LOL, who does this make you think of?

2Far

10 minutes ago, groupw said:

Personalized plates are a bigger indicator around here. 

In the land of personalized plates (Virginia has bazillions), it's by far car brand that is the indicator versus all other factors.  Oddly, here though, Audi drivers take the top spot nowadays.  Prius drivers are still generally the "worst" drivers, but Audi drivers tend to be the most aggressive.  The Dodge cars have come up high into the "stupidest" drivers - going balls out on the highway in heavy traffic.

Used to be BMWs were top of the heap, but perhaps Darwin or aging pushed them aside.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

In the land of personalized plates (Virginia has bazillions), it's by far car brand that is the indicator versus all other factors.  Oddly, here though, Audi drivers take the top spot nowadays.  Prius drivers are still generally the "worst" drivers, but Audi drivers tend to be the most aggressive.  The Dodge cars have come up high into the "stupidest" drivers - going balls out on the highway in heavy traffic.

Used to be BMWs were top of the heap, but perhaps Darwin or aging pushed them aside.

This is Meat & Potatoes land. We have the traditional Detroit dealerships and a Honda/Toyota dealer. You have to drive to Lincoln or Omaha to get most upscale brands. They tend to stand out and many of the people who have them are recognizable people in our community. They tend to drive reasonably because it's easy to point them out. A marked exception are the owners of a large collection company. They have a fleet of expensive cars with their company initials followed by 1, 2, 3 etc. They all drive like jerks. Friends who worked there, even in middle management capacities said the owners are indeed jerks. 

We still have a county number associated with license plates for all but the largest 3 counties. They use the 6 digit alphanumeric system adopted by many states. The ones with out-of-town plates from less populous counties are usually lost. It's frustrating, but I will give them a break. People from our more populous counties drive aggressively. It fits when you are driving in their cities. I adapt when I am there. But here, it's a little slower and if you get the rhythm, you eliminate a lot of headaches. 

Probably the easiest to spot "jerk" quotient around here are the rednecks with lifted diesel 4x4 pickups. They drive with an "I'm bigger, I win" attitude. Add in loud flatulent exhaust tones and black smoke and they just make your day.

Speaking of aggressive drivers........

Tuesday I was driving toward Hartford on a 4 lane highway that was in an urban slow down zone at 55 mph.  True to form I was in the left lane at 60 passing slower cars to my right.  As I was about to pass a school bus, a blue WRX came up behind my at a high overtake speed and locked in to my tail at about a 4 foot distance.  Since I was in cruise control I continued to pass the buss, turned on my lane change signal and moved over as soon as I saw the bus left headlight in my mirror.  Hearing the bus's horn screaming I looked again at the mirror and then to my right to discover the WRX to be accelerating past me in the shoulder.  It seems that he had stuffed himself in front of the bus to pass me on the right only to find that lane closed off to him.  I guess he was in a hurry as I watched him proceed down the highway darting left, right, left in traffic.

Other than the fact that it might have harmed others, I would have been satisfied to find him in a black smoke cloud plastered to a bridge abutment down the road.  That would have satisfied Darwin's laws.

4 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I'm a jerk with a cheap car. I guess I'm doing it wrong.

Me too, but I look at it as doing it right.  When the jerks with expensive cars start getting aggressive and acting like they are going to hit you, I start laughing and thinking, I'm about to win a new car.

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Me too, but I look at it as doing it right.  When the jerks with expensive cars start getting aggressive and acting like they are going to hit you, I start laughing and thinking, I'm about to win a new car.

Yep, if you do the "replace with one model year newer" math, I only need 18 accidents to WIN!!!!

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep, if you do the "replace with one model year newer" math, I only need 18 accidents to WIN!!!!

Newer is newer and better deal than leasing so that you can keep changing cars.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Newer is newer and better deal than leasing so that you can keep changing cars.

I'm just hoping I hold up through those 18 crashes.  It takes a lot to "total" a car, but if it means I get a 2020 model out of it (eventually), it might be worth the shot! 

BRING IT you rotten & aggressive Audi jerks!

• Haha 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I'm just hoping I hold up through those 18 crashes.  It takes a lot to "total" a car, but if it means I get a 2020 model out of it (eventually), it might be worth the shot! 

Actually, anymore it doesn't take much.  Cost of repairs has risen that much that I've been really surprised by cars that have been totaled.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It takes a lot to total a new car but the age cars I usually drive if the airbags deployed they would total it.

19 hours ago, 2Far said:

My grad school advisor was a highly rated chemist named Jerry Kresge.  He won a chemistry prize that was just a notch or two lower than the Nobel Prize.

He had tons of grant money and my grad. research was extremely well-funded.

He married a wealthy Chinese-American woman whose father owned a chain of dry-cleaning stores.

He bought a used, top-of-the-line Mercedes Benz for $1200 in the late 60's and it ran great for at least 10 years.

We poor grad students who were invited to sip cognac, etc. at his parties in his 60th floor elite condo overlooking the Playboy Mansion in Chicago said the car just goes to show the rich get richer.

But Jerry was an excellent human being. I doubt if anyone considered him a jerk.