Is it time for pancakes?

Randomguy

25 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Only heathens and New Yorkers (same thing) eat pancakes on days other than Sunday.

While I appreciate the certainty in which you are making your case, you are factually incorrect.  My belief is that Saturday is the day that more pancakes are made at home, whereas more are made in diners on Sunday.  By a small margin, though.  I have my reasons for this belief.

Waffles are only made by heathens whose tastebuds have been permanently damaged by chronic PRI, flu, and Airedale ownership.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I avoid making pancakes on Saturday. Not sure why. 

That seems weird to me, but traditions can play a big part of things.  Growing up, Sundays meant big dinners at a grandmother's house, and always a hunk of beef or pork.

5 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...you need fresh blueberries to make a decent pancake.

Too expensive right now.  I have frozen, but no time to thaw.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I have a high protein mix that I got at Trader Joe's, it wasn't very good. 

...don't buy pancake mix, you loser. Sift together one level cup of whole wheat hi protein flour, 12 teaspoon each of baking powder, baking soda, and salt, one egg, a tablespoon or two of some sort of oil like canola, and a cup of either milk or almond milk. It needs to be a little bit thinner than muffin batter, but not much.  Try to find one of the winter wheat varieties, which are usually higher in protein.

Box mix has a "shelf life" of two or three years, so it's no surprise your pancakes were unpleasant. And buy the fucking blueberries at Trader Joe's, where they have been selling the ones from the southern hemisphere now.

30 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...you need fresh blueberries to make a decent pancake.

I don't find that to be true.  Frozen seem just as good once cooked.

23 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have frozen, but no time to thaw.

I rinse them with hot water in a strainer.  Takes about 2 minutes.  Start a tradition with the kid, pancake Sunday.

50 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't find that to be true.  Frozen seem just as good once cooked.

I rinse them with hot water in a strainer.  Takes about 2 minutes.  Start a tradition with the kid, pancake Sunday.

I put them frozen in the pancakes. Just sprinkle them on once the batter is on the grill. 

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

That seems weird to me, but traditions can play a big part of things.  Growing up, Sundays meant big dinners at a grandmother's house, and always a hunk of beef or pork.

Too expensive right now.  I have frozen, but no time to thaw.

I bought three pints of blueberries last week $1.19 a pint. That was from Walts the somewhat expensive grocery store in town. My wife has requested blueberry pancakes every day but one ( when she wanted bacon and eggs & toast). These blueberries were from Chili and they were very good.

You can use the frozen berries, just use slightly lower heat and give them a bit longer to cook. I’ve been doing that all winter until I saw these last week.

i tried some of that high protein mix, it was ok, not as good as my from scratch pancakes. It might be healthier, not sure.

4 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...don't buy pancake mix, you loser. Sift together one level cup of whole wheat hi protein flour, 12 teaspoon each of baking powder, baking soda, and salt, one egg, a tablespoon or two of some sort of oil like canola, and a cup of either milk or almond milk. It needs to be a little bit thinner than muffin batter, but not much.  Try to find one of the winter wheat varieties, which are usually higher in protein.

Box mix has a "shelf life" of two or three years, so it's no surprise your pancakes were unpleasant. And buy the fucking blueberries at Trader Joe's, where they have been selling the ones from the southern hemisphere now.

Yes, mixes aren't the best.  The mix is less than a month old, RO didn't like them.  That said, I don't want to waste it.  Also, I would rather spend time with RO when I have her instead of mixing and washing extra dishes and such.  5 minutes is 5 minutes, and she doesn't appreciate good food yet.

The blueberries were mealy at TJ's last night.  I try the berries before I buy there.

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I have a high protein mix that I got at Trader Joe's, it wasn't very good.  I want to use it up, waste not, you see...

Is it time?

Pancakes are like most "breakfast" foods - good for breakfast but GREAT for any other time.  That concept singlehandedly SAVED McDonalds.

...if you genuinely cannot get good, fresh blueberries in New York City, some places (like Costco) sell them dried, in bags of about a pound.

You just grab some, toss them in a bowl, and cover with boiling water from the teakettle for about 5 minutes.

Throwing out pancake box mix is  not a waste.  It's a net benefit.