Tonight, I shall sin

12string

I gave up beer and wine for Lent.  Not anything to do with alcohol, it's more that I really enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner, a beer after a game....

We have been trying for over a year to get reservations at the #1 restaurant in the country.  Finally tonight.  During Lent.  I am granting myself a dispensation, I don't do THAT much that requires repentance.

• Heart 3

Oh, Scotch is still legal, but I prefer Bourbon.  It's just beer and wine.

But I refuse to pay restaurant prices for Bourbon, I can wait til I get home.

Going to Zahav, in Philly.  It's an Israeli restaurant, I'm thinking Old Testament, they don't do Lent, I'm probably good.

2 minutes ago, 12string said:

OK, it was still penance.  $87 for a bottle of wine.  A very good bottle, but - $87.

Yep.  I have a hard time buying wine at restuarants knowing I could get that $100 for around $25 or less.

My boss for some reason did not realize this.  Told me about this great wine he had at dinner, wanted to get it for gifts, so I found some to order.  He told me It was not the right wine, as it was not $100 or whatever per bottle....

I just assured him it was the same stuff....  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Not if you are repentant BEFORE you commit the sin.  It doesn't work that way.  Ok maybe it does...

Lent is more like prepentance.  So, if I'm good today, I'll be back where I was on Monday.  I've got almost 40 more days to catch up.  That extra hour Sunday will help.

2 hours ago, 12string said:

Lent is more like prepentance.  So, if I'm good today, I'll be back where I was on Monday.  I've got almost 40 more days to catch up.  That extra hour Sunday will help.

You lost me on this one. How is drinking wine/alcohol a sin?

Well..heads up @12string you lose an hour this weekend :whistle:  I like to think of lent as an opportunity to grow and improve myself...giving up something can be part of it..Our priest on Sunday said "some smokers give up smoking for lent...I think the greater sacrifice comes from the person or persons who live with the smoker" :P  I don't think God keeps a scorecard. 

As to expensive wine...yeah restaurants charge a fortune...I spent big bucks by my standards when I did the trip to Cali to meet Jaxie, Phoenix and @UglyBob...I think 3 bottles were $50 each..a couple were in the $25 to $35 range..at that was at the vineyard. But man it was smooth.

On 3/3/2020 at 4:46 PM, 12string said:

I gave up beer and wine for Lent.  Not anything to do with alcohol, it's more that I really enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner, a beer after a game....

We have been trying for over a year to get reservations at the #1 restaurant in the country.  Finally tonight.  During Lent.  I am granting myself a dispensation, I don't do THAT much that requires repentance.

Who knew Burger King took reservations or served alcohol😁