Writing cherry blossom blog post -happy, hopeful

shootingstar

I like to check out the cherry blossom webcam on the national park site, but I don't see a link.  Maybe they don't have it up yet.  Spring does help liven up the last part of winter - one reason it's the second best season. :nodhead:.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

:) I'm only allergic to a certain budding tree.  And those trees exist on Vancouver Island.  It's not cherry trees....thankfully.  

Here in the Washington DC area, most of the population suffers when the pollen flies. We have many flowering trees and shrubbery that everything is coated in a yellow green film. At the height of the season your eyes feel like sand is inside your eyelids.

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

Here in the Washington DC area, most of the population suffers when the pollen flies. We have many flowering trees and shrubbery that everything is coated in a yellow green film. At the height of the season your eyes feel like sand is inside your eyelids.

Hmmm...not sure if this yellow green film appears...where?  Vancouver is fecund as a temperate zone with more dense, larger shrubbery, bigger /denser flowers than most parts of Canada.  Certainly more than southern Ontario. So am curious about this "film" from pollen.

8 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

We get the green yellow film in places here on the island....., luckily I am not one to have issues with pollen

You mean on tree bark or on certain surfaces..like table or car or??  I'm abit lost.  I'm not sure what I'm allergic to on Vancouver island...except in late spring/early summer I get sniffles when we vacation on the island or just bike around for a few hrs.  Then I return to Vancouver (city), I'm fine.

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

You mean on tree bark or on certain surfaces..like table or car or??  I'm abit lost.  I'm not sure what I'm allergic to on Vancouver island...except in late spring/early summer I get sniffles when we vacation on the island or just bike around for a few hrs.  Then I return to Vancouver (city), I'm fine.

Cars, the patio furniture, some cases the edges of the road and sidewalks.  Not in huge city wide areas but in certain concentrated areas

14 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Cars, the patio furniture, some cases the edges of the road and sidewalks.  Not in huge city wide areas but in certain concentrated areas

Well, true I've taken for granted the green slight sheen on some sidewalks, bike paths..on the edges.  I didn't think of it that way before.  On rock surfaces, boulders...which is not moss...

I'm always amazed, joggling between Calgary and Vancouver...the difference between how fast mould can grow in Vancouver and not in Calgary..hardly at all. So dearie decided to run a dehumidifier in Vancouver...gee 7 litres of water after only 2 days.

Before I moved from southern Ontario, I had this hare-brained idea that the rest of the Canada (except for Arctic) was similar in climate.  Well it's all in northern temperate zone...but some noticeable differences not felt/experienced until one lives in a different region.  ie. had no clue about cherry blossom tree buddiing bonanza in Vancouver when I lived in Toronto.

• Heart 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to feel happier and I miss Vancouver a lot right now.  So I added more photos of cherry blossom trees and blooming azalea flower bushes I took last spring...to my blog post.  It will be published next month.

It feels like a dream last spring...increasingly the controls are coming across Canada to contain us.

Best time would be early morning, less people. There are various bike routes for scenic ride in Vancouver....and some areas aren't like the above traffic at all. Very quiet residential streets on bike would be safe solo or with another cyclist.  I don't talk much or at all on rides anyway.  Even with dearie.  We've been like this for years.