Godspeed Mr. Cussler

jsharr

15 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You and Al and Dirk and many others have given me countless hours of adventure and entertainment.

Godspeed on your next adventure sir.

Clive Cussler is one of my favorite authors and I have read many of his books.

He has a huge fan base and a trademarked name. I'm sure you will continue to see "Clive Cussler" novels in the future.

A friend of mine has taken up writing the Vince Flynn novels.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, dennis said:

He has a huge fan base and a trademarked name. I'm sure you will continue to see "Clive Cussler" novels in the future.

A friend of mine has taken up writing the Vince Flynn novels.

Not much more makes me dislike "mainstream" writing than faking another author's work/style.  From good old L Ron Hubbard to Tom Clancy to apparently Cussler.  Eventually Stephen King will die, but I guess that "brand" will go on.

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The new stuff by Shakespeare is not that bad.

Do we really even know if old stuff by Shakespeare is really written by Shakespeare? 

I REALLY hated the 4th "Dragon Tattoo" book written with the notes from Larsson but by a new guy - so much so I haven't read the 5th and 6th. I probably should give him another try, but I just was so disappointed.

image.png.c0aefb3171d38d7d1cd6facc1cd260c6.png

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Not much more makes me dislike "mainstream" writing than faking another author's work/style.  From good old L Ron Hubbard to Tom Clancy to apparently Cussler.  Eventually Stephen King will die, but I guess that "brand" will go on.

The new Vince Flynn novels get great critical reviews. Some of the James Patterson books written by others are really well received too.

This is nothing new. Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, should anyone other than Lucas be allowed to write SW? Or TV shows with multiple writers?

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, dennis said:

The new Vince Flynn novels get great critical reviews. Some of the James Patterson books written by others are really well received too.

This is nothing new. Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, should anyone other than Lucas be allowed to write SW? Or TV shows with multiple writers?

New "Patterson" books are BS. New books based on and/or using characters from Patterson books - solely attributed to the new author - are fair game. 

Star Wars is actually a good model.  Anyone can write for the "universe" (assuming trademark/copyright/licensing deals), and NONE claim to be "George Lucas". 

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

New "Patterson" books are BS. New books based on and/or using characters from Patterson books - solely attributed to the new author - are fair game. 

Star Wars is actually a good model.  Anyone can write for the "universe" (assuming trademark/copyright/licensing deals), and NONE claim to be "George Lucas". 

Why are they bs? Some written by others get better reviews than the ones written by James himself.

Think about how many TV shows are written by multiple authors.

The only problem I have with it is when they don't credit the actual author. They should. Clancy tried that. It failed

Just now, dennis said:

why are they bs? some written by others get better reviews than the one written by James himself.

Think about how many TV shows are written by multiple authors.

the only problem I have with it is when they don't credit the actual author. They should. Clancy tried that. It failed

They aren't Patterson. Or Cussler.

If Joe Blow writes an "Alex Cross" novel, that's how it should be credited.  The new book in the Alex Cross series.  Not as a Patterson book (unless he is writing part of it). 

TV shows - like Star Wars - already do it that way.  It's not Chuck Lorre's Big Bang Theory.  It is Big Bang Theory.  Writers are credited in the intro.

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

They aren't Patterson. Or Cussler.

If Joe Blow writes an "Alex Cross" novel, that's how it should be credited.  The new book in the Alex Cross series.  Not as a Patterson book (unless he is writing part of it). 

TV shows - like Star Wars - already do it that way.  It's not Chuck Lorre's Big Bang Theory.  It is Big Bang Theory.  Writers are credited in the intro.

Like this?

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRNhs50JydL72Xo81rxp

The Guardian noted that in the early 2000s, Cussler agreed to work with co-authors in order to publish more frequently. " 'I don't give a damn,' he said in a 2015 interview, in reply to criticism of the move. 'I never had a highfalutin view of what I write. It's a job. I entertain my readers. I get up in the morning and I start typing.... I want it to be easy to read. I'm not writing exotic literature. I like snappy dialogue and short descriptions and lots of action."

Another one due in March.

image.jpeg.645d5df0f8784956067eeb4c1810a5b4.jpeg

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, dennis said:

The Guardian noted that in the early 2000s, Cussler agreed to work with co-authors in order to publish more frequently. " 'I don't give a damn,' he said in a 2015 interview, in reply to criticism of the move. 'I never had a highfalutin view of what I write. It's a job. I entertain my readers. I get up in the morning and I start typing.... I want it to be easy to read. I'm not writing exotic literature. I like snappy dialogue and short descriptions and lots of action."

Another one due in March.

image.jpeg.645d5df0f8784956067eeb4c1810a5b4.jpeg

I wonder, on a %age basis, what he wrote versus Mr Brown.  I get the marketing and capitalization of fame/brand thing.  But I prefer the "actually wrote the book" thing.  But, good for Brown getting - hopefully - a HEFTY paycheck and %age of the profit.

39 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I wonder, on a %age basis, what he wrote versus Mr Brown.  I get the marketing and capitalization of fame/brand thing.  But I prefer the "actually wrote the book" thing.  But, good for Brown getting - hopefully - a HEFTY paycheck and %age of the profit.

Not sure about Clive, but one of Patterson's authors wrote an essay about the process. He made it sound like James was more of an editor working on plot and an outline, then the author put pen to paper. This author said it made him a better writer. 

Kyle Mills: The reviews his Mitch books receive are excellent.

My goal with The Survivor is to stick very closely to Vince’s style and to try to capture Mitch exactly as he did. I’m lucky that The Last Man included a lot of clues as to where Mitch’s story would go next. The hope is to create a book that even lifelong fans will have a hard time differentiating from the rest of the series. Not an easy task, but I’m working hard to get as close as I can.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:14 PM, dennis said:

The Hardy Boys is not an exact parallel as there was no real Franklin W Dixon.There were multiple authors who stepped into the role. Leslie McFarlane was one of the main ones.