Have you stockpiled anything for the coming apocalypse?

Kirby

Besides for the normal thank you notes and ice cream sandwiches, have you stocked up on anything extra in case you or a family member gets the flu or you're forced to stay home for a week or two due to the flu?  I ordered some extra cat food for my cat since he's old and has a prescription diet and the availability of his food can be tricky sometimes for no reason at all.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Besides for the normal thank you notes and ice cream sandwiches, have you stocked up on anything extra in case you or a family member gets the flu or you're forced to stay home for a week or two due to the flu?  I ordered some extra cat food for my cat since he's old and has a prescription diet and the availability of his food can be tricky sometimes for no reason at all.

What was your address again????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My sister and I had a conversation about that Saturday. She's a master nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital and chief assistant to the head of cancer research there.  Despite the desperation of their patients, they're having trouble getting certain meds right now.  I've got enough meds in stock to get through anything where I wouldn't need a doctor anyway.

Maybe it's because we grew up in a family so poor that you spread the jam really thin on bread to make the jar last, that we're both food hoarders and figure we could probably live a month with what we've got in our homes!

...I have been sick with an URI for the past four or five days.  I have been afraid to go out to stock up, because if I sneeze standing in line to buy stuff, someone will probably beat me to death with a club.  Once the word got out that there was someone over at UCD med center here for almost a week before they got back a positive test  there, the mood has been ugly. :(

There are three or four junior college nursing students who got exposed in her case. I guess they're confined to home doing their classroom work from there.  But they'll be unable to complete their practical experience training for a while.  Which must be a drag, but I guess it goes with the territory.

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Yes.  My wife and I agreed that the prudent thing would be to load up on cat food and keep at least 2 weeks supply of food in the house.  She works in the healthcare industry and has to be out and about so no matter what I do -- if the coronavirus is going to rear it's ugly head, I'll probably end up getting it even though I may have stayed at home.  We're prepared though.  For what, I don't know since she has to go out.

On a side note, Costco here has been going crazy.  People have made a run on the stores and they are literally sold out of water, tissues, ALL sterilizing products, and the like.  Folks are not waiting for government officials to declare an epidemic before they try to do something.  We are no different.  I had my wife get 3 weeks of cat food just in case.  I think we have 2 or 3 weeks of food at home -- just in case. There's no way we can completely eliminate the threat but there are things we can do like reduce our public contact.  And I must say, my hands have never been as clean for an extended period as they have been these last few days.

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I have been sick with an URI for the past four or five days.  I have been afraid to go out to stock up, because if I sneeze standing in line to buy stuff, someone will probably beat me to death with a club.  Once the word got out that there was someone over at UCD med center here for almost a week before they got back a positive test  there, the mood has been ugly. :(

There are three or four junior college nursing students who got exposed in her case. I guess they're confined to home doing their classroom work from there.  But they'll be unable to complete their practical experience training for a while.  Which must be a drag, but I guess it goes with the territory.

Oh yeah.  It's gotten pretty serious here.  When it was discovered that a high school teen's virus had a DNA link to the first man ever quarantined in the US, everyone has come to agreement that this thing has been passing around for sometime now. This teen has never met this guy, was never in contact with anyone known to have the virus, and hasn't been traveling or left the country.

7 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Oh yeah.  It's gotten pretty serious here.  When it was discovered that a high school teen's virus had a DNA link to the first man ever quarantined in the US, everyone has come to agreement that this thing has been passing around for sometime now. This teen has never met this guy, was never in contact with anyone known to have the virus, and hasn't been traveling or left the country.

Yea, it's been around for awhile.  Without proper testing kits and its often asymptotic nature, I would not be surprised if it's everywhere at this point.  

So, don't freak out if the case numbers drastically go up in the next few weeks. It just means the test kits are working now. 

Mudkipz 

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yes.  My wife and I agreed that the prudent thing would be to load up on cat food and keep at least 2 weeks supply of food in the house.  She works in the healthcare industry and has to be out and about so no matter what I do -- if the coronavirus is going to rear it's ugly head, I'll probably end up getting it even though I may have stayed at home.  We're prepared though.  For what, I don't know since she has to go out.

On a side note, Costco here has been going crazy.  People have made a run on the stores and they are literally sold out of water, tissues, ALL sterilizing products, and the like.  Folks are not waiting for government officials to declare an epidemic before they try to do something.  We are no different.  I had my wife get 3 weeks of cat food just in case.  I think we have 2 or 3 weeks of food at home -- just in case. There's no way we can completely eliminate the threat but there are things we can do like reduce our public contact.  And I must say, my hands have never been as clean for an extended period as they have been these last few days.

First, Dottles, GET A CAT!

I went to Costco on Sunday and it was busier than normal, but there was still tons of toilet paper, Kleenex, etc - but I did notice the Costco brand of TP was gone. 

Went to Home Depot later, and there was a couple wandering around with a box of latex gloves and asking the HD guy where face masks were.  I was like, "You're two weeks late on that one, buster!". 

But yeah, some folks are jumping in with both feet.

I have some stuff but it has nothing to do with the Mexican beer virus. Part of my crisis response training told us it’s hard to help other people when you are in need as well. I have a hand pump for my well so I can get safe water during an extended power outage. I have a generator but only 15 gallons of fuel so that is not going to last long in an extended outage. I have a supply of emergency food but not enough to live on for long. I planned to cook this stuff up to try it but it seemed so disgusting I decided to just save it as a last resort. It has a ten + year shelf life. If our power stays on I could probable last a month or so with what’s in the pantry and the freezers.

1 minute ago, Further said:

I've made no preparations. We have a few days worth of food, but I go to market pretty much every day. Might have to make some adjustments.

That is the issue in a nutshell - fresh food requires frequent visits to the market.  Greens certainly don't last long, nor do a lot of fruits.  We have canned stuff, but really spend a lot of our food budget on stuff from the produce section, and that's not easy to stockpile.

• Heart 1

Toilet paper...only by coincidence we're low right now.

Enough pasta for next few months.  There's only certain types of pasta I prefer...so I tend to buy when there are sales as time moves along. Freezer is getting low on frozen fruit which we use frozen fruit for compote. Canned food normally stocked anyway to complement certain dishes....which so far enough for only a few wks. 

Have to stockpile for winter...because we don't have a car...so it's buying whenever there's a sale, an opportunity to bring it home in batches or a few pieces here and there.  It's just part of habit for past few decades.

14 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I'm going to Costco in a few. Anything I can pick up? 

On my list:

• TP
  • Tillamook cheese
  • Tamales
  • Socks
  • 1 hot dog & soda

...last trip I made, they had some gourmet tamales all the way from Texas.  But they were almost gone, so they probably got them as a one time item and won't restock. :( 

17 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

On my list:

• TP
  • Tillamook cheese
  • Tamales
  • Socks
  • 1 hot dog & soda

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

You won't find toilet paper.  But if you have a detachable shower head, you're good.

I just got out of a department meeting and the head of facilities just indicated that TP & hand sanitizers are in short supply and they are having trouble tracking it down.  

I told them to centralize the TP, sanitizers & other disinfectants in secured areas as you know it’s gonna start walking away...

Just now, ChrisL said:

I just got out of a department meeting and the head of facilities just indicated that TP & hand sanitizers are in short supply and they are having trouble tracking it down.  

I told them to centralize the TP, sanitizers & other disinfectants in secured areas as you know it’s gonna start walking away...

Yep.  You can't find any of those items at any of the stores up here.  People are literally taking things into their own hands.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

On my list:

• TP
  • Tillamook cheese
  • Tamales
  • Socks
  • 1 hot dog & soda

How are the Costco tamales? I may get some. Wo7 and I are going Thursday night to see what’s left. We haven’t stocked up on much of anything, just usual stuff and we aren’t running low. Wo7 wants tp and Motrin like stuff. A package of nicotine gum for So7 who traded an addiction of dip to gum. 

20 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Our maintenance guy ordered 2 or 3 cases of TP like a month ago...took a long time to get it. :dontknow:. I have plenty at home

Is that really the extent of precaution your workplace is taking?  I'm guessing they already have a relatively strict anti-flu protocol in place, so that likely works well with the Coronavirus stuff too???