Bought more groceries

Longjohn

I have a few places I rotate through that result in low-cost receipts: Aldi, Walmart, Food Lion, and Costco.  There are a couple others when there are certain items like fresh haddock filets I can't get elsewhere.

For example, 14.5 cans of green beans, diced and stewed tomatoes, peas, condensed soups, etc. are 49 cents at Aldi. 15 oz, Chef Boy-ar-dee Ravioli, etc. is 88 cents at Walmart. 12 packs of 12 oz. Pepsi and Coke products are often 4/$11 or 3/$9 at Food Lion.

Additionally, Discovercard gives 5% cash-back at supermarkets through March and Chase Freedom Visa usually does from April-June.  The Capitol One Walmart Visa gives 5% at Walmart for the first year, 2% afterward, and 5% online permanently.  The American Express Blue Cash Everyday card gives 3% cash-back at supermarkets all year. The Citi Costco Visa gives 2% cashback for all merchandise at Costco, 4% on gasoline at Costco as well as stand-alone stations (Exxon, etc.) and 3% on restaurants. All are no-annual-fee cards.

We have one grocery store in town  (9 miles away). I have to have another care giver stay with my wife while I’m gone.  I would love to spend half a day going to other towns to shop but I can’t do that at this point. I did make a quick Aldi run when I was already in another town to get a screen protector for my new phone. My sister in law covered for me that day.

• Awesome 1

When life is stressful, little luxuries and conveniences can make a big difference.  When I'm very busy at work, I tend to spend more on prepared foods, or groceries from the local niche supermarket.   When I'm less busy I'll go to the big, crowded supermarket a few towns away and stock up on basics.   If you can get good quality food for you and your wife, with a minimum of effort, it seems like money well spent.  Plus you need a few treats for visiting family and caretakers.    Anything that makes life less stressful is a good investment!

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1