Mazda CX 9 review

team scooter

We originally planned on getting a CX 5. Then, when the new CX 30 came out, we argued back and forth between that. But after our trip to Upper Michigan last week, and towing the snowmo trailer with my noisy 16 year old truck, we decided the CX 9 with the extra towing capacity would be the way to go.  So much so, after months of himing and hawing we finally pulled the trigger and bought one. The current dealer incentives didn't hurt either. Sure we still have new car smell/love lust. But so far it has exceeded all of our expectations. Though with the extra size, I needed to move stuff around and even take some cabinets off the wall in my garage. Hopefully the larger size wont be an issue for my wife in the parking lots.  And if she doesn't stop changing all the personal settings for all the fancy gadgets and driving nannies I'm going to flip. With the lane departure, and auto braking, it has its radar built into that over sized front emblem, with cameras on all four sides, it nearly has the ability to drive itself. But being that Mazda's philosophy is "Because Driving Matters" alarms will chime if you take your hands off the steering wheel for more then a few seconds. And yesterday I discovered the Sport Mode button. It changes how it shifts for more spirited driving, and Holly Mother Of Blessed Turbo Acceleration! is it fun to drive. Though the fuel mileage dropped like a rock.;) While its true, over the last decade my wife and I have become Mazda fanatics, I still would suggest if you're in the market, test driving any of their CUVs . Especially if you haven't test driven a new Mazda in the last year or so. Much has changed. :wub:

cx 9.1.jpg

cx 99.jpg

cx 9.0.jpg

cx9 side.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Envious 1

26 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

@Square Wheels, THIS is a car review. :D

So TS, what happened to the soul red? :D

Thoughout our marriage its always been, though we share everything, one car Mrs has the final say, the next I do etc. Even though Mrs will drive the "9"  more because its just too dang dusty/muddy where I work, its "technically" mine. She wanted red or white, I pulled rank and got the grey. The Miata was "technically" her car. She pulled rank and got red though I didn't argue because roadsters should be red. ;)  The truck is mine, Its grey. Our Mazda 3, though I drive it more, she pulled rank and got blue, etc, etc..

• Haha 1

But I though YOU were the red person?  Anyhoo, it turned out perfectly, because the main thing is the Miata is red, Mazda 3s should be blue, and charcoal is perfect for an suv, although red would have been very striking. My SIL wound up with a red car just because everything else was just right, and while he never would have picked red, he is liking it now. :)

Nice review. We’ve had the CX5 for three years now and my wife (her car) loves it. It hate the active driving display (shows speed and speed limits on the lower windshield) I find that it’s too distracting so I turn it off. The radar cruise control takes getting used to also. 

• Heart 1

Our dealer had three CX 9 Grand touring's in stock. Black, grey and white. Though they were willing to find a Soul Red, I fell in love with the grey one from across the lot. Same thing happened with my truck. Test drove a red one, brought the beautiful grey one parked next to it home. While the grey, black and white cars do get old after a while, some look like they were just made to be grey. And if the Mrs doesn't pick out and order a set of weathertech type floor mats, I'm going to order them myself. I still need to get it in for the remote start, tinted side windows and trailer hitch/wiring and it will be good for the next ten years. ;)

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Nice review. We’ve had the CX5 for three years now and my wife (her car) loves it. It hate the active driving display (shows speed and speed limits on the lower windshield) I find that it’s too distracting so I turn it off. The radar cruise control takes getting used to also. 

I noticed while I'm wearing my polarized sunglasses, I don't notice the heads up display much. Plus its set for Mrs so its out of my line of sight unless I tilt my head down. Also, not sure why, but the OEM tires have a very bad customer rating for snow, so I'll need to look into replacing them and or getting snow tire/wheels since we bought it for the AWD and driving in the snow UP north.