When dismembering a body...

Square Wheels

At the burial site works ok. 

I was going out the door to go to work. I hadn’t seen the cat for several days. As I was driving out the driveway I noticed the cat sleeping under the pine tree. I got out and checked to see if he was ok. He was not, flies buzzing all around him. My parents were due back from vacation while I was at work. I didn’t want them to see their cat that way. I didn’t have much time or I’d be late for work. I grabbed a shovel and dug a hole in the back part of the garden. The ground was hard to dig in. I threw the cat in the hole, his legs were sticking out of the hole because he was stiff and I didn’t have the hole deep enough. I looked at my watch, out of time. Chopped his legs off with the shovel, threw them in on top of him, filled in the hole and went to work. He never felt a thing.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

I haven't contemplated either choice before, so this is off the top of my attached head:

If I was going to bury the body, I'd be expecting no one would find it because DNA, etc. would establish who it is from a finger, etc.  So I wouldn't bother chopping up the body though decapitation and burying the head elsewhere might have some benefit.

I'd also leave it intact if was going to copy the strategy of the that soldier from PA (I can't remember if it was a real life thing or something from Bones, etc. on TV) who dumped his ex-wife's body in abandoned mine(s) in PA. There are many of them. I've been in the entrances of a couple of them where the Susquehanna River rose inside to with 50-100 feet of the entrance and they wouldn't be sending divers to find the weighted body in more than a few of them.

The only reason a quick think produces is to chop up a body is to dissolve it in acid or to submerge it in a body of water where the weights around the pieces would let the sea life devour the flesh before any of it floated to the top or to destroy it in some other fashion.

In my case, I wonder what the experience would do to me mentally for the rest of my life.  Probably continual guilt and fear of discovery.  The result would not make things better for me than the killing, unless my life was in danger from that person.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

At the burial site works ok. 

I was going out the door to go to work. I hadn’t seen the cat for several days. As I was driving out the driveway I noticed the cat sleeping under the pine tree. I got out and checked to see if he was ok. He was not, flies buzzing all around him. My parents were due back from vacation while I was at work. I didn’t want them to see their cat that way. I didn’t have much time or I’d be late for work. I grabbed a shovel and dug a hole in the back part of the garden. The ground was hard to dig in. I threw the cat in the hole, his legs were sticking out of the hole because he was stiff and I didn’t have the hole deep enough. I looked at my watch, out of time. Chopped his legs off with the shovel, threw them in on top of him, filled in the hole and went to work. He never felt a thing.

But we sure did! :(  Ouch!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Do it on site.  That is the messy part.  You want to bury at a spit where no one cand find them....., kill sites are often easy to find.  

...this.is good advice as far as it goes.  You want to hang and bleed the carcass as soon as you can, otherwise you will spoil the meat.

But you really ought to wait until you get home to do the butchering, wrapping, and freezing. You need a cleaner environment and some kind of tabletop/butcher block.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bellybutton Lent said:

You fools, you have to dismember.  Have you ever handled a body?  Way heavier than you would think, and very cumbersome

You can just Google Ed Gein and you can figure it out from there. 

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Do bodies disintegrate under water?  Or get eaten by 

Yes, in most cases they will break down in the water, however the decomposition process is altered somewhat compared to the process on land.  In some cases in a low oxygen environment, for chemical reasons I will not go into, but think of DH's soap making process, the body gets a waxy coating on the outside through a process of saponification.  When that happens the decomposition process can be greatly retarded or stopped altogether.   We have recovered bodies that are still body-ish 29 years after they went in the water.

And lots of things eat bodies, but mostly in salt water as opposed to fresh. That process can take as little as a few days in the right conditions 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Yes, in most cases they will break down in the water, however the decomposition process is altered somewhat compared to the process on land.  In some cases in a low oxygen environment, for chemical reasons I will not go into, but think of DH's soap making process, the body gets a waxy coating on the outside through a process of saponification.  When that happens the decomposition process can be greatly retarded or stopped altogether.   We have recovered bodies that are still body-ish 29 years after they went in the water.

And lots of things eat bodies, but mostly in salt water as opposed to fresh. That process can take as little as a few days in the right conditions 

How do you get a body up when it's in pieces?  What do first time divers do when they can't handle the gore and need to puke?

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

How you can even do your line of work...  it's enough for medical students to look at dead body as part of their studies.

We have special bags for when they are in various stages of decomposition.

As for the divers, for us that is not the issue.  All of our divers are police officers and once you have been to a few Honda Civic vs  Transport Truck accidents and walked up and down the side of a road with a bag picking up eye balls, kidneys and brains..., a vic in the water is pretty tame.  As I often say..., for the most part people tend to drown in one piece and nothing stinks underwater.

And as long as you chew your food well you can puke through your regulator if you have to, but it is a rare occurrence 

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

How you can even do your line of work...  it's enough for medical students to look at dead body as part of their studies.

First responders (police, fire, paramedics) see way more dead bodies than a large majority of doctors,  with the exception of big city ER docs maybe.  We all do it for different reasons, and all are required to see a Psychiatrist at least once a year.  Some people walk away after their first recovery if they feel it isnt for them.

For most..., it is the challenge.  Finding someone in the water can be extremely difficult.  When a victim is located it is normally high fives or fist bumps on the team because we have succeeded.  We are also not a rescue team, we know the victim is dead before we arrive so their is no pressure to try to save someone.

It is way harder on the team to have to tell a family that we could not find their child and we are done and going home.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

First responders (police, fire, paramedics) see way more dead bodies than a large majority of doctors,  with the exception of big city ER docs maybe.  We all do it for different reasons, and all are required to see a Psychiatrist at least once a year.  Some people walk away after their first recovery if they feel it isnt for them.

For most..., it is the challenge.  Finding someone in the water can be extremely difficult.  When a victim is located it is normally high fives or fist bumps on the team because we have succeeded.  We are also not a rescue team, we know the victim is dead before we arrive so their is no pressure to try to save someone.

It is way harder on the team to have to tell a family that we could not find their child and we are done and going home.

I've never asked my doc-sis who has worked in ER for 90% of career as physician so far, how many patients have died in her care or were brought to her...dead.  One day I will. She certainly has had to tell family members at the hospital, that their loved one has died.  She has been in practice for past 17 yrs.

I try not to initiate questions on the intricacies of her work. It's better that as a family member who loves her and cares about her as a person/not as doctor, that she comes forward to vent/say what she wants. 

You may have seen more.  She probably sees more from a different angle:   to help people badly injured....etc.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

I've never asked my doc-sis who has worked in ER for 90% of career as physician so far, how many patients have died in her care or were brought to her...dead.  One day I will. She certainly has had to tell family members at the hospital, that their loved one has died.  She has been in practice for past 17 yrs.

I try not to initiate questions on the intricacies of her work. It's better that as a family member who loves her and cares about her as a person/not as doctor, that she comes forward to vent/say what she wants. 

You may have seen more.  She probably sees more from a different angle:   to help people badly injured....etc.  

She is like us..., probably has lots of super interesting stories but does not really tell them to those outside the professional circle as generally people not in that world cannot relate to what she has experienced.

You are right not to ask..., if she wants to tell you at some point, she will

43 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

She is like us..., probably has lots of super interesting stories but does not really tell them to those outside the professional circle as generally people not in that world cannot relate to what she has experienced.

You are right not to ask..., if she wants to tell you at some point, she will

I'm glad she has a great close-friend-doctor from their days of med school to share/support each other and probably swap incredible stories and help each other with updated info.  I know that she's abit tired...tired of seeing people all the time,  not at their best. 

After all, she also sees ordinary "illnesses" that are minor in ER when people line up, etc. in the evening.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I can create a new section here where you can post these awesome stories.  Some would like to hear, and see, what you do.

9 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I can create a new section here where you can post these awesome stories.  Some would like to hear, and see, what you do.

When we finally end up in the same town at the same time and go out for nice vegan dinner somewhere, I will tell you all the stories you can handle.  (With pictures)

• Heart 1