2am

BR46

Why do smoke detectors make the low battery chirping noise at 2am? And it has to be the smoke detector right outside the bedroom door so it can not be ignored. 

I think the guy who invented the thing thought it would be funny if the battery would always go dead at 2am. I had a hard time falling back asleep after that. 

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Why do smoke detectors make the low battery chirping noise at 2am? And it has to be the smoke detector right outside the bedroom door so it can not be ignored. 

I think the guy who invented the thing thought it would be funny if the battery would always go dead at 2am. I had a hard time falling back asleep after that. 

Work is gonna suck today.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Mine is hardwired...imagine looking for the breaker in the middle of the night...but also still need an alarm clock (no my phone is not my alarm)...and just pulling breakers :wacko:

If I had know you were awake...I would have called you...I was up tossing and turning over bored stuff!!

So if your smoke alarm is hard wired does it chirp if you forgot to pay your electric bill?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

If I had know you were awake...I would have called you...I was up tossing and turning over bored stuff!!

No, it fails to go off when your power fails and you are using candles and your fireplace and embers set something on fire.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:55 AM, petitepedal said:

Mine is hardwired...imagine looking for the breaker in the middle of the night...but also still need an alarm clock (no my phone is not my alarm)...and just pulling breakers :wacko:

If hardwired it should still have a battery backup.

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

If hardwired it should still have a battery backup.

Ours are "hardwired" in some sort of network where they can all start beotching at one time (not the chirps though).  But they all have batteries as well. Last replacement go around we went with the lithium 10 year sealed ones that you toss at the end of their life but don't actually have to replace the 9v battery every year. 

They still chirp and it isn't the damn battery - it is dust or something on the damn sensors. And it is always at 2am and it is always the one that is located 16' up on the ceiling so I have to drag a freaking ladder into the house to shut it up :angry:

• Haha 1