Jeep Wranglers > RAV 4

Mr. Silly

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If you look at a list of the top 10 least reliable vehicles sold in the US, Jeep owns 5 of those spots.

10 most reliable models of 2020, according to Consumer Reports:

• Mazda MX-5 Miata
  • Toyota Prius Prime
  • Toyota Prius
  • Lexus GX
  • Hyundai Kona
  • Mazda CX-3
  • Lexus NX
  • Toyota 4-Runner
  • Mazda CX-9
  • Lexus GS

10 least reliable models of 2020, according to Consumer Reports:

• Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon (same body style, different badging)
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • Jeep Wrangler
  • Alfa Romeo Giulia
  • Volkswagen Atlas
  • Volkswagen Tiguan
  • Acura MDX
  • Tesla Model X
  • Chrysler Pacifica
  • Chevrolet Traverse

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

2019 lists from JD Power, or if you don't like it cherry pick anyone you do.

Six of top 10 on my list of most reliable are Toyota - Rav4 is likely not far out of the top 10.

The axiomatic Wrangler is ON my list of least reliable - other Jeeps probably not far out of the top 10.

Consumer Reports is generally well regarded.

Mr Silly is correct. The Jeep Wrangler is greater than the Rav 4. Here’s why: the Jeep was first produced in 1941 as light 4x4 vehicles for the US military. Their durability and functionality was legendary throughout WWII. The Jeep travelled on all seven continents during the war and this is one reason for the seven slot grill that has become an icon. Jeeps have the largest after-market product inventory of any vehicle around today. Jeep owners don’t buy them for gas mileage or reliability ratings. They buy them to go where the road ends. Drop the top, leave the doors at home and go have fun. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Mr Silly is correct. The Jeep Wrangler is greater than the Rav 4. Here’s why: the Jeep was first produced in 1941 as light 4x4 vehicles for the US military. Their durability and functionality was legendary throughout WWII. The Jeep travelled on all seven continents during the war and this is one reason for the seven slot grill that has become an icon. Jeeps have the largest after-market product inventory of any vehicle around today. Jeep owners don’t buy them for gas mileage or reliability ratings. They buy them to go where the road ends. Drop the top, leave the doors at home and go have fun. 

Do you think they are getting too big and too civilized?  I yearn for the older jeeps that you could pull a few plugs in the floor and wash out with a hose.  Metal dash.  My 88 YJ was a blast, but when I effed up the tranny, it cost and arm and a leg to fix.

Mine had after market A/C, added by the dealer, but it would throw the drive belt and then the Jeep would overheat, which lead to a cracked manifold that Jeep refused to cover even though their dealer added the A/C at the time of purchase to a brand new vehicle.  That one cost me quite a bit as well and sort of soured me on Wranglers.

The thing would go anywhere and in it's defense I was in my 20's and stupid when I owned it and it got ridden hard and put away wet more than a time or two.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

But they use them like every other car - just with worse reliability and poorer gas mileage :D

With exceptional resale value. Priorities, priorities. Plus, the Jeep will stomp the Rav4 in the mud and leave it there.

At 4500 lbs a little heavy for what I would want. Likewise the Cherokee where the only acceptable 4x4 is in the Trailblazer trim. In 2019 the other trims did offer the 'active/disconnect' 4x4 as an option but it was rarely ordered so dropped in 2020. Grand Cherokee with a towing capacity of 7200lb is not matched by any other American or Asian mid size SUV. Hopefully Fiat doesn't ruin it next year with the new model shifting from the Mercedes chassis (retained from when Mercedes owned Jeep) to the Fiat Alfa Romeo platform that currently tops at 5000 lb towing.