Happy hump day.

Longjohn

We had such heavy fog last night it knocked out our internet. I turned off WiFi and it cellular signal was gone as well. We still have fog but the signal is back. The guy from Verizon told me I was paying for too much data. He said we didn’t use ANY this year and we are paying for 6 gigs. I told him I basically have not left the house this year except for a few quick grocery runs and my wife hasn’t left her bed.

I’ll have to raise that back up if I ever get out of here. I cut it back to 2 gigs.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

We had such heavy fog last night it knocked out our internet. I turned off WiFi and it cellular signal was gone as well. We still have fog but the signal is back. The guy from Verizon told me I was paying for too much data. He said we didn’t use ANY this year and we are paying for 6 gigs. I told him I basically have not left the house this year except for a few quick grocery runs and my wife hasn’t left her bed.

I’ll have to raise that back up if I ever get out of here. I cut it back to 2 gigs.

For a cell data plan, 6 gigs is a lot of data per month. 2 gigs is a lot of data per month.  If you were a big video streamer or constantly used Spotify or the like, then I'd see the need.  What sucks for most of us is the tier pricing - something like 200 MB jumps next to 2 GB so basically you go from way too little to way more than enough. 

There are folks who want/need the unlimited plans but most of us, if you peruse the usage patterns, aren't them!

Comcast plan:  If you have cable and internet from Comcast, you can have up to 4 lines total for about $12 month total (not each) as long as your data is under 1GB.  You can hook up to wifi for free.  You can place unlimited calls and text for free.  You can be on the internet all you want for free through wifi.  You only pay more if you go over 1gb of data without wifi and then you pay $12 more for the next gig.

That's for 4 phones.  As a new customer they will also give you some incentive to buy a phone.

They just changing to the minimum pricing of $12 for the first gig.  For the last couple of years the first 100K was free and you only paid the $12 if you went over that.  My bill for this last cycle was $0.14 as there seems to have been some little fee overcharge in the past.  My $201 phone and that of my wife were $1 each (LG).

Check up on it as it might be worth it to you.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Comcast plan:  If you have cable and internet from Comcast, you can have up to 4 lines total for about $12 month total (not each) as long as your data is under 1GB.  You can hook up to wifi for free.  You can place unlimited calls and text for free.  You can be on the internet all you want for free through wifi.  You only pay more if you go over 1gb of data without wifi and then you pay $12 more for the next gig.

That's for 4 phones.  As a new customer they will also give you some incentive to buy a phone.

They just changing to the minimum pricing of $12 for the first gig.  For the last couple of years the first 100K was free and you only paid the $12 if you went over that.  My bill for this last cycle was $0.14 as there seems to have been some little fee overcharge in the past.  My $201 phone and that of my wife were $1 each (LG).

Check up on it as it might be worth it to you.

Sadly, I think LJ can't get Comcast in his neck of the woods :(  Stuck on satellite internet???

And, as an aside, my wife and I share our data, and average in the 4gb/month range. I've upped streaming of shows while on Metro, so over time am edging towards 6gb/month.  I know folks with kids who crush their data plans. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Is this supposed to be a big storm? You have a lot of catching up to do if you are going to catch up to Airhead. I know you can do it.

5 to 9 inches with very strong winds. We probably won't catch up. Biggest concern is the Thursday AM commute. My daughter's care isn't good in the snow, so I've offered to chauffer her if she can't work from home.

• Awesome 1

30 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That’s great if you live in civilization. We are too far out in the boondocks to get any cable or dsl. We do have a Verizon cell tower three miles away. Not a good enough signal for live-streaming.

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

We do have a Verizon cell tower three miles away. Not a good enough signal for live-streaming.

Have you tried any methods to boost your reception? There are all sorts of doodads to help with that, and a one time hit to install/upgrade to better cell service might be a cheaper alternative to keeping cell AND satellite internet.

46 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

For a cell data plan, 6 gigs is a lot of data per month. 2 gigs is a lot of data per month.  If you were a big video streamer or constantly used Spotify or the like, then I'd see the need.  What sucks for most of us is the tier pricing - something like 200 MB jumps next to 2 GB so basically you go from way too little to way more than enough. 

There are folks who want/need the unlimited plans but most of us, if you peruse the usage patterns, aren't them!

We were always using around six gigs. Sometimes we went over. My wife blamed it on me running Strava on my bike rides. I don’t think that was what was was doing it.

We had our daughter in law on our plan since before she was our daughter in law and we also have my mother in law on the plan.

My son always had a work phone, when he switched jobs last year he had to get his own phone so he put his wife on his plan. Two gigs might be enough now with the changes.

It's rainy. The temperatures have dropped to the 40's - almost a tee-shirt day outside after being acclimatized by previous winters but a good coat day this year.

I have a $59.19 gift certificate for Costco - from my 2019 Citi-Costco Visa cash-back rewards - and today's fun is figuring out how to spend it.

I am debating about buying their fresh-made, 4 lb, very-excellent meatloaf and mashed potatoes, $3.99/lb, that you take home and bake. It's hard to pass up for me. Add a green veggie and it's good for 4 big meals. I'm also getting a case of 20 oz. Diet Snapple - the only place I can find it in plastic, not glass, bottles and a jar of cashews or chocolate covered almonds - nuts in candy keep my blood sugar from spiking.  If I don't find other stuff on which to spend the rest, I'll get a 2nd case of Diet Snapple - I'll use 2 cases in a couple months, so they won't go bad before I consume them.

My differences from video below: tent the Al foil and it takes longer than the about 70 min. the instructions call for - more like 90-100 at the temp. called for. So I raise the oven temp. to 375° and, if my instant-read thermometer doesn't say 160° for the meatloaf after 70 min. I raise the oven temp to 400° and cook until 160° is reached: the "official" min temp for ground beef because e-coli dies at 155°.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Have you tried any methods to boost your reception? There are all sorts of doodads to help with that, and a one time hit to install/upgrade to better cell service might be a cheaper alternative to keeping cell AND satellite internet.

We had signed up for a Verizon hot spot internet service. The installer had some kind of gadget that measured the signal strength. He told us it was unlikely that we could get as good a signal as our satellite. The device that he was going to mount on our house was quite the gadget, I’m guessing it was a signal booster. We told him not to waste his time if it couldn’t improve our service.

• Heart 1