Winter 2019-2020 Snow Totals????

Razors Edge

So, how are your snow totals for the season so far?

DC area has probably gotten 3"-6" total in about a half-dozen "snow" events. No snow lasted on the ground beyond probably 48 hours.  This compared to our normal ~2 ft of cumulative snow (Google says Fairfax averages 22 inches of snow per year. )

How about you?

Way below average. We’re usually in the 209-250 inches per year range. I’ve seen 320. This year we are at about 120 thus far. That said, the lake is still wide open so some cold weather and a bit of wind could catch us up pretty quick.

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It ain’t over till the fat lady sings. March is coming when we usually get some of our heaviest snow.

This.  We are about 80-82 which makes us the current winners in the golden snowball contest between the five cities in central ny. Usually @BuffJim’s badazz town wins. 

• Awesome 1

Golden Snowball Totals for the 2019 - 2020 Snowfall Season Updated 2/23/2020 at 8:00 PM

GSB Cities The 2019 - 2020
Snow Season
Normal Average 
to Date
This Time 
Last Season
Normal
Seasons Average
All Time Season 
Snowfall Record

Rochester 80.9 75.1 72.4 99.5 161.7 inches (1959 - 1960)
Syracuse 70.9 97.7 84.9 123.8 192.1 inches (1992 - 1993)
Binghamton 59.4 60.8 68.6 83.4 135.2 inches (2016 - 2017)
Buffalo 57.0 76.0 101.1 94.7 199.4 inches (1976 - 1977)
Albany 42.2 44.8 41.1 60.2 112.5 inches (1970 - 1971)
  • Heart 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Is that "high", "low", or "about normal"?  I feel like you folks out west are in the "higher" than normal category again this year.

It started late, but Jan set a record. We should get to 500" before the resort closes for the season. This seems pretty normal. I think we hit 500' the last three years. 

• Awesome 1

15 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

So, how are your snow totals for the season so far?

DC area has probably gotten 3"-6" total in about a half-dozen "snow" events. No snow lasted on the ground beyond probably 48 hours.  This compared to our normal ~2 ft of cumulative snow (Google says Fairfax averages 22 inches of snow per year. )

How about you?

Baltimore is set to have it's first February in history without a single flake of snow, with rain today and tomorrow in the high-40's to 60's then dry the rest of the week and above freezing.

There's a Feb. 20 Washington Post article with the headline, "A year has passed since Washington’s last inch of snow" and supposed Baltimore has had less than 2".

I think you're a little more accurate with around 3".  Once in January, I had to brush with a broom about 1/2" of snow off a roofed, shady porch where the wind blew snow and brush light snow off my car a couple times - I refuse to drive down the streets and have snow peel-off and onto other cars, etc.  That's all my snow clearing work for this Winter because weather and sun cleared the sidewalks by noon of the following day after snow.