I Don't Get It

Razors Edge

I'm finally watching Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.  The premise is that Thanos collects some Infinity Stones that will give him the power to snap his fingers and remove 1/2 the population of all life in the universe instantly. 

Anyway, WTF would be the rationale behind that? Laziness? Stupidity?  I assume Thanos has a reason, but cutting the population - at least of humans - in half would have, at best, a 50 year impact before we were right back at the same place. Also, assuming Thanos would be essentially omnipotent with the stones, he could certainly be a surgeon rather than a hack.  Sort of dopey. :(  Just comic book movies, but what a non-thoughtful way to wield supreme-super powers.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm finally watching Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.  The premise is that Thanos collects some Infinity Stones that will give him the power to snap his fingers and remove 1/2 the population of all life in the universe instantly. 

Anyway, WTF would be the rationale behind that? Laziness? Stupidity?  I assume Thanos has a reason, but cutting the population - at least of humans - in half would have, at best, a 50 year impact before we were right back at the same place. Also, assuming Thanos would be essentially omnipotent with the stones, he could certainly be a surgeon rather than a hack.  Sort of dopey. :(  Just comic book movies, but what a non-thoughtful way to wield supreme-super powers.

It would stop Greta in her tracks. 

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It would stop Greta in her tracks. 

Yeah, but only for 50 years max. 

Thanos isn't really thinking "big" enough.  90% reductions to achieve his seeming intentions, but even more so, reductions in specific problem civilizations that are causing mayhem in the Marvel Universe.  Not sure why he has such a raging desire for that half thing :(

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, but only for 50 years max. 

Thanos isn't really thinking "big" enough.  90% reductions to achieve his seeming intentions, but even more so, reductions in specific problem civilizations that are causing mayhem in the Marvel Universe.  Not sure why he has such a raging desire for that half thing :(

Thanos has anger issues.  Not "turn green and smash things" anger issues, maybe a little worse. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Thanos has anger issues.  Not "turn green and smash things" anger issues, maybe a little worse. 

I watched the latest episode of "Doctor Who" last night. The Master has issues. He executed a plan to kill everyone, including himself, just to diminish and destroy the Doctor. It may be the 'criminally insane' aspect that makes a story epic or noteworthy.

9 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I stopped reading the post after reading “Avengers”.  🤷‍♂️ 

I'm only a couple years behind the curve on these movies, but gonna catch up eventually. 

Looking at the top 20 of all time, I have seen most but not all.  I didn't realize Endgame was #1.

image.thumb.png.6fef1fc38de4254b2e2f055336e3716a.png

16 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's reasonable that I've not seen Frozen 1 or 2, Incredibles 2, Beauty and the Beast, or the Lion King.  What's not reasonable is that I've never seen Titanic.  All the rest I've seen at least once.

I've seen Frozen, B&tB, and the Incredibles 2.  I haven't seen Frozen 2 nor this new Lion King (saw the original).  I have seen the first F&F movie, but not any of the other F&Fs.  Haven't seen Black Panther yet nor the full Avengers: Ultron so I am missing some storyline development of these newer Avengers movies.  I don't think I saw the JP: Fallen Kingdom (except maybe on a flight with the sound off). 

Obviously, newer films gross more, so this top 20 list is pretty useless to me as a guide to what are "good" movies to see, but it is always interesting to see what other folks have spent money on.