Would You Travel Overseas Next Month?

Razors Edge

7 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

The hype is spreading like wildfire. Still to be determined whether the virus is.

Whether the virus is what?

Honestly @BuffJim, I don’t listen to the news. I don’t watch it on tv.  If I know about something it’s because someone has mentioned it to me and I then do some internet research if it interests me.

But most news is designed to get people in an uproar.  I don’t need that. 

58 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

No.  I'd send you.

Done!  Send me the itinerary, tickets, and my per diem! SWEET!

My actual worry is more that places you go when traveling may be impacted.  Restaurants or museums closed. Random businesses curtailing activity in strange ways?  Hotels closing?

• Heart 1

April 15 I am going for 3 weeks to "The Continent". All non refundable. I just checked travel insurance premiums. There really wasn't much change from 3 years ago. I'll probably pull the trigger on that pretty soon. Just have to carefully look at the T&Cs.  A Chinese man died in Burgandy France this week. No evidence yet if it was the beer virus. I will  be there late April. 

7 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

April 15 I am going for 3 weeks to "The Continent". All non refundable. I just checked travel insurance premiums. There really wasn't much change from 3 years ago. I'll probably pull the trigger on that pretty soon. Just have to carefully look at the T&Cs.  A Chinese man died in Burgandy France this week. No evidence yet if it was the beer virus. I will  be there late April. 

We're traveling at the same time.  A lot can happen before then.  We will see.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, 12string said:

Other than being stuck in a tube full of germ laden recycled air for a few hours, what's the difference?  The coronavirus is everywhere, I could catch it here or on a beach in Tahiti.

I would go.  Life is uncertain.  I could get hit by a flying dump truck on my way home from work tonight.

57 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Man, you're gonna have A LOT of time off very soon.  Boston will definitely see cases in the very near term future.

TOO LATE!!!

Looks like 34 under "watch" in Boston already!  Are you now on a "no public places" restriction?  Just home <-> work allowed? And what about family?

It depends where.  The coronavirus appears to be much more contagious but less lethal than the flu.  Even 3rd world countries have become good at handling serious flu cases, but the fatality rates show they're not very good at handling coronavirus cases - though it's not clear: China has said the vast majority of deaths are to those over 60 with additional, complicating health issues but the numbers provided by the press withhold the breakdown.

So I'd be ok with Ireland, Britain, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium, Norway, Japan, Australia and a few other countries IF the price was good and there was a specific reason for going during the winter.

If this coronavirus behaves as previous coronaviruses and flus did, it will die away during the warmer months.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Done!  Send me the itinerary, tickets, and my per diem! SWEET!

My actual worry is more that places you go when traveling may be impacted.  Restaurants or museums closed. Random businesses curtailing activity in strange ways?  Hotels closing?

My actual worry would be getting locked out of the good ole' USA.