Here we go? Untracked coronavirus appears in Northern Cali

Dottleshead

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

“(CNN) - A woman who traveled from China to Illinois in mid-January likely transmitted the novel coronavirus to her husband through "prolonged, unprotected contact," according to research released Thursday

None of more than 300 people who came into contact with the two patients after they showed symptoms, however, developed symptoms of their own.”

Maybe this is more Fake news??

Not at all. My wife just reported another case of a careworker in another nursing care facility here. Fact is we don't know enough about it. That's the big issue. It's not clear how it's being transmitted. And it's too early to say.

38 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Our governor just closed all schools until April 6th. 

I just found out the same thing is happening here.  The three most populous counties in in western Washington have been closed through April 24th.  https://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/inslee-orders-all-private-public-k-12-schools-in-king-pierce-snohomish-counties-to-close-through-april-24/

On the risque side, I went out to the RAM for a burger tonight.  And it was grubbin'. I got it with extra coronavirus sauce.

In all seriousness, the staff was taking it very serious.  They're wiping down everything.  I hope that's enough but really, aside from turning into a hermit, I think that's pretty good.  I even asked for some mustard from another table and the waitress wiped it down before she gave it to me.  Man, these places are hurting.  Most businesses are just struggling to stay afloat. So go out and surgically support them if you can.

In sum, I risked my life, man, for a turkey burger.  But I feel good for contributing to the local economy.

11 hours ago, Road Runner said:

38 total US deaths so far.  According to the CDC, there have been 20,000 to 52,000 flu deaths since October.  Why no concern over all those people, yet we wring our hands in fear and greatly mourn the 38?  

9 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Believe what?  That the 24-hour news media is in the business of hyping bad news?  That many just want to flame the fires and use this virus to support their own political agendas?

Yes, this I do believe.

Maybe you'll understand or trust this.  It's a conservative rag that you no doubt are aware of.  There''s some good info in this link.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/editorials/why-coronavirus-is-a-big-deal

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

On the risque side, I went out to the RAM for a burger tonight.  And it was grubbin'. I got it with extra coronavirus sauce.

In all seriousness, the staff was taking it very serious.  They're wiping down everything.  I hope that's enough but really, aside from turning into a hermit, I think that's pretty good.  I even asked for some mustard from another table and the waitress wiped it down before she gave it to me.  Man, these places are hurting.  Most businesses are just struggling to stay afloat. So go out and surgically support them if you can.

In sum, I risked my life, man, for a turkey burger.  But I feel good for contributing to the local economy.

Stuff stuff stuff stuff.  The crowd votes.

17 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Thank you for posting this.  My best friend who is a conservative constantly plays up Trump and derides Trudeau.  He's going to hate this -- which makes me happy.

There are tons of pics of Melania getting her pantie moist over Trudeau.  

trudeau_and_ivanka_2.jpg

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The irony is that everyone is talking about delaying the onset of the virus but then talking about going out to get stuff.

This was only the second time in a week I've been out and I was sure not to be 'around' anyone.  So I've cut my probabilities greatly.  If I were to be more absolute, then I could say I should not have gone.  But my wife works in health care where they are actively diagnosing infected and/or possibly infected folks at her clinic.  The odds that I become infected or infect someone are much greater through that route than distancing myself at the restaurant unless my server has it or the cook.  Either way, if you read what @Bikeguy posted in your Friday the 13th thread, it probably doesn't matter.

My wife just informed me that the way her primary care clinic is determining if folks may have coronavirus is if they meet the criteria, then they test for flu.  I guess it takes them like 10 minutes to do so.  They're saying that it's not likely (or possible?) to have both the coronavirus and flu at the same time.  So if you are coming into the office w/ symptoms, you're getting screened for the flu.  And if you don't test for the flu, then you are at great risk.  It's unclear to me what they are recommending now if you fall into this category.  She doesn't know if they are being sent down to one of the labs that can do the testing or just sending them home and self-quarantining them.   She says their policy has been changing daily as they acquire more information.

The CDC just said that only 77 people in the entire country were tested this week.

The NBA claims they are going to get all their players tested.  All this talk about all the high profile people that will get tested.

77, in the whole country.

My daughter, the nurse, had a coworker complain of symptoms.  The hospital has no tests available.  So they tested her for the flu.  That was negative, so they sent her back to work.

My other daughter, the teacher, had her roommate come down with a fever yesterday.  So she stayed home and called the school for what to do.  They told her they couldn't tell her anythings, they had no tests.  The roommate's fever is gone today..  They may close the school by Monday anyway

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

The CDC just said that only 77 people in the entire country were tested this week.

The ability to test is close to 0 though.  I've heard of a local hospital (unnamed) that is close to having an FDA cleared test, with extra staffing they can output just under 200 tests a day.  That's still close to 0.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Wait - Bolsonaro, Hanks, and Trudeau's wife all got tested!  Even that helper to Bolsonaro (Fabio Wajngarten) got tested!

Correction - the CDC themselves tested 77 people this week.  Since January, about 8000 people in the US have been etsted.

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

Correction - the CDC themselves tested 77 people this week.  Since January, about 8000 people in the US have been etsted.

I saw 1,683 positive tests, 11,720 negative tests, and 781 pending for a 14,184 count.  Some people could be tested more than once?

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

The ability to test is close to 0 though.  I've heard of a local hospital (unnamed) that is close to having an FDA cleared test, with extra staffing they can output just under 200 tests a day.  That's still close to 0.

This is clearly because "America is way ahead of the other countries", ha!  Testing on demand is around the corner, sure it is!

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This is clearly because "America is way ahead of the other countries", ha!  Testing on demand is around the corner, sure it is!

We rank 37th in healthcare amongst nations around the world.  Let that sink in.  37th.  Oh yeah, we got this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_systems_in_2000

47 minutes ago, Dottles said:

We rank 37th in healthcare amongst nations around the world.  Let that sink in.  37th.  Oh yeah, we got this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_systems_in_2000

Right behind Costa Rica and ahead of Slovenia, really taking the bull by the horns!  You know this whole response is going to put us down further on the list for sure.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

WHO heavily favours socialized medicine. 

Back in that other forum, there was a chick doctor who said, "She would rather live in Canada to prevent coronary disease but live in the US to treat it.   Smart lady. 

Right now, Wilbur, Canadians aren't charged for the cv-19 testing. 

I  disagree ..given the level of difficult conditions my family members have had treatment...this includes a 3 yr. great nephew who has brain cancer since he was 1.5 yrs. old which meant checks, tests several times per month at Sick Children's Hospital....a world class pediatric hospital in Toronto.  Or my mother who had a heart pacemaker put into her within 3 wks. of her diagnosis...it was not life threatening situation.  She is low income senior.

Or my father who had top cancer care and lived a high quality life for 7 yrs., normal life otherwise before he died.  My whole family would be bankrupt if it weren't for Canada's public health care system.

I'm sorry, I have a sister doctor right now front line emergency..tonight.   They put their lives out for you and I.

Or dearie, who just went through a battery of sophistcited heart tests and imaging...plus the opthamologist for cataract analysis....again not life threatening.  I was amazed hy the level of testing he had and depth.  No charge.

• Heart 2

52 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

WHO heavily favours socialized medicine. 

Back in that other forum, there was a chick doctor who said, "She would rather live in Canada to prevent coronary disease but live in the US to treat it.   Smart lady. 

Not really so smart (kinda dumb, actually), unless she had great insurance and a LOT of money and family members with a lot of money, because she would need all three if she didn't want to end up bankrupt.  From this vantage point, from several periods of no insurance and WITH insurance, WHO seems completely spot on and completely justified on in favoring socialized medicine.  This country sucks for healthcare unless under ideal circumstances.

• Awesome 1

50 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Not really so smart (kinda dumb, actually), unless she had great insurance and a LOT of money and family members with a lot of money, because she would need all three if she didn't want to end up bankrupt.  From this vantage point, from several periods of no insurance and WITH insurance, WHO seems completely spot on and completely justified on in favoring socialized medicine.  This country sucks for healthcare unless under ideal circumstances.

She was a surgeon that had practised on both sides of the border.  Yes, in the US, you need insurance but when you have it, you are well covered.   In Canada, not so much.  You get basic healthcare, no dental, no drugs.  My wife arthritis required an IV drug every 4 weeks to the tune of $6000 per treatment.  Ontario medical, company insurance, Trillium all refused as you know, walking is optional.  How long could you sustain that kind of expense?  I would take the US system every day over socialized medicine.  Socialized isn't free at all.  Look at the tax structure between the two countries.  I have lived in both and again, the US shines.  The doctor was talking about quality of care and it is, better in the US. 

Now, if you want free healthcare, just make your way to Roxham Road in Upstate NY, walk across the border and claim asylum.  You will have to go through the legal process but that takes years.  You will be given housing and 3200 per month for food and transportation.  You get gold tier healthcare, which is better than any citizen gets as all expenses are covered for 20 years and it includes drugs and dental.   Not a bad deal and there are hundreds crossing every day.  Just don't do it at a regular border crossing or you will be thrown out.  Do it at an illegal crossing where immigration laws don't apply. 

55 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

She was a surgeon that had practised on both sides of the border.  Yes, in the US, you need insurance but when you have it, you are well covered.   In Canada, not so much.  You get basic healthcare, no dental, no drugs.  My wife arthritis required an IV drug every 4 weeks to the tune of $6000 per treatment.  Ontario medical, company insurance, Trillium all refused as you know, walking is optional.  How long could you sustain that kind of expense?  I would take the US system every day over socialized medicine.  Socialized isn't free at all.  Look at the tax structure between the two countries.  I have lived in both and again, the US shines.  The doctor was talking about quality of care and it is, better in the US. 

Downstairs in my building...are neighbours (Canadian) who lived and worked in Dallas for 15 years. He was in high tech.  He has some sort of procedure/test..which costed $300.00 US which they couldn't believe. This is a middle income family.  They returned to retire in Canada.

I've worked with several Canadians who lived and worked in the U.S. for several years (Washington state and Conneticut), they seem to waste enough time with the paper work on eligibility/co-pay  via their U.S. health insurance provider.  One guy who worked for non-profit sector, as a single guy he had to pay $300.00 / month for his premium and that was 18 yrs. ago.  I suppose that's cheap now..but then, sounded too expensive.  The guy didn't have any children. 

Unlike you, I am willing to pay in my taxes.  Right now, I live in a province where the newest provincial leader is cutting deeply into the health care budget. He doesn't give a shit about citizens and patients.

And I am willing to bet.....each of my family is willing to participate as workers and patients in Canada's health care system:  it's more humane. A person is less afraid to ask to be diagnosed/tested sooner rather than later.

I'm glad you have a job that affords your wife's treatment.  Most likely would still be a high price to cover your wife and other family members over the years in the U.S.