Jump to content

Drank tha casein stuff quick


petitepedal
 Share

Recommended Posts



Why do you need extra slow-release protein?

I once ran weekend distance races often with a woman who was a fellow teacher at our school and when she brought along a friend for 10K or 10 mile runs, we had to run slow so the friend could stay in a group with us and converse with us while we ran. We were all in our 30's.

Then that slow friend found out she was low in iron and began taking iron supplements.

Within a year, she was winning big local races month after month after month.  We couldn't keep up with her and, with chances of winning, she wasn't going to slow down for us and we didn't blame her.

Ever since, I'm convinced that just one nutritional change can make a major difference in a person's health or level of activity.

I'm still looking for mine.  Maybe it will be in the next flavor of Cheez-Its!

  • Heart 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Ever since, I'm convinced that just one nutritional change can make a major difference in a person's health or level of activity.

I'm still looking for mine.  Maybe it will be in the next flavor of Cheez-Its!

Maybe the next ale that catches my eye.....:hapydance:

  • Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Why do you need extra slow-release protein?

I once ran weekend distance races often with a woman who was a fellow teacher at our school and when she brought along a friend for 10K or 10 mile runs, we had to run slow so the friend could stay in a group with us and converse with us while we ran. We were all in our 30's.

Then that slow friend found out she was low in iron and began taking iron supplements.

Within a year, she was winning big local races month after month after month.  We couldn't keep up with her and, with chances of winning, she wasn't going to slow down for us and we didn't blame her.

Ever since, I'm convinced that just one nutritional change can make a major difference in a person's health or level of activity.

I'm still looking for mine.  Maybe it will be in the next flavor of Cheez-Its!

Because she is working out hard. Her muscles need the protein for recovery 💪.  Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, smudge said:

Because she is working out hard. Her muscles need the protein for recovery 💪.  Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

Don't forget the good carbs, too, that are at least as important as protein! You can find studies supporting almost every diet there is for workout recovery, but almost all the key ones that get published by NIH, the Mayo Clinic, etc. stress carbs and protein:

While all experts agreed that protein needs for performance are likely greater than believed in past generations, particularly for strength training athletes, and that dietary fat could sustain an active person through lower-intensity training bouts, current research still points to carbohydrate as an indispensable energy source for high-intensity performance. (2018, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5794245/).

...a look at why carbs are ideal for post-workout recovery, the case for pairing them with protein and RD-approved options to try...Several studies have shown carbohydrates replenish glycogen in the muscles, counter exercise-induced changes to the immune system and reduce muscle soreness and improve performance in subsequent exercise. (2019, https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-carbs-factor-into-post-workout-recovery/).

I also know what I'm talking about because I've coached at least 700 cross country, track, and softball athletes in the later 80's through 2002 and interacted with the coaches of other teams and those who were among the best athletes did lots of carbs.

There have been studies that say carbs are needed after hard workouts.  One study found that cyclists who had a 60% or higher carb diet recovered faster: they took tiny samples of quads muscle tissue and evaluated the VO2 at various times to determine the readiness of the tissue to perform. I can't find the reference online but it's in a 2000's next-to-last-edition college text I bought cheap on Amazon. The bastards rewrite their books every couple of years, changing them just enough so students who used the texts previously can no longer sell them used to new students and they end up real cheap at places like Amazon.  I think it's in this book, copyright 2005

51NQ15CZZ6L._SX386_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An old Scouter this weekend adds Irish butter, coconut oil, tumeric and black pepper to his coffee.  Says tumeric will help all kinds of aches and pains but your body cannot absorb it with black pepper.  

I skipped the tumeric and pepper and just used the butter and cocount oil in mine.

 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/turmeric-and-black-pepper

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

An old Scouter this weekend adds Irish butter, coconut oil, tumeric and black pepper to his coffee.  Says tumeric will help all kinds of aches and pains but your body cannot absorb it with black pepper.  

I skipped the tumeric and pepper and just used the butter and cocount oil in mine.

 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/turmeric-and-black-pepper

I supplement with turmeric and Bioperine, a black pepper extract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smudge said:

Like I said, I know what I'm talking about.

micdrop.thumb.jpg.1688e52315def330a7cb4ef631b6ff3f.jpg

Holy Moly @smudge :frantics:

I don't  need muscles that big :wacko:

For the record I eat carbs I am not into that keto thing...I am more of a portion control with a fairly good dose of healthy (less processed foods, more veggies..but eat from all food categories)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Holy Moly @smudge :frantics:

I don't  need muscles that big :wacko:

For the record I eat carbs I am not into that keto thing...I am more of a portion control with a fairly good dose of healthy (less processed foods, more veggies..but eat from all food categories)

Honestly, I think I have decent genetics for the bi's. My grandmother (a Polish dairy farmer) had awesome bi's all her life.  But seriously, a decent diet that feeds those muscles for recovery and growth is key. Knock back your casein protein at night. It will serve you well. As I said, Trust Me.  #girlpower

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...