Question of the day

Airehead

5 minutes ago, Zealot said:

And you? Better yet, what’s the impetus behind the question?

Saw a news clip on a high school athlete who is opting to go to the best academic school versus u oversight of Alabama football program. Quarantine will make you think about th8ngs. 

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Saw a news clip on a high school athlete who is opting to go to the best academic school versus u oversight of Alabama football program. Quarantine will make you think about th8ngs. 

It was an interesting question. Was just wondering what brought it to mind. :-)

Sorry to hear you’re  sick. And your husband? Heart surgery?

I'd say smart, because most "best" athletes have to transition our of competition at a relatively young age and that adjustment can be hard.

But if I got to pick anything, I'd vote for the most content.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

And again, depends on the room.  If it was just a room with me and Steven Hawking I would say smartest because I am pretty sure how I am right now I could kick his ass in a fight without being the best athlete.

Or in a room Mike Tyson in his prime, I would say athlete because well...., it doesnt say how much smarter you would be and I could actually lose IQ points in the deal if I picked smartest

Depends on where each bar is set in a given room

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, Airehead said:

As to the original question, “smartest” would be my preference. But as to this athlete in question, I think it depends on what his life aspirations are. Using athletic talent to get a scholarship at (or simply admission to) a prestigious University is wonderful. But if he’s got the elite talent and desire to make a career out of football, going to a football powerhouse might also be a smart move.

And of course smart doesn’t always mean best educated.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

best athlete at least indicates the possibility of good health, unless your sport is bowling or darts.

Man, you ever seen some retired athletes? If the contact sport ones aren't batting TBI effects, then their joints sound like rusty hinges.  It ain't pretty.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Man, you ever seen some retired athletes? If the contact sport ones aren't batting TBI effects, then their joints sound like rusty hinges.  It ain't pretty.

She did not say retired pro athlete.  She said best athlete.  The best athlete in the world probably lives in some remote corner of the world where football does not even exist.

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

She did not say retired pro athlete.  She said best athlete.  The best athlete in the world probably lives in some remote corner of the world where football does not even exist.

I got that! But "current" athletes become "retired" athletes. So, short term - WOOHOO!!!! - but long term - YOWZA!.

A person's brain hopefully works well through to the end (or close to the end). 

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I got that! But "current" athletes become "retired" athletes. So, short term - WOOHOO!!!! - but long term - YOWZA!.

A person's brain hopefully works well through to the end (or close to the end). 

Again, who says that the best athlete is involved in a contact sport?  Might just be some herdsman on the Serengeti with incredible cardio and hand eye coordination who only competes against the predators that are trying to kill and eat his herd.  

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Again, who says that the best athlete is involved in a contact sport?  Might just be some herdsman on the Serengeti with incredible cardio and hand eye coordination who only competes against the predators that are trying to kill and eat his herd.  

So, "smartest guy in the room" or the "herdsman on the Serengeti with incredible cardio and hand eye coordination who only competes against the predators that are trying to kill and eat his herd. "?

I'm going smartest guy.

Just remember, you could be the smartest guy in the room and still be among the 10 dumbest people in the building.

Also I've found being the smartest in the room isn't usually much fun, especially when the room is full of some of the dumbest people in the building.  :(

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

You had post #42 and you ruined it with that crap?!?

ALL DAY LONG!!!!  Screw #42!

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Just remember, you could be the smartest guy in the room and still be among the 10 dumbest people in the building.

Also I've found being the smartest in the room isn't usually much fun, especially when the room is full of some of the dumbest people in the building.  :(

Yeah we addressed that earlier.  Smartest in a room full of idiots. Most athletic in room full of uncoordinated oafs.

Smartest, even though I'm a relatively poor athlete who had to work hard to be a so-so athlete and get 3 high school varsity letters and wished I had better results.

There have been many times I've talked to certain wealthy people or good athletes and felt sorry for them for having to go through life being not very bright. There are just so many things that you can experience by being bright, even if not the smartest, and expanding your experiences so you understand more allows you to experience the things going on in your life a little better.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1