Here we go? Untracked coronavirus appears in Northern Cali

Dottleshead

18 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

Sorry bud.  I hope it remains minimized out there.  Live your life but wash your hands.  Stay safe. Meanwhile I'll be self-quarantined. I'll venture out like probably go to a coffee shop or something tomorrow. Cabin fever.

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

No. The whole thing is weird. Can someone tell me why they're having behind closed door meetings about a virus running rampant that initially the moran downplayed? Now the economy is tanking. He's positioning himself to be the hero. Just wait. Either that or he is a complete narcissistic imbecile. 

There will be no heroic savior.

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...another possible interpretation is that the virus is simply endemic there now, and everyone has had it or still has it. I don't see why the numbers coming out of china are suddenly more reliable than they were when the Chinese government was trying to suppress  any public discussion of the problem. Am I missing something ?

Yes.  News coming directly from people in China.  People in Beijing and Guangdong province seem to be returning to work.  China is now in a position to fear for the health of those returning to the country from elsewhere in the world more than their own cases.

I wish I could say the same for here.

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

Meanwhile I'll be self-quarantined. I'll venture out like probably go to a coffee shop or something tomorrow. Cabin fever.

You should be able to get out for a ride.  When cycling, you're typically not that close to others so the chances of getting infected or infecting someone else are probably small.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Dottles said:

No. The whole thing is weird. Can someone tell me why they're having behind closed door meetings about a virus running rampant that initially the moran downplayed? Now the economy is tanking. He's positioning himself to be the hero. Just wait. Either that or he is a complete narcissistic imbecile. 

I do think he's wants to come out looking like he and the republican party are the heroes who saved us all.   Below is the video where Trump talks about all the great numbers, really big numbers (and some small ones too) that I posted a couple days back.  At the beginning you can hear a reporter ask if any democrats were at the meeting.  His answer was no.   

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

38 total US deaths so far.  According to the CDC, there have been 20,000 to 52,000 flu deaths since October.  Why no concern over all those people, yet we wring our hands in fear and greatly mourn the 38?  

Are we still on this false equivalency discussion?

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

38 total US deaths so far.  According to the CDC, there have been 20,000 to 52,000 flu deaths since October.  Why no concern over all those people, yet we wring our hands in fear and greatly mourn the 38?  

And one French NBA player comes down with the flu and we have to cancel the rest of the season.

If Rudy dies his parents can't even come to the funeral...

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

It's a valid point. I think because this is not understood yet and nobody understands what the outcome will be with a virus most people are going to get as there are no antibodies. The flu has been around for thousands of years. We understand it and do have a vaccine for it.

22 minutes ago, Dottles said:

You know this is getting serious when it cuts into sports.

I got a chuckle out of some talking heads getting into a discussion about whether or not basketball players would get paid if the games are cancelled.  Hmmm. I wonder if the parking lots guy, the janitors, the ticket box folks, the food vendors, the ushers, and all the other workers would get paid.  It's sort of the "Tom Hanks has it" pushback.

15 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Believe what?  That the 24-hour news media is in the business of hyping bad news?  That many just want to flame the fires and use this virus to support their own political agendas?

Yes, this I do believe.

So Italy is on complete lock down because ... 

18 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Believe what?  That the 24-hour news media is in the business of hyping bad news?  That many just want to flame the fires and use this virus to support their own political agendas?

Yes, this I do believe.

RR just to be fair, what is this 'agenda' you speak of and who is 'agenda-ing' it?  The European Union?  The Commie Chinese?

36 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Yes, this I do believe.

The news leaking out of Iran seems pretty dire.

In the weeks after the first confirmed coronavirus cases in Qom, Iranian authorities dug two large trenches, totaling 100 yards in length, in the previously unused area of the cemetery to accommodate the rising number of victims.

1 hour ago, Couch_Incident said:

All I know is, if I do survive this and become immune to Covid, I plan on donating any spare time helping the local community. If that means delivering food, helping patients or whatever, I want to help as much as I can. 

I would do this, if i could meet hot chicks.  Shut-ins need love, too.

3 hours ago, Road Runner said:

It's not so much mourning the 38, it's worry about being the 39th. I think a lot of that is due to the current flus being a known entity.  We have vaccines, humans have antibodies, we know their rates of transmission and fatality rates.

There are huge unknowns to Coronavirus.  What we do know is that we have no vaccines or antibodies, it transmits faster, it's more fatal.  The symptoms also require much more hospital care than flus, we only have so many beds.  How long are we contagious?  Does it recur?  Will it get worse?

Consider this:  It first appeared with a few people in a hospital in Wuhan on Dec. 1.  Even with China locking down Wuhan and other major cities by end of January, other countries trying to limit the spread, it  made it to 100 countries by early March.

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

RR just to be fair, what is this 'agenda' you speak of and who is 'agenda-ing' it?  The European Union?  The Commie Chinese?

NCAA canceled the College basketball tournament, NBA and the NHL postponed all their game and possibly canceled them and Disney closes their theme parks.  All these actions are costing their billionaire owners billions in revenue.  What is their agenda?  I have trouble believing the agenda is political as RR mentioned.  How does Tom Hanks fit into this?  Did all the sports team owners hire him to catch COVID just to further some political agenda?

30 minutes ago, 12string said:

It's not so much mourning the 38, it's worry about being the 39th. I think a lot of that is due to the current flus being a known entity.  We have vaccines, humans have antibodies, we know their rates of transmission and fatality rates.

There are huge unknowns to Coronavirus.  What we do know is that we have no vaccines or antibodies, it transmits faster, it's more fatal.  The symptoms also require much more hospital care than flus, we only have so many beds.  How long are we contagious?  Does it recur?  Will it get worse?

Consider this:  It first appeared with a few people in a hospital in Wuhan on Dec. 1.  Even with China locking down Wuhan and other major cities by end of January, other countries trying to limit the spread, it  made it to 100 countries by early March.

Plus we don't know what it does or just how it effects the body.  I have not heard concrete info on this -- but the fact that most circles believe a vaccination can happen is encouraging.  But I know for a fact, if the shoe were on the other foot, the Right in this country would be whining just as loud as the Left is now.  But that's not even the main thing.  If this thing breaks and it's a lot worse than what they think it is -- there's going to be a lot of blame for not jumping on this sooner.  A country that sacrifices immediately short term for the safety of its citizens long term can not be valued more in my book.  I'm all for erring on the safe side.

And if this isn't the big virus outbreak (maybe not as deadly) -- and that remains to be seen -- then this is excellent practice for the states to learn what they can do.  Because I suspect there will be more outbreaks.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

NCAA canceled the College basketball tournament, NBA and the NHL postponed all their game and possibly canceled them and Disney closes their theme parks.  All these actions are costing their billionaire owners billions in revenue.  What is their agenda?  I have trouble believing the agenda is political as RR mentioned.  How does Tom Hanks fit into this?  Did all the sports team owners hire him to catch COVID just to further some political agenda?

I wonder the same things.... unless you have a myopic view of the world.  The only thing my 'Snake' governor did that was call into question why they didn't release the ability to test sooner than later. I couldn't agree more.  It should also be noted that I didn't vote for him. So to say this is political seems to greatly miss the boat. 

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I am 77 and just get my news from the forum.  You better be right or I might be screwed.:rolleyes:

Everybody in here I'm guessing is purple with varying hue intensities of red or blue.  It's always a good idea to read/hear both sides of the argument.  Honestly, it's a pretty good mix in here.

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Yes, this I do believe.

4 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

So Italy is on complete lock down because ... 

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Fake news.

...the Italians are a very emotional people.  Besides, they shut down the entire fucking country from Rome on south every summer for a month so everyone can go to the beach. If you've ever been stuck in a really good traffic jam in Naples, you know they weren't getting much done when the country was running normally anyway. :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Apparently, the virus can be warded off by wrapping yourself in toilet paper.  Or by wiping your butt every hour.  Not sure which.

...I heard you can keep from getting it by sticking your head in the ground, like an ostrich. So far, there has not been one reported case of an ostrich infection.

Alamy_A14A69-c-29b8790.jpg

• Haha 1

“(CNN) - A woman who traveled from China to Illinois in mid-January likely transmitted the novel coronavirus to her husband through "prolonged, unprotected contact," according to research released Thursday

None of more than 300 people who came into contact with the two patients after they showed symptoms, however, developed symptoms of their own.”

Maybe this is more Fake news??

• Heart 1