Anyone preparing for DST?

Reverend_Maynard

Apparently there is real evidence that just the loss of that 1 hour of sleep has a real affect on people's health, with heart attacks and car accidents way up the Monday after the switch.  Experts suggest preparing this week, by gradually going to be earlier, getting up earlier... Anyone try that strategy?  I think I will give it a try.

• Awesome 1

I tend to wake up every morning at the same time, 4:56 or within a few minutes either way. Even when we change time I’m up at that time starting the first morning of the new time. I’ve never Had to use an alarm clock.🤔

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Zackny said:

I tend to wake up every morning at the same time, 4:56 or within a few minutes either way. Even when we change time I’m up at that time starting the first morning of the new time. I’ve never Had to use an alarm clock.🤔

That's a nice skill to have, not sure how you manage it, though

1 minute ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

That seems to be what all the people who end up as statistics think.

My goal.  I just got back from my cardiologist and he says I need more exercise.  And more sleep no doubt.  Oh, and lose some of this tire around my waist.  There's a lot of crap I need to do.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dottles said:

My goal.  I just got back from my cardiologist and he says I need more exercise.  And more sleep no doubt.  Oh, and lose some of this tire around my waist.  There's a lot of crap I need to do.

I hear that....  I think i get enough exercise, most of the time, but the rest... 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

That seems to be what all the people who end up as statistics think.

So, someone like @jsharr with his Boy Scout camp wrangling responsibilities and subsequent yoyo sleep schedule is pretty much doomed?  Sure, he takes a nap at work each day, but is that enough?

Also, thinking about that, would we - "The Cafe" - be able to take out a life insurance policy on him and maybe Dottles for some nice chunk of change? Surely we can show that we have a vested interest in their sticking around to entertain us, and the $10million will only scratch the surface of the pain we will feel from their loss.

One advantage of retirement is I can sleep a little later if I feel the need and gradually work my way back by setting the alarm closer and closer to my normal wake-up time (8 am) as the days after Mar. 8th pass if I feel unusually tired getting up at the normal time.

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So, someone like @jsharr with his Boy Scout camp wrangling responsibilities and subsequent yoyo sleep schedule is pretty much doomed?  Sure, he takes a nap at work each day, but is that enough?

Also, thinking about that, would we - "The Cafe" - be able to take out a life insurance policy on him and maybe Dottles for some nice chunk of change? Surely we can show that we have a vested interest in their sticking around to entertain us, and the $10million will only scratch the surface of the pain we will feel from their loss.

My understanding of the research?  Yup, doomed! :rofl:

Is there a requirement to have a vested interest?  Or to even know a person that you want to insure?  Shirley the insurance companies will set a rate and collect your premiums for virtually any contingency, right?

10 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

One advantage of retirement...

Most days, I don't set any alarms.  I just get up, usually at 7:30, which is sleeping in compared to 5:30 when I worked.  

When I worked, my plan was just go to sleep 1 hour early on Sunday night and be sure the clock is on the correct time.

Now, I'm glad I have a watch that displays the day of the week, in addition to time and date.  That way I can remember when to put out the garbage.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

It may be as simple as getting a new Cardiologist.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I get to sleep in.  Instead of waking at 3:30 I will wake at 4:30.  The morning gang will still be here.

Sometimes before I fall off I see you come on.  It may be 1:30 a.m. over here and yet there you are.  Is this a farm thing or did the helicopter company get you in a routine to be up bright and early?  I know when i worked at Boeing out of college it was a shock.  They had a 7 a.m. start time that I found brutal.

10 hours ago, Dottles said:

That is why I started wit sleep!  But these nocturnal forum visits are not good. Damnit!

• Heart 1

I always liked getting up early. Now that I’m stuck at home all the time there isn’t much advantage. Now I try to wait until it starts getting light. When the time changes I’ll still be getting up just as it starts to get light.

My wife’s medical people usually show up at the crack of noon so I have lots of time to put on pants.

• Awesome 1