d917ab8b632488f.JPG

That's a hell of a puncture. I carry a strip of packaging envelope for booting a tire.

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

:)    I just seen you pics on Strava :(  I've used duck tape as an internal tire patch before, and that works very well. The tube will not go thru that.

Yeah - they're my "winter" tires on my spare wheelset, but I have some Conti 4-seasons that can go on there instead.  The tread is still good, and likely only 3k miles on them as I don't put them on until winter, and take them off in spring. 

But that was a BIG ass piece of stick.  No idea where it was lurking, but it happened as I crossed a road, so could have been in the gutter.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - they're my "winter" tires on my spare wheelset, but I have some Conti 4-seasons that can go on there instead.  The tread is still good, and likely only 3k miles on them as I don't put them on until winter, and take them off in spring. 

But that was a BIG ass piece of stick.  No idea where it was lurking, but it happened as I crossed a road, so could have been in the gutter.

I'm a conti gator skin man myself :)

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

I'm a conti gator skin man myself :)

Yep - love those and have some still floating around in the garage.  Usually all in on the 4000s, now the 4000 II, but haven't hit the 5000s yet.  The 4 season are a nice option between the gatorskins and the 4000/5000 line.

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Yep - love those and have some still floating around in the garage.  Usually all in on the 4000s, now the 4000 II, but haven't hit the 5000s yet.  The 4 season are a nice option between the gatorskins and the 4000/5000 line.

I rode on 4000s for years, loved that tire.