Speaking of eco stuff

Dirtyhip

20 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I found cellulose sponges that have a scrubby side made out of nut shells.  They are really nice and no plastic. 

JEEBUS!!!

Now we're gonna bleed the planet dry producing nut shells for scrubby sponges????? What other ingenious way will we come up with to destroy our environment? 

34 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

JEEBUS!!!

Now we're gonna bleed the planet dry producing nut shells for scrubby sponges????? What other ingenious way will we come up with to destroy our environment? 

Byproduct of the nut industry.  You don't eat them.  These would be trash, correct?

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Byproduct of the nut industry.  You don't eat them.  These would be trash, correct?

No. Surely there are a multitude of uses already.  Now you're just creating a market to create MORE waste to change to something "wholesome". 

What's wrong with plastic derived scrubby sponges????

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

No. Surely there are a multitude of uses already.  Now you're just creating a market to create MORE waste to change to something "wholesome". 

Many of the products made of manufactured materials were created to overcome shortcomings of the natural materials. Not least is the lack of availability of natural materials. Consider the priority and scale of production utilizing natural resources.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What is wrong with using a natural product? 

Like microfiber, it sheds.  I have never seen plastic biodegradable sponges for sale.  Usually, I use a rag, but it will not remove stuck on things.  

It's Monday.  Give me a break.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

A lot of nut shells are ground up and used as filler in livestock feed.

WalnutShells.jpg

The Central Valley of California produces more than 1.6 million tons of orchard waste and nutshells annually from around

1 million acres of almond, pistachio and walnut orchards. (Above) walnut shells for disposal (photo courtesy Markku Bjökman).

https://bioenergyinternational.com/biofuels-oils/aemetis-signs-long-term-lease-cellulosic-ethanol-plant-site-california

• Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Is there a brand name you recommend?

Can you nuke them while moist to kill germs?

Full circle are what these are.  I assume you can cook them.  I have used this trick.  A chemist friend told me I am weakening the sponge.  LOL, I told her that it is no big deal, because it will likely be tossed, before I need to worry about lack of strength.  

My only concern is that the sponge is white. Really white! Like bleached white.  

38 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Full circle are what these are.  I assume you can cook them.  I have used this trick.  A chemist friend told me I am weakening the sponge.  LOL, I told her that it is no big deal, because it will likely be tossed, before I need to worry about lack of strength.  

My only concern is that the sponge is white. Really white! Like bleached white.  

The bleached white would make it easier to see how dirty the sponge is and tell if bacteria is growing in it.  So actually probably useful.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:16 PM, BuffJim said:

Could they make them from the backs of women’s thighs?  Endless source of renewable materials. 

And I remember a line from Steinbeck's East of Eden: "Oh, strawberries don’t taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

• Hugs 1

On 2/23/2020 at 10:21 AM, Dirtyhip said:

I found cellulose sponges that have a scrubby side made out of nut shells.  They are really nice and no plastic. 

When they are all done, they can be composted.

Everyone should buy them.  Especially, Randomguy.

:D

Nut shells composted??  You're right.  RG needs those.