The Best Natural Wonder in Each State

Kirby

USA Today has a list of what they deem the "most beautiful" natural wonder in each state. Do you agree with the choice for your state?  They picked Niagara Falls for New York.  I'd say that's likely the most impressive but I don't know that I'd say it's the "most beautiful".  I tend to prefer mountain lakes and scenery and Watkins Glen State Park is certainly beautiful, but it's hard to pick just one of those that's the most beautiful, so Niagara Falls is a reasonable choice.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/experience/america/fifty-states/2019/08/02/lake-tahoe-niagara-falls-more-natural-wonders-every-state/1890514001/

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Thought the same thing. I've been there twice.

I've been twice too.  Once as a kid during the classic southern Lake Superior shore family vacation and once as an adult with Mrs. Silly and my son to extend the tradition for another generation.

• Heart 1

Since other states had a whole forest or park, I think I'd pick Adirondack Park for NY, but I can understand Niagara too.   Thinking of other states I've lived, Lake Tahoe is reasonable for California, although there are other good choices too. Indiana Dunes is a good pick for Indiana.  I haven't been to Big Bend in Texas, but I can't think of a better choice.

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You are NOT selling your state well!

You know nothing.  And we don't need to sell our state.  The hoosiers from Indiana come north to spend their dollars and the fools from Chicago come around the bottom of the lake weekly to deposit more cash into our local businesses.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You know nothing.  And we don't need to sell our state.  The hoosiers from Indiana come north to spend their dollars and the fools from Chicago come around the bottom of the lake weekly to deposit more cash into our local businesses.

Nope. I'm now in @Indy's camp on this one.  Indiana > Michigan (except bikeman's area).

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Nope. I'm now in @Indy's camp on this one.  Indiana > Michigan (except bikeman's area).

There again you open your mouth a prove your ignorance.  BikeDude lives in an area known as Detoilet.  He won't admit it.  He'll tell you he lives in some suburb that is better than and not part of Detoilet.  Don't believe him.

34 minutes ago, Zealot said:

They list Cranberry Glades for WV.  But I think there are other places that rival it in the state. Seneca Rocks is amazing. The Dolly Sods, Spruce Knob, Greenbrier River, Canaan Valley, Blackwater Falls,  ... hell most of the state is pretty phenomenal.

It did prompt me to add the glades to my list.  But, yes, the state is wild and wonderful :)

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Apparently the pick for Indiana is by someone who has never really been in Indiana.  The Dunes don't even make my top 10.

Hit us with your top 3!  The Dunes likely got there as they just got promoted to NP status. That's a nice way to raise their profile a bit!

I have yet to get to Toadstool Park in Nebraska since it became a thing to visit. I'm a little suprised they didn't pick Smith Falls. A waterfall from the sandhills into the Niobrara valley near Valentine. What makes it unique is the area under the falls is its own ecosystem. The sandhills are an arid area, but the base of the falls is lush and green. There are plants at the falls not found anywhere else in the state and possibly further. 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Hit us with your top 3!  The Dunes likely got there as they just got promoted to NP status. That's a nice way to raise their profile a bit!

Problem with the Dunes, short drive into Michigan and they are much better.

The falls in Clifty falls state park are good, several good caves in Southern Indiana, Beautiful Brown County with it's rolling terrain.  But I'd probably put Turkey Run State park at number one.

wtwo-turkey-run.jpg

trail-3-rocky-hollow.jpg

suspension-bridge.jpg

7060493_medium_1562987174.jpg

• Awesome 2

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The Hoh Rainforest in Washington state, while interesting no doubt, is nowhere near the most beautiful natural wonder in our state. In fact, it was a let down when I went there.

So what would you pick? 

There are only a handful of temperate rain forests in the world. The Olympic peninsula has three. The Hoh and Lake Quinault are seriously beautiful. 

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

So what would you pick? 

There are only a handful of temperate rain forests in the world. The Olympic peninsula has three. The Hoh and Lake Quinault are seriously beautiful. 

I loved Olympic NP.  The rain forest, the camping on the cliff overlooking the beach, the trees, rocks, and ocean.  All of it was lovely. 

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

The Hoh Rainforest in Washington state, while interesting no doubt, is nowhere near the most beautiful natural wonder in our state. In fact, it was a let down when I went there.

1 hour ago, dennis said:

So what would you pick? 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I loved Olympic NP.  The rain forest, the camping on the cliff overlooking the beach, the trees, rocks, and ocean.  All of it was lovely. 

It would all depend on your definition of natural wonder. I'm guessing this article lists those places reachable by car. There are lots of places I would pick but the Enchantment Lakes out of Leavenworth by backpack is AMAZING. It's a twelve hour hike. But you have to get passes well in advance.

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Olympic is awesome. You've got the ocean, mountains, beautiful lakes, rain forests, big trees. It doesn't knock you over like Grand Canyon or the Tetons. It's much more subtle but it is a beautiful park. 

11 minutes ago, dennis said:

Olympic is awesome. You've got the ocean, mountains, beautiful lakes, rain forests, big trees. It doesn't knock you over like Grand Canyon or the Tetons. It's much more subtle but it is a beautiful park. 

Agreed... and most of it cannot be reached by car. I always wanted to hike through it.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Problem with the Dunes, short drive into Michigan and they are much better.

The falls in Clifty falls state park are good, several good caves in Southern Indiana, Beautiful Brown County with it's rolling terrain.  But I'd probably put Turkey Run State park at number one.

I've taken the train from Detroit to Chicago.  It passes through Indiana so I am an expert on Indiana.  Indiana consists only of Michigan City and Gary and those two places are shit-holes.  All the places you mention are just fake news.  Those photos I had to censor were probably from Michigan.

4 hours ago, Zealot said:

They list Cranberry Glades for WV.  But I think there are other places that rival it in the state. Seneca Rocks is amazing. The Dolly Sods, Spruce Knob, Greenbrier River, Canaan Valley, Blackwater Falls,  ... hell most of the state is pretty phenomenal.

I loved Seneca rocks. Very cool!

There aren't any specacular Grand Canyon-type places in Maryland but there are some areas where it's a pleasure to observe the scenery.

Most people in Maryland have never heard of "Great Falls Park" along the Potomac and many of us -including me- have never gone there because the good trails are tricky to get to, the good spots are far from parking lots, and there are so many other beautiful places in Maryland to visit.

For #1, I'd say it's the area around Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland (first two pics) including the following pics of:

Deep Creek Lake & Fishing:

1406208627_PontoonBoatonDeepCreekLake.jpg.8624fc4e70686b2592931485a46711bd.jpg 1592083747_FishingMe.thumb.jpg.8a68e7e82734cef21904eeaa35997551.jpg

View from our high-tech cabin on the lake, Jake outside

1881581511_20180630_183619600p.jpg.1b471a1e6be5315f6412ba93a1e48ebe.jpg 1365938321_JakeCropped.jpg.ea40f8f4a122f2242b893dd3017129af.jpg

Nephews Adam (blond), Ryan, and my brother's niece Grace at pool table, 1st floor TV room. Air-conditioned cabin built to sleep 14 people in comfort with 2 kitchens, etc.

491216659_20180630_191029600p.jpg.4f55188ec8f35d7440509471e93e8b30.jpg 1821449342_20180630_184125600p.jpg.722281d39cf144e617b8ccf2cde8735c.jpg

The Wisp Official Competition White Water Rapids course (1st pic, me on far side, back seat) and the Wisp Park Winter Skiing/Summer Thrill Rides (rail toboggan in pics 2 & 3, that comes down the mountain through loops & twists, our Grace and nephew Ryan in sun glasses)

1439167790_IMG_3515clar900p.JPG.495777cc635452b32a0cbf46352f2f2b.JPG 1183118410_RyanScottGraceMountainCoasterStart.jpg.457013054cd7ce91df7b94f35805b553.jpg 479619324_Ryanblowup.JPG.9b20281c88dff1047944fe8b344f20e1.JPG

Swallow Tail Falls, the river banks full of wild rhododendrons:

147745014_SwallFallsSt.Park2-900p.jpg.6c3a694e735c9aaad5b49d7fa819cfeb.jpg 1665493095_SwallFallsSt.Park4-900p.jpg.5f9f2385335b16f5b8aa3568adb713a8.jpg 2045416509_SwallFallsSt.Park7-900p.jpg.1e0fe347758270957de3acf26a52fb89.jpg

One that is more central to most Marylanders is Patapsco State Park. Here are my nephew Adam, Jake the Golden Doodle and me getting ready to cross the Swinging Bridge over the Patapsco River - I had to nearly lift Jake off the bridge by his harness to get him to cross, especially on the way back when he knew what to expect wuth the 1/2" spaces between the planks looking down - plus a YouTube video of the bridge and surrounding area:

20190524_120237cont_clar_900p.thumb.jpg.a4b89a85180666541df8c8a33455c37f.jpg 1436428107_20190524_120132cropped900p.thumb.jpg.a6bf4f4f2c716ca303b20f5d614edc77.jpg

If you're looking for river/nature spots there are a few nicer places.  One is than the flat Potomac area west of D.C. chosen by USA Today, including:

1122180007_WevertonCliffsAppalachianTrail.JPG.b5bba98f6a70eedbd226e5649ad03884.JPG

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, dennis said:

So what would you pick? 

I was totally blown away by Artist Point on top of Mt. Baker, as well as some of the forests on the way up the mountain.  I am so glad I saw that.