The Story of My Shower

Kirby

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

I checked for leaked water and didn't feel anything wet.  This made me feel slightly better.

Then I realized that despite living in this condo for over 20 years, I was turning the shower handle the wrong way and kept turning it for colder water.

I do the opposite mistake on occasion. The coldest tap water in my house comes out of the bathtub's cold water tap for some reason. The cold tap is farther from the edge of the tub than the hot one and sometimes I forget, reach for the closest tap, and fill my water bottle up with water that feels cold when I start but I end up with warm water.

I've had trouble with some clogging in the pipes between my kitchen water drains and the main waste water line. I've put Drano, a friends twisting cleaning tool, and other stuff down the things trying to clean them.  I got in the habit of turning the water off rather than let it run.

Last week I got up to make breakfast and realized I had left the kitchen sink water running for about 14 hours.  I look at the floor. Dry!  I looked in the basement. Dry!  I think I solved the clogging problem, but I wonder what my next water bill will be.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

My wife once asked me to check the hot water tank. She didn’t think the water was as hot as it should be. I ran some water and it felt ok to me. The next day she said it was getting colder. I checked the breaker and it wasn’t tripped, I took the covers off the heating elements and they had no power. I figured the only thing it could be was to power command unit that the power company installed on the side of the house. I went outside and unscrewed the cover from the power command unit. There was no power command unit, it was a scam. The wires from the breaker box went through the wall and into the power command box where they made a U-turn and went back inside to the hot water tank. 
I took the cover off the breaker box to investigate further. 
It turns out the box was marked wrong and the spare 220 breaker was marked hot water tank. I don’t know how it got turned off. I turned it back on and we had hot water.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Last week I got up to make breakfast and realized I had left the kitchen sink water running for about 14 hours. 

I went outside to go to work one Monday AM & there was water flowing out of the drain from the back yard. Hmm. Go into back yard & the hose is running. I turn it off & later when I call Wo2, I ask when was the last time she watered the plants in the back yard.

"Saturday."

"OK, "I sez, "I turned it off this AM if that's OK with you."

"Smartazz," she sez like it's my fault.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I went outside to go to work one Monday AM & there was water flowing out of the drain from the back yard. Hmm. Go into back yard & the hose is running. I turn it off & later when I call Wo2, I ask when was the last time she watered the plants in the back yard.

"Saturday."

"OK, "I sez, "I turned it off this AM if that's OK with you."

"Smartazz," she sez like it's my fault.

which of course it was.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Kirby said:

This made me concerned. My first thought was maybe the power had gone out  during the day and the hot water heater was off for some time,

@Kirby, I really hate to do this.  It was such a great story.  You kept me on the edge of my chair wondering what was going to happen next.  I loved it.  But I must point out this one little tiny things.  It is a water heater.  Not a hot water heater.  You don't heat hot water.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

@Kirby, I really hate to do this.  It was such a great story.  You kept me on the edge of my chair wondering what was going to happen next.  I loved it.  But I must point out this one little tiny things.  It is a water heater.  Not a hot water heater.  You don't heat hot water.  

I am just glad to read your post and find out you did not ask for pictures, as that would be very, very wrong to do in this situation, wouldn't it?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

Friday night I came home from work tired from the long week and eager for a nice hot shower.  I turned on the water and was surprised that it wasn't very hot.  This made me annoyed.  I turned the handle even further and the water didn't get any hotter.  This made me concerned. My first thought was maybe the power had gone out  during the day and the hot water heater was off for some time, but I didn't have any evidence that the power had gone out (the water heater runs on electricity). This made me perplexed.  Then I thought that maybe my hot water heater was broken.  This made me very concerned because I was afraid the water was leaking from the heater.  Then I realized I would have to clean out all the stuff from the closet and take down the closet shelving so the repairman could get to the closet where the water heater is located.  This made me sort of frantic and depressed.  I took a very quick, cold shower because I wanted to go check on the possibly leaking water.  This made me anxious.

After the shower, I checked for leaked water and didn't feel anything wet.  This made me feel slightly better.  Then I checked the water in the kitchen and there was hot water.  This made me feel more optimistic but also confused.

Then I went back to the shower to try to test that water.  It was still pretty cold which made me more confused.  Then I realized that despite living in this condo for over 20 years, I was turning the shower handle the wrong way and kept turning it for colder water.  This made me feel relieved and very silly.

The End.

I am relieved for you.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1