Happy First Day of Meteorological Spring

Kirby

Personally I think the meteorolgists are rushing things here, but I tend to agree that autumn should be Sept/Oct/Nov and winter should be Dec/Jan/Feb so I guess that leaves spring starting on March 1.  I hope you all enjoyed it.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/meteorological-versus-astronomical-seasons

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I am not sure how warm it got today...but at least 45 degrees...maybe we broke 50 briefly...My car thermometer sure thought so...

I went looking for a spring feeling outfit..just pants and a top for the transitional season...Well Hell...I spent more money at Dick's getting a couple of tops, a sports bra and 2 pairs of workout pants...well capri's (normal length on me) and a pair of shorts :whistle:  I am ready for SPRING...

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Kirby said:

Personally I think the meteorolgists are rushing things here, but I tend to agree that autumn should be Sept/Oct/Nov and winter should be Dec/Jan/Feb so I guess that leaves spring starting on March 1.  I hope you all enjoyed it.

Astronomical season times vary depending when the equinox or solstice happens. Meteorological seasons are a firm time which may be easier for record keeping. But I'm not sure of the actual reason.

19 hours ago, Kirby said:

Personally, I think they should adjust the calendar so that Dec. 21, when winter normally starts, becomes Jan. 1, and the rest of the seasons will pretty much fall into beginning-of month starts.

Better yet, there are two guys pushing for a new type of calendar that would have 364 days per year - and even 52 weeks - then a leap week every 3-4 years.  That way, birthdays, holidays, etc. would come on the same day of the week every year, with the exception of holidays dependent on lunar cycles, etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

That way, birthdays, holidays, etc. would come on the same day of the week every year, with the exception of holidays dependent on lunar cycles, etc.

Jeebus - that's a BIG EFF YOU to the poor schlubs who have a Tues, Wed, or Thurs birthday.  Birthdays are a great excuse for a long weekend (Mon or Fri off), and no one really likes taking just Wednesday off.