schoolkids freed of school walls prison- Wuhan

shootingstar

According to my coworker (who has parents & her sister living in Wuhan now/past few decades), her 12 yr. nephew like all children in Wuhan and teens, are doing school learning, remotely from home.

He loves it....because he doesn't have to go school during this city's lockdown.  My coworker thinks for sure he needs in person, guidance to discipline him and focus.  

My opinion:  Whatever people think of online learning courses replacing in-class teachers for children from elementary to high school, have to be fooling themselves.  Honest. Come on even the majority at those ages. Even the smart kids will dick around.  

But hey maybe more senior high school kids are doing fantastically well.  Last summer, 17-yr. old niece did her high school accounting Gr. 12 course completely online.  Apparently she did well.

Is this a common practice, in your school district...some .fully online courses and learning for high school, middle school??

In my final 2 years in high school, I did do very well on 2 courses where 70% of mark was on a major project.  I really got into the research for the projects...and this was before days of Internet (research).

I'm just glad the little guy is safe.  This won't last forever and he will get back to regular school.  This is hopefully temporary.

But yea, I needed direction in school.  Even with that direction, I did poorly in school as I had ADHD and I was pretty much insane.  I can't imagine 12 year old Couch_Incident doing online work on my personal timeline.  

But hey, if it works for some, that's cool.

Mudkipz

One of my children (the boy) has his mother's study habits and would do very well with online courses as he had a great work ethic and would just get the work done.  In fact in his last two years of his Mech Eng degree he had at least three instances (that I know of) where the prof had very poor english language skills and/or poor teaching skills and he just stopped going to class and would spend the class time in the library self teaching himself the material from text books and lab manuals.  His last 12 credits were 11 A's and 1 B+

The two girls unfortunately had my study habits/ study dicipline habits and as such online courses would not have worked for them (or me)

13 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

One of my children (the boy) has his mother's study habits and would do very well with online courses as he had a great work ethic and would just get the work done.  In fact in his last two years of his Mech Eng degree he had at least three instances (that I know of) where the prof had very poor english language skills and/or poor teaching skills and he just stopped going to class and would spend the class time in the library self teaching himself the material from text books and lab manuals.  His last 12 credits were 11 A's and 1 B+

The two girls unfortunately had my study habits/ study dicipline habits and as such online courses would not have worked for them (or me)

I was thinking more of  younger kids, not those in college nor university programs.

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I was thinking more of  younger kids, not those in college nor university programs.

I was just using the Universiry as an example.  I was more thinking of them in the grade 8-12 age. (13-17 years old)  Not aure how he would have done at a younger age.  My oldest, once in University and studying things of interest to her may have been able to do online studies, with satisfactory results.  

I think online courses do not suit most students in  normal situations but I have no data other than my own experiences in the youth as my kids were growing up.  Myvwife is still in the education world, this will give us a good coversation topic over tonights dinner

My son is presently teaching 36 students in Shenzhen from my dining room table 3 nights a week (morning there).  It's tough dealing with 36 kids on a computer screen.  Some of the kids are looking at the camera but doing other things.  There is no choice however as the school facility is closed till further notice.  The very best estimates are the middle of next month, but that's unrealistic as no one knows what they are planning on for disinfecting the school before reopening.  They don't even know what's in the school if anything.  Online school may be standard for some time to come yet in parts of China.

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

My son is presently teaching 36 students in Shenzhen from my dining room table 3 nights a week (morning there).  It's tough dealing with 36 kids on a computer screen.  Some of the kids are looking at the camera but doing other things.  There is no choice however as the school facility is closed till further notice.  The very best estimates are the middle of next month, but that's unrealistic as no one knows what they are planning on for disinfecting the school before reopening.  They don't even know what's in the school if anything.  Online school may be standard for some time to come yet in parts of China.

Thx max..how old are the children whom he is teaching?

This evening, I just talked to my doctor-sister in Toronto.  As a physician she desperately wants to believe the pandemic will be gone by May. She doesn't think so.  In her personal opinion and because of frequency of global travel for business, personal, etc., quarantines, only SLOW down the virus.

She was originally planning to fly out to Vancouver in June with hubby and 2 young kids.  They aren't booking any flights anywhere now.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Thx max..how old are the children whom he is teaching?

This evening, I just talked to my doctor-sister in Toronto.  As a physician she desperately wants to believe the pandemic will be gone by May. She doesn't think so.  In her personal opinion and because of frequency of global travel for business, personal, etc., quarantines, only SLOW down the virus.

She was originally planning to fly out to Vancouver in June with hubby and 2 young kids.  They aren't booking any flights anywhere now.

15 and 16.  Years ago he taught younger students but he laughs and says that now that he's an old man (40) it's nice to be able to hold serious conversations with his students.

• Heart 1