The problem with supervisors

Gump

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Or, at the least, the butterfly guy needs to go.

He should he’s been here 37+years and I am in line for that position.

27 minutes ago, Zackny said:

Finally told them the problem is how the two of them refuse to work together and if we don’t get this done they can only blame themselves.

That’s one thing I don’t miss since I retired, office politics, etc..

Just remember… If I read your explanation correctly, you still report to both of them.  And you know what happens when things go bad and the crap starts flowing downhill. 

I remember my boss wanted to go to HR and report an ethics issue about her boss a VP, about a person who worked for me. (I didn’t hire that person.  I was told by upper management this person will be working for me.  The rumor was he was some how related to another VP.)

I told my boss, are you crazy??  I’m not going to HR about the VP.  If you want to do that, have fun.  I told her I wanted to retire, not get fired.

Several weeks later, before we presented year end reviews to upper management.  I was told by my boss we had a meeting with the VP about my employee.  Just after all of the reviews (a few hours later) my boss tells me, she had to go to this other meeting that she forgot about.  So, I get to meet with the VP.  That was an interesting meeting.  I wasn’t fired. 

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

That’s one thing I don’t miss since I retired, office politics, etc..

Just remember… If I read your explanation correctly, you still report to both of them.  And you know what happens when things go bad and the crap starts flowing downhill. 

I remember my boss wanted to go to HR and report an ethics issue about her boss a VP, about a person who worked for me. (I didn’t hire that person.  I was told by upper management this person will be working for me.  The rumor was he was some how related to another VP.)

I told my boss, are you crazy??  I’m not going to HR about the VP.  If you want to do that, have fun.  I told her I wanted to retire, not get fired.

Several weeks later, before we presented year end reviews to upper management.  I was told by my boss we had a meeting with the VP about my employee.  Just after all of the reviews (a few hours later) my boss tells me, she had to go to this other meeting that she forgot about.  So, I get to meet with the VP.  That was an interesting meeting.  I wasn’t fired. 

Technically the higher up is not my direct super, he just believes it’s ok for him to skip the middleman in the name of getting things done. The fortunate thing is neither of them are in this office. They are in adjoining offices in their building but you’d never know it by the lack of communications.

1 hour ago, Zackny said:

Technically the higher up is not my direct super, he just believes it’s ok for him to skip the middleman in the name of getting things done. The fortunate thing is neither of them are in this office. They are in adjoining offices in their building but you’d never know it by the lack of communications.

Adjoining offices???!!! Oh for chrissake.

The Chief Chemist for Process Development I worked under had just a bachelor's degree in chemistry and, as our subsidiary of Dow Chemical expanded, he ended up with four research teams led by chemists with Masters and Ph.D. degrees working under him.

He could have done the job - he had enough industrial experience to overcome most of his educational shortfalls, but he was so worried someone was going to try to steal his job that he became an interfering pain in the ass.  Eventually, I organized a coup and the four of us team leaders met with the Vice President of Operations and showed him how our Chief Chemist was slowing us down or holding us back on various projects by ok'ing only certain research trials: he thought we were trying to get him to approve bad research to make him look bad when it failed so he killed promising research and suggested weak replacements instead of using our knowledge to make him look good.

The meeting ended with the VP "promoting" our Chief Chemist to "Chief Plant Chemist" - basically quality control - and I was named new Chief Research Chemist.  I thought I'd get a lot of flak from plant workers, lab techs, secretaries, etc. for stabbing my boss in the back to get his job, but it was a small enough plant that everyone knew he deserved what he got.

8 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The Chief Chemist for Process Development I worked under had just a bachelor's degree in chemistry and, as our subsidiary of Dow Chemical expanded, he ended up with four research teams led by chemists with Masters and Ph.D. degrees working under him.

He could have done the job - he had enough industrial experience to overcome most of his educational shortfalls, but he was so worried someone was going to try to steal his job that he became an interfering pain in the ass.  Eventually, I organized a coup and the four of us team leaders met with the Vice President of Operations and showed him how our Chief Chemist was slowing us down or holding us back on various projects by ok'ing only certain research trials: he thought we were trying to get him to approve bad research to make him look bad when it failed so he killed promising research and suggested weak replacements instead of using our knowledge to make him look good.

The meeting ended with the VP "promoting" our Chief Chemist to "Chief Plant Chemist" - basically quality control - and I was named new Chief Research Chemist.  I thought I'd get a lot of flak from plant workers, lab techs, secretaries, etc. for stabbing my boss in the back to get his job, but it was a small enough plant that everyone knew he deserved what he got.

Mick the Usurper or Mick the Mad Scientist, I can't decide which. :lol: