This is my son in whom I am well pleased.

Longjohn

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

WHAT?!

Buy him a beer and send me the bill next time you see him.

He stayed in Lawton OK when he retired and now has a cushy job inventorying battle damaged artillery pieces that return from the Middle east for a defense contractor at Ft Sill.  I don't see him very often.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

He stayed in Lawton OK when he retired and now has a cushy job inventorying battle damaged artillery pieces that return from the Middle east for a defense contractor at Ft Sill.  I don't see him very often.

My son did his basic at Sill. We went there for his graduation. Before that we met some guy in Dallas that let us ship some stuff to him as we were headed to Haiti from there.

17 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Ask him if he knows CSM Gordon Carlin of the OK Natl Guard.  Old friend of mine.

Our Boy Scout Troop is trying to arrange a visit to Fort Hood to Camp.  Wade and I went there a few years back.  What a great experience for the boys and the adults.  If we go, I would love to find a way to meet your son and shake his hand, most likely with tears in my eyes.  It is hard for me to express the gratitude I have for the men and women who sacrifice to ensure our freedom.

Image may contain: 2 people

Image may contain: one or more people

Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Our Boy Scout Troop is trying to arrange a visit to Fort Hood to Camp.  Wade and I went there a few years back.  What a great experience for the boys and the adults.  If we go, I would love to find a way to meet your son and shake his hand, most likely with tears in my eyes.  It is hard for me to express the gratitude I have for the men and women who sacrifice to ensure our freedom.

Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor

I have no idea when he might be back to Fort Hood. Right now he is deployed with a United Nations force in Romania. His family still lives in Georgia but he spent a short time at Fort Hood before being deployed.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I have no idea when he might be back to Fort Hood. Right now he is deployed with a United Nations force in Romania. His family still lives in Georgia but he spent a short time at Fort Hood before being deployed.

Isn't the 1-5 Cav based out of Hood?  

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It’s been two years, time flies when you are having fun.

I think I said this last time but it’s worth repeating.  

I’m not sure if people here realize how freaking hard it is to become a senior NCO in the Army.  If after 20+ years someone said, yeah I retired a Sergeant First Class (E-7) I’d say well done as its tough to rise up to that rank.  This young man has surpassed E-7 two years ago to 1st Sergeant and is now a Sergeant Major - E-9 which is the highest rank one can attain as an Enlisted person.  This is really hard to do as not only does it take decades of service & sacrifice but unequalled excellence and leadership as well.

This is no small feat and worth repeating that this is one hell of an accomplishment. Congrats to you & your son.  John this is something to be really proud of.

• Awesome 1