Oh no! I have (actually had) a flat tey-er! - PSA included

Ralphie

Now I know how the gecko felt!  If anything makes me give up cycling, it will either be the crashing, or flat tires.  This was on a Forte kevlar belted, but the piece of wire got right through that kevlar belt.  These things are no gatorskins!  I almost put the new tube in before feeling to find the piece of wire, so remember to do that!

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Now I know how the gecko felt!  If anything makes me give up cycling, it will either be the crashing, or flat tires.  This was on a Forte kevlar belted, but the piece of wire got right through that kevlar belt.  These things are no gatorskins!  I almost put the new tube in before feeling to find the piece of wire, so remember to do that!

Along with your on road tools (carried in a sock of course) carry a couple of cotton balls.  You can sweep around the inside of the tire with them without getting your hand cut and they will find and sometimes even mark the offending wire bit.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Along with your on road tools (carried in a sock of course) carry a couple of cotton balls.  You can sweep around the inside of the tire with them without getting your hand cut and they will find and sometimes even mark the offending wire bit.

Good idea - thanks!  I'll put some in there now while I am thinking aboot it. Oh yeah, forgot part of the PSA - I had taken my seatbag off to get the bike tuned up and I have been riding withoot it for the past two months.  Thankfully the tire flatted in the garage and not oot on the road.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Good idea - thanks!  I'll put some in there now while I am thinking aboot it. Oh yeah, forgot part of the PSA - I had taken my seatbag off to get the bike tuned up and I have been riding withoot it for the past two months.  Thankfully the tire flatted in the garage and not oot on the road.

The sock is important too.  In addition to quieting the rattle of tools it can serve as a glove if you have to do anything with the chain.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

54 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Back in the day, Specialized Armadillos were the best puncture resistant tires there were. Wish they’d continued the line. 

They still have them @Zealot. I rode almost 8,000 miles on a pair of Armadillos. We can still get them through the LBS (I think). I'm currently running Conti 5Ks. They are grippy, sticky taars. Not sure how they are on mileage/puncture resistance yet but I'll let you know.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

They still have them @Zealot. I rode almost 8,000 miles on a pair of Armadillos. We can still get them through the LBS (I think). I'm currently running Conti 5Ks. They are grippy, sticky taars. Not sure how they are on mileage/puncture resistance yet but I'll let you know.

Awesome!  Had no idea.  I looked for them many years back and couldn’t find them. I ran Conti Gatorskins for awhile, but they wore out quicker than the money I paid for them. 

22 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

A good reminder to check the contents of our tool bags now that many of us are riding again. 

I was riding a paved trail through the woods last year and ran over a stick. I heard a metallic sound and looked back to see what I hit. I didn’t see anything so I kept going. I got back to my car and found my seat bag was open. A quick Check showed most tools there but I was missing a $59 Leatherman. I rode back the five miles to where I ran over the stick and there it was beside the stick. The advantage of having a trail that doesn’t get used much. 

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I was riding a paved trail through the woods last year and ran over a stick. I heard a metallic sound and looked back to see what I hit. I didn’t see anything so I kept going. I got back to my car and found my seat bag was open. A quick Check showed most tools there but I was missing a $59 Leatherman. I rode back the five miles to where I ran over the stick and there it was beside the stick. The advantage of having a trail that doesn’t get used much. 

Oy. I was out testing the new trailer over the weekend. Riding around, I heard, "tink, tink, tink." After I parked, I realized one of the arms for the rack had dropped off the rack. The arm was hanging from the equivalent of the seat stays and tinking the spokes. So looking around, I see that a piece of the rack is missing, a little ferrule. So I walked up and down the street looking for my part. No joy. After sleeping on it, I happened to think that the ferrule is round. I walked out to the street to check the gutter and Viola! There it was, ten feet from my driveway.

• Heart 1

Some years ago I was riding with my BIL.  He wasn’t a strong rider and it was more of a chill ride.  He had a back pack on but apparently didn’t zip it and some  fruit he packed fell out.  

Homeboy was gonna back track to look for his fruit!?!    I asked him, so your gonna back track 5 miles to look for fruit that fell 3’ at 10 mph and rolled away?  Hmm, good point. Think there is a grocery store nearby? 

• Haha 2

Many years ago I was doing an early morning ride in DC. At one point a car comes up behind me fast and will not pass. I got a little ticked-off and waved for him to go around.  He blew his horn at me.   I came to a stop light and he pulled up beside me. I readied myself for a confrontation.  He handed me my wallet and said, “this fell out of the pack on your seat a few miles back.”

I was dumb struck.  And it made me believe a little more on humanity.

• Awesome 2

19 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

it can serve as a glove if you have to do anything with the chain.

I always keep a pair of latex first aid gloves with my flat tools, as even fixing flats can get your hands dirty. 

Plus as a hobby proctologist, you never know when the opportunity may arise

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Many years ago I was doing an early morning ride in DC. At one point a car comes up behind me fast and will not pass. I got a little ticked-off and waved for him to go around.  He blew his horn at me.   I came to a stop light and he pulled up beside me. I readied myself for a confrontation.  He handed me my wallet and said, “this fell out of the pack on your seat a few miles back.”

I was dumb struck.  And it made me believe a little more on humanity.

My dummy wallet came out of my jersey pocket  on Petites Big Adventure just as I was approaching Harpers Ferry. I heard it hit the trail and as I slowed down DP yelled at me that I lost my wallet. I had my real wallet stowed safely away in my panniers. The other wallet just carried lunch money and might satisfy a mugger.

• Heart 1