My sister is an idiot

Indy

First, seriously wondering how bad my sister potentially just screwed herself.  And yes, I know this contains politics, but no not a political post, please keep it that way.

My sister just posted basically what was basically an anti gay post on FB regarding Buttigieg.

Personally, I think this is the kind of post that could end up with you being unemployed as a public school teacher.  I advised her to pull the post, am I over reacting?

@roadsue, @Airehead opinion?

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Indy said:

First, seriously wondering how bad my sister potentially just screwed herself.  And yes, I know this contains politics, but no not a political post, please keep it that way.

My sister just posted basically what was basically an anti gay post on FB regarding Buttigieg.

Personally, I think this is the kind of post that could end up with you being unemployed as a public school teacher.  I advised her to pull the post, am I over reacting?

NO!  You are NOT overreacting!  As a teacher there were MANY times I screamed at teachers I was friends with to pull controversial posts.

Teachers live under a double standard because parents rightly fear social or political brainwashing of their kids by teachers.

Most teacher contracts include language that says teachers can be fired for any action that is deemed to cause damage to their school system - even if they go to court and are found not guilty of something, the harm is often assumed to remain.

There's also something you might want to impress on your foolish sister: the fact that in order for an organization to work most effectively, all members of that organization have to be working together and rowing in the same direction as far as policy goes. I came from being an industrial Chief Chemist into teaching and knew that fact and I always made it clear to my scholastic superiors that I had their backs in terms of supporting official policy with the public.

There were MANY school policies, including No Child Left Behind and A-Day B-Day Scheduling that 90% of teachers I knew and I believed were awful for education and cheated kids at both the upper and lower ends of the academic spectrum from proper educations. But if I wanted to change those policies, I had to work internally and I couldn't do that if I had been fired. So on parent night, etc. I did my job and promoted the official board policies to the parents and students.  Learning would have been worse if kids came to my class with the mindset that I didn't believe in the education method I was forced to use!

A business operating in a homosexual area would be justified in firing anyone posting anti-gay stuff on Facebook because it hurts the business. The same for a school system.

• Heart 2

Just now, Dottles said:

I have basically been off it for a couple years now.

I mainly use it for jokes and laughs.  With kids, it's hard to not do FB because some many things they are involved in use it for communication.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Yes. But it really depends on the tone of her school or district.

2 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Yes. But it really depends on the tone of her school or district.

Yeah, that may be her savings grace.  Second biggest school district in the state, in the second biggest town, but kind of a rough area that it might be hard to attract teachers to.  Definitely not in a desirable school.

25 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I saw a car in the Home Depot parking lot yesterday that said "I 'heart' Islam."  Sure it's California, but why would you toss out bait for every islamophobic  idiot who walks past your car ?

Insurance money.

Same reason I have Purdue stuff on mine and work in southern Indiana.  @Parr8hedcan explain how dangerous that is

• Haha 1

Just now, Kirby said:

I would also vote for deleting the post and don't think you were overreacting.  But I suspect she won't take your advice.

Of course not, I'm little brother and she knows more than me.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

Ah, it's not as bad as it used to be.  If IU was relevant at all it might be a little more dangerous.  

Probably, but no one remembers the last time IU was relevant at this point.  :P

• Whatever 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2020 at 7:44 PM, Indy said:

It was good advice.  There is very little to be gained and she could be putting her job at risk The risk to reward for something like that is not in her favor.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:11 AM, maddmaxx said:

:dontknow:  Bah.  I have two half brothers whom I've never met and two step brothers who are half brothers to each other but I'm an only child too.

Ture story.

I had 7 half siblings in two tree branches, the next ones down on each branch passed.