How long should a microwave last?

Randomguy

Depends upon the brand.  One we had developed problems with the door, but others have been fine.  We use ours a lot heating water for coffee and lamb milk and warming up food. Folks at the hardware store always suggest getting the extended warranty through the maker, which indicates to me they have had problems with some of the brands and models. Just like with many thing, older ones seem to last better than newer ones.

• Heart 2

Well...not to be Debbie Downer...we had a resident with a micro/hood vent combo...she went through 3 in about 12 years...on the other hand some have had the same micro for years...We are installling new ones at work...I could probably get you a like new hardly used hood vent micro combo for nothing.....Sometimes counter models get put on the free bench :whistle:  We will probably have several of those since they are upgrading ALL apartments with the hood vent kind. :nodhead:

My current one is at least 15 years I think.  The last one I got just stopped working one day.  I use my microwave all the time, so I ran out immediately and got a new, even better one.   When I plugged it in, the new one didn't work either.  That's when I checked and realized I had blown a fuse and that once I switched it back, everything worked again.  I liked my new microwave better, so I just kept it, so I can't really tell you how long the first one would have lasted.

We moved into our first home back in 1984.  The original microwave was installed in the cabinets above the oven back in 1979  We sold the home in December, and it was still there.

Did it work, most of the time.  The old mechanical timer (yeah the dial kind) didn’t work so good anymore.  It would stick, and never turn off.   We would set a timer when we used it.

But it matched the oven and the counter top range.  We were moving out, and I didn’t care if it worked or not.  I’d bet it has been replaced by now. 

That said, I LOVE how my new microwave automatically cooks popcorn.  It’s always perfect

When I downsized after retirement and bought my siblings interest out of our late parents' home in 2005, I think the first microwave mom ever owned, probably 20 years old, was still in the kitchen. I only replaced it because it took forever to heat water, etc.

The el-cheapo $48, GE 1100W full-size-but-not-huge one I bought at Walmart in 2005 is still working fine.  It cooks frozen food in slightly less time than the 1100W suggested times on the packages. The spring that pushes the door-opening latch back out after I push it in to open occasionally sticks a little but that's rarely a problem: I work a little Vaseline into the sides with a paper towel on a butterknife as a lube and its fine for at least a year.

In 2015 I broke the glass turntable tray on the bottom of the microwave and learned GE didn't make or supply parts for that model anymore. By sheer luck, a Google search listing I checked out showed that it was a standard, generic item that several brands used.  I was able to order the exact same plate as the original from Amazon for $19.99. I kept a record of it in case I break it again:

image.png.0c8675049a63b7ede88f97fbeda97229.png

Microwaves last longer if properly cleaned.  Food splashes on the grill covering the source cause the "projector" to get hot just as if you had placed metal in the cooking area.

One of the easiest ways to extend the longevity of your microwave is by cleaning it regularly. Many people do not realize that food and liquid spatters can absorb energy, leading to burn spots and even causing damage to components of the microwave. 

https://learn.compactappliance.com/microwave-maintenance-tips/

13 hours ago, Bellybutton Lent said:

?

i had a death in the family, you see. 

We had a 1 to 2 year old microwave go bad (Magnetron!) but it was replaced under the home warranty (GE repair guy came out and fixed it).  We currently have a 21 yr old GE still going strong. Almost the identical model. Who knows???

If it's a Samsung, apparently a year.  I knew better than to buy a Samsung microwave, but I did it anyways and now need to replace it.  Was hoping they had fixed their microwave issues, but nope, they just can not make a freaking microwave that will last.