my colleague just brought in paczkis

bikeman564™

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Our cafeteria isn't selling them :(. They're very big around here, too.  I'm giving up sugar for lent, so gotta get a paczki today. Not sure why there's no N is the spelling, because there definitely is one in the pronunciation.

Polish words are spelled with one vowel and 20 consonants :D

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

Not a fan.  Too much fat.  And I'm not a fan of most of the popular filling including and especially prune.  I got in trouble from one of the employees here for not bringing a dozen in to the office.  The gas station I stopped at this morning has a convenience store (like all do) and a bakery.  I was able to walk right past the large stack of them by the front door.

In the Wilkes-Barre Area there are places that sell them as well as a lot of other Polish stuff like Poppy Seed Rolls and kielbasa in various flavors: garlic, etc.

My Polish-cooking relatives tell me they can't find duck's blood ("illegal to sell it today") for Czernina ("Duck's Blood Soup" often called "Chocolate Soup" for it's color) which is made from poultry blood, dried fruits - especially prunes, and, in variations, some veggies and meat.  It probably originated as a very-poor people's nutrition, but it evolved into a sweet soup tasting very good.

• Heart 1

I got some a few weeks ago.  I almost got cream filled ones which would be a big disappointment.  But I realized my mistake before I checked out and got blueberry filled.   The blueberry filling was very bleh and made them sort of tasteless.  I ended up throwing them out.  :(

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

I got some a few weeks ago.  I almost got cream filled ones which would be a big disappointment.  But I realized my mistake before I checked out and got blueberry filled.   The blueberry filling was very bleh and made them sort of tasteless.  I ended up throwing them out.  :(

And if you think blueberry makes them tasteless try prune filling.   

• Haha 1

Some of the bakeries around here sell an imitation of them, but I'm guessing yours are better. Kolaches are the popular ethnic European pastry around here. We also like to get pastries from the Mexican and Cuban shops in town. Not as sweet as traditional bakery fare, but we like them a lot. 

• Awesome 1

42 minutes ago, groupw said:

Some of the bakeries around here sell an imitation of them, but I'm guessing yours are better. Kolaches are the popular ethnic European pastry around here. We also like to get pastries from the Mexican and Cuban shops in town. Not as sweet as traditional bakery fare, but we like them a lot. 

Grew up eating these.  A trip to Texas is not complete without Cajun food, bar-b-que, and kolaches.

• Heart 2

AMAZING COINCIDENCE - Paczki at Aldi!

I shopped at Aldi today - the store originated in Germany and often temporarily carries Schnitzels, Spaetzles (a sort of chewy, solid macaroni), and various Central European rarities.

Here's what it had in 4 packs today - I've never before seen it sold locally, I picked up a 4-pack and will have one (?) for dessert tonight!

900p-20200226_162601.thumb.jpg.7c77423bdf01c2d3b23cd98aa9d6a83f.jpg  900p-20200226_162643.jpg.35bd2df0a283726e90f08a10f0458493.jpg