So my wife is siriously agitating for a new SUV

Ralphie

Am I a big meanie for making her drive a 1999 Odyssey that leaks earl and eats transmissions?

I guess it does make sense to buy before I retaar in a year or two or 10. :D

One problem is my son in law got such a great deal on a gently used Acura sedan that it will hurt me to pay new prices.

Actually she drives the "new" :D Civic whenever she gets a chance or goes a long distance.  So a new SUV will help the Civic last longer.

Just now, Dottles said:

I know this one Ralph. We drive a lot of miles and the only way I would do it is if I could get a hybrid. Enter the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SUV. 

Well that and my other car had to essentially blow up.

There is the rub.  I am waiting for the Odyssey to blow up, but she thinks she will be stranded when that happens.  All three of the transmissions that died allowed us to limp home, but given its advanced age it is snot good for long trips.  I guess we could keep it, but we already have a spare car, the del Sol.

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Am I a big meanie for making her drive a 1999 Odyssey that leaks earl and eats transmissions?

I guess it does make sense to buy before I retaar in a year or two or 10. :D

One problem is my son in law got such a great deal on a gently used Acura sedan that it will hurt me to pay new prices.

Actually she drives the "new" :D Civic whenever she gets a chance or goes a long distance.  So a new SUV will help the Civic last longer.

CRV?

6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

guess it does make sense to buy before I retaar in a year or two or 10.

I drove beater cars for years after everyone else was done with them. When the 95 Accord that had over 250,000 on it was getting difficult to get through inspection I was going to buy another beater and my wife said I should buy something I really wanted while I was working and had time to pay it off before I retired. That’s when I bought the Element. Really good advise from my wife.

• Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

There is the rub.  I am waiting for the Odyssey to blow up, but she thinks she will be stranded when that happens.  All three of the transmissions that died allowed us to limp home, but given its advanced age it is snot good for long trips.  I guess we could keep it, but we already have a spare car, the del Sol.

Yeah my wife played the reliability/safety card too. But since I only have one car, I agreed with her. Limping along autos are ok if they are a secondary or tertiary car.

28 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Well shit. Invoice for an EX AWD looks to be aboot $28k, so $29k

Now you know why my Subaru Forester is 10 years old.  At least it only has 66K miles.  I can't justify a new SUV for a while.  

That said... if my wile would want a new car to replace her 1997 Honda Prelude, I'd find a way to buy what she wants.   I'm happy if she's happy, and she doesn't want to replace the Prelude any time soon.  Which is OK by me. 

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Now you know why my Subaru Forester is 10 years old.  At least it only has 66K miles.  I can't justify a new SUV for a while.  

That said... if my wile would want a new car to replace her 1997 Honda Prelude, I'd find a way to buy what she wants.   I'm happy if she's happy, and she doesn't want to replace the Prelude any time soon.  Which is OK by me. 

Excellent!  I always liked the newer Preludes but they were too much of a girls car.  A cow-orker's wife had an old one they called the Qualude. :D  Maybe 95 or so - I'll look.

Oops!  I was WAY off - 1982!

eva-mendes-movie-1982-honda-prelude-can-

• Haha 2

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Excellent!  I always liked the newer Preludes but they were too much of a girls car. 

Yeah, this was my wife's car.  She picked it out new.  Only 91K miles on the car.

I'm 6'3" and I don't fit into the car very will at all.  Like my head hits the ceiling. 

This is the car with the old wheels.  I bought new tires and wheels (that look a lot better) back in 2017.

image.thumb.png.9a0cda6958d6ff828c7e9ff78a316459.png

8 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Well shit. Invoice for an EX AWD looks to be aboot $28k, so $29k is aboot the best I can expect.  Carmax shows aboot 26-27k for a 2018 with 30k miles, so that is snot enough discount for used.

Check TrueCar. Actually, if you know one on the lot (and even better if you know which dealer they contract with) build it to match. Also, use the dealer's zip code when beginning the quote process - not yours. That will give you a good idea of what the actual price is, but read the fine print as may not incluse things like dealer add-on etc. 

When I bought my VW, obviously I hadn't run it when "just shopping" and would talk/bs general numbers. When came back had the TrueCar quote through USAA (not the general consumer TrueCar quote) and the sales person congratulated me stating "I couldn't tell you about it, but their agreement with the dealership is a much better price than what I could get through the sales manager." He was paid flat rate of units sold, so it didn't impact him as he got paid the same either way. Since I had a trade, it was then an issue of them not making up the difference on a lowball so had a good idea of realistic price to work for.

The above applies to new vehicles. Used car pricing...it is the wild west with or without (as-is) extended warranty.

3 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Check TrueCar. Actually, if you know one on the lot (and even better if you know which dealer they contract with) build it to match. Also, use the dealer's zip code when beginning the quote process - not yours. That will give you a good idea of what the actual price is, but read the fine print as may not incluse things like dealer add-on etc. 

When I bought my VW, obviously I hadn't run it when "just shopping" and would talk/bs general numbers. When came back had the TrueCar quote through USAA (not the general consumer TrueCar quote) and the sales person congratulated me stating "I couldn't tell you about it, but their agreement with the dealership is a much better price than what I could get through the sales manager." He was paid flat rate of units sold, so it didn't impact him as he got paid the same either way. Since I had a trade, it was then an issue of them not making up the difference on a lowball so had a good idea of realistic price to work for.

I started to sign up for that but all the fine print scared me away. How much difference are we talking?

18 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I started to sign up for that but all the fine print scared me away. How much difference are we talking?

I just signed up. There is no cost at very end after entering personal info (classic sales form got-cha). Use obsolete email (aol) I use for spam - 3000+ "new" emails last I looked :D - fake name and address of a known street in the adjacent city, and phone number my old land line. Wasn't certain which EX-AWD so I used the CRV, but at $30,180 MSRP obviously not it. With the consumer version I signed up for above, it only returned $29,078, so I signed into my USAA account and ran it there and the same car returned with $28,878. For a Honda that is not known for negotiating significantly, about $1200 off is not too bad. May want to check organizations you belong to as a lot do contract through TrueCar as the organization offers a 'benefit of membership' to you. Also, Costco's car buying service has been well regarded.

While I have it up, think I will run it on a Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid (hybrid re-introduced this year with model upgrade) and perhaps a Chevy Equinox with the2.0L engine just for fun.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yup!  I hate SUVs and love sedans, so that makes it tough for me.  Same as it was when we bought the van.  Yes, I know it is for her, but still!

Agreed, I always thought the SUVs were for those who couldn't see themselves in a minivan. And minivans were for those who didn't want to drive their parents station wagons. Truth be told I was lusting for a new Mazda 6 mid size sport sedan, I had a grey one in the early 2000s. Loved it. I even had a new dark grey one picked out. But need triumphs over lust, and we needed something that could be loaded with peoples, dogs, vacation stuff and tow a 2000 pound trailer safely. And since Mazda stopped sell mini vans, we test drove a Chrysler Pacifica. The Pacifica was nice. But then we test drove the Mazda CX 9....:wub:   The CX just filled our needs more closely. And it was built by the same folks who build the Miata, so whoever drives it gets a huge smile on their face. Besides, its considered the "Tall Wagon" AWD version of a Mazda 6.  :D

OK, just ran some fun one based on the USAA system of TrueCar. Unfortunately AWD is rare in Florida, so with inventory had to stick with FWD. Also, the dealer page further broke down the details as the price includes dealer discount and certain "realistic" promotion discounts that everyone qualified for, then not included to add in were dealer fee ($799 for both dealers) and registration/taxes. Each are significantly more than the Honda.

Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid MSRP 36960, price 32641
Chevy Equinox, LT 2.0L engine MSRP 36,060, price 29,490
Chevy Equinox Premiere, 2.0L Engine MSRP 39,565, price 33,118

Also, it pays to shop as we have a "No Dealer Fee" Ford dealership (i.e. no $799 fee) which apparently doesn't take part in the TrueCar program and looked at their website. Most of their stock had no option as Titanium trim is well equipped with MSRP 34595, priced 3616 lower at 30979. But found one close to the one above (less the premium paint color) MSRP 36590, priced 4238 lower at 32352. That is $300 cheaper than the TrueCar quote above and saves an additional $799 without the dealer fee dealer fee. Both included the same Ford rebates in the quoted price.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:59 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Well shit. Invoice for an EX AWD looks to be aboot $28k, so $29k is aboot the best I can expect.  Carmax shows aboot 26-27k for a 2018 with 30k miles, so that is snot enough discount for used.

Ralph, buddy...  Just buy your wife the car! You'll both like it. I just put a shine on ours last night.

DSC09410P3.JPG.a73bc38b02b676cda65b5888357e4a31.JPG

• Heart 4

21 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

😀😀😀My last 3 cars have been that color.

My wife buys what she wants and drives it home and by the end of our dirt road it looks like crap. Her last two cars were burgundy.  Our granddaughter says they should put a car wash at the end of our road.

• Haha 1