Here we go? Untracked coronavirus appears in Northern Cali

Dottleshead

2 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

"Flu-like symptoms" is a pretty general term.  Exactly what symptoms does the CDC mean?  They specifically mention fever and I've seen 'shortness of breath'.  What about diarrhea? Vomiting?  Will I be shooting it out both ends?  What about aches and pains?

Very tired, shortness of breath, possible fever.  Not exactly the same symptoms as flu or even a bad cold as the virus settles deeper into the lungs than those more obvious diseases.  Pneumonia like more describes it.

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Don't you wish you trusted him?

No.  But I suspect they are doing it the right way.  As they learn more concrete info, they forward it along.  It's frustrating because the process doesn't work as fast as the virus does and in the meantime we're all screwed. 

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Lotsa round numbers in there.  That usually means they have shit for data and they are making stuff up. 

57% of all statistics on the internet are made up.  :whistle:

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

It's my way of dealing with it. Please ignore it if it bothers you. You and I are probably the only ones taking this the most serious or at least willing to talk about it.  My wife literally works in the epicenter where all this is breaking out. I laugh at those who tell me not to panic in their isolated, insulated worlds. I'm not nearly panicking. Just using dark humor to help me get through it. It stands to reason that somebody in her care center catches it and passes on through her office and she brings it home to me.  I would say of all the people who post in this forum, I am the most likely to get it (first). It should also be noted I have heart disease -- which puts me in the higher risk category.  A reminder to those reading this, our bodies have no antibodies to fight this. We are all vulnerable. 

This from my wife who literally works in a branch of EvergreenHealth 3 miles from the assisted living senior home which has had numerous deaths:

"We have quarantine exam rooms set up at work for potentially infected patients that have to be pre screened and come in through a side door normally only used by staff. This is real. Have been loading up much more frequently than usual on the hand sanitizer & hand washing."

I repeat if you our fortunate to live in an area not hit, it's only a matter of time before you do.

Sorry I offended you. Although I hardly feel insulated with the job that my husband and I hold. We are both on the front lines

image.png

Lets put numbers to these percentages.

There are 330,000,000 people in the US.  Does bullet point 3 say that 264,000,000 people will experience symptoms?  Of that percentage, what percentage actually have COVID-19?

If I use the 5% that require critical care then, 5% of 264,000,000 is 13,200,000.  If we say that people who require critical care require it because they're a confirmed case then 1.6% of 13,200,000 is 211,200.

Am I reading that correctly?

3 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

image.png

There are 330,000,000 people in the US.  Does bullet point 3 say that 264,000,000 people will experience symptoms?  Of that percentage, what percentage actually have COVID-19?

If I use the 5% that require critical care then, 5% of 264,000,000 is 13,200,000.  If we say that people who require critical care require it because they're a confirmed case then 1.6% of 13,200,000 is 211,200.

No.  There are more confirmed cases than those that need critical care.

So having symptoms doesn't mean you have it ?

3 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

image.png

Those numbers don't support the panic we have going.

Seriously everyone....I'm worried less about myself....than I'm worried for my doctor-sister who sees patients face to face in emergency care ward.  We are not health care workers facing sick people.  Except maybe for 2-3 folks here who work in health care facilities with exposure to patients often.

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Seriously everyone....I'm worried less about myself....than I'm worried for my doctor-sister who sees patients face to face in emergency care ward.  We are not health care workers facing sick people.  Except maybe for 2-3 folks here who work in health care facilities with exposure to patients often.

I haven't stopped going to work though our city is taking precautions. They're telling people to stay home. Most people don't think about the impact outside their own immediate health sphere. We got folks dying out here. And while I may not be dying, this is hitting the town hard economically. I'm glad you aren't experiencing the problem... yet.

image.png

Let's take this point by point.  Does bullet one attempt to predict how many will catch the virus.  Does it allow for more than one contact with a covid-19 person or does it assume the 0.5% is some final number?    It makes an assumption either way.

Bullet two is similar to bullet one but your chances are better because you've been in close contact and you may have met one or more other covid-19 positives.    Again there is an assumption being made here if it is to provide a useful number for further calculations.

Bullet 3.  Is this 80% of the nation's population or 80% of the population that has become covid-19 positive.  Again, it seems to used as an assumption for further calculations but is ill defined.

Bullet 4.  Is this an assumption that 15% will feel sick enough to seek further medical attention?  I'm assuming an assumption that this is somehow relating to the portion of those who get the virus who have more than just mild symptoms?  Can't tell from the writing?

Bullet 5.  5% of what.  Is it those who contract the virus, those who go for further medical attention?  No answer here.

Bullet 6.  1.6% of the community will die.  Again which community?  Is it all of us, those who contract the virus or those who seek medical attention or those who are admitted?   See where this document is getting weaker by the bullet?

Bullet 7.  Ok if true.  Facts on the ground however seem to indicate that some take longer than 14 days as they passed through quarantine and then showed positive.  Is it another faulty assumption?

Bullet 8.  Do you still believe what's written here?

It's a terrible document.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

image.png

Let's take this point by point.  Does bullet one attempt to predict how many will catch the virus.  Does it allow for more than one contact with a covid-19 person or does it assume the 0.5% is some final number?    It makes an assumption either way.

Bullet two is similar to bullet one but your chances are better because you've been in close contact and you may have met one or more other covid-19 positives.    Again there is an assumption being made here if it is to provide a useful number for further calculations.

Bullet 3.  Is this 80% of the nation's population or 80% of the population that has become covid-19 positive.  Again, it seems to used as an assumption for further calculations but is ill defined.

Bullet 4.  Is this an assumption that 15% will feel sick enough to seed further medical attention?  I'm assuming an assumption that this is somehow relating to the portion of those who get the virus who have more than just mild symptoms?  Can't tell from the writing?

Bullet 5.  5% of what.  Is it those who contract the virus, those who go for further medical attention?  No answer here.

Bullet 6.  1.6% of the community will die.  Again which community?  Is it all of us, those who contract the virus or those who seek medical attention or those who are admitted?   See where this document is getting weaker by the bullet?

Bullet 7.  Ok if true.  Facts on the ground however seem to indicate that some take longer than 14 days as they passed through quarantine and then showed positive.  Is it another faulty assumption?

Bullet 8.  Do you still believe what's written here?

It's a terrible document.

You think Pence was behind it? :loveshower:

10 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I haven't stopped going to work though our city is taking precautions. Most people don't think about the impact outside their own immediate sphere. We got folks dying out here. I'm glad you aren't experiencing the problem... yet.

My sister-doctor has abit of a cold.  So she didn't attend a family gathering for my mother's 86th birthday this past Sunday.  Her children, 10 and 12 yrs. old came instead.  My mother has a heart pacemaker and is abit slow. She has gout and high blood pressure tendencies.

10 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

My sister-doctor has abit of a cold.  So she didn't attend a family gathering for my mother's 86th birthday this past Sunday.  Her children, 10 and 12 yrs. old came instead.  My mother has a heart pacemaker and is abit slow. She has gout and high blood pressure tendencies.

A great nephew who is 3 yrs. old has brain cancer and of course his immune system is low because of chemotherapy treatments. Child is at home off and on. Mother is a pediatrician.  So we have to remember how complicated, so much more complicated other people's home situations can be in terms of possible exposures to others.  Yet, they have to work...to earn money. 

51 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So what is your point? Seattle is on the front lines. We are taking it serious.

41 minutes ago, Dottles said:

In fact, I argue it's in your best interest that we do take this serious so that you have the luxury to down play it.

Some people are more exposed than you and I. Our jobs don't require that type of people exposure. And we don't have children to consider in our immediate family.

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

My wife's local clinic stopped testing because they said it was endemic now.

Given the document that your wife's clinic handed out I'm not sure that they are the authority to follow.  Stopping testing seems to be exactly the opposite of what should be done.  Are the managers there whistling in the dark?

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Given the document that your wife's clinic handed out I'm not sure that they are the authority to follow.  Stopping testing seems to be exactly the opposite of what should be done.  Are the managers there whistling in the dark?

It's in their clinic only that they've stopped. Everybody is coming in to get tested.  The feds finally lifted their requirement for testing so now the UW is set up to test up to 1000-1500 people a day.  Honestly, this stuff is changing by the hour.  She brought home a stack of documents I'd like to share with you but they are over 24 hours and essentially outdated.  Her clinic gets updates from the CDC daily.

I had to laugh because some tool basically told me when the virus gets here he will then be gain to worry about it. Seriously we are in the DFW, and have a LARGE airport that known carriers of the virus went though.. and be was trying to tell me it is not here yet... 

some people are so entertaining 

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It's in their clinic only that they've stopped. Everybody is coming in to get tested.  The feds finally lifted their requirement for testing so now the UW is set up to test up to 1500 people a day.  Honestly, this stuff is changing by the hour.  She brought home a stack of documents I'd like to share with you but they are over 24 hours and essentially outdated.  Her clinic gets updates from the CDC daily.

I was surprised to see my coded password still works on the the government site for the cdc to get in and get more information then their normal site. Haven’t used that code since the Ebola scare. 
I do miss being the contact and the hours of reading I was given for stuff like this.. 

1 minute ago, KrAzY said:

I was surprised to see my coded password still works on the the government site for the cdc to get in and get more information then their normal site. Haven’t used that code since the Ebola scare. 
I do miss being the contact and the hours of reading I was given for stuff like this.. 

What did you used to do to be given access?

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I didn't mean to disrespect you, man.  We've been leading the charge with this stuff but soon California is going to take over.  

...not to worry. The LA Times ran a story that says it's pretty bad there right now.  "Empty Stores and Quarantined Firefighters" reads the headline. If they really plan on continuing to quarantine EMS personnel who get an exposure, it's not gonna take very long before there's nobody left to take EMS calls.

I rode through Old Town Sacramento yesterday. The temps were in the upper 70's which usually brings out the Spring tourist surge.  I only saw three people wandering around there, and one of them was a RR museum employee.  It was kind of creepy.  

7 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...not to worry. The LA Times ran a story that says it's pretty bad there right now.  "Empty Stores and Quarantined Firefighters" reads the headline. If they really plan on continuing to quarantine EMS personnel who get an exposure, it's not gonna take very long before there's nobody left to take EMS calls.

I rode through Old Town Sacramento yesterday. The temps were in the upper 70's which usually brings out the Spring tourist surge.  I only saw three people wandering around there, and one of them was a RR museum employee.  It was kind of creepy.  

It's a ghost town in Seattle too. Not that bad but enough to cause me to wish every day in the city was like that.

• Haha 1