would you give this type of b-card to colleague at work

shootingstar

One of the dept. things we do, is buy a birthday card and circulate it around for people to sign.  There's 15 people.

So my turn is next to buy the card.  It's for a guy.  The front of the card has a cowboy on horse in a desert looking up at signage tacked onto cacti.  Cowboy still looks good with a beard with a healthy horse.The card front message says:

"Well it appears that you've come to a major crossroads".   Signage of cacti says:   Been there.  Done that.

Inside the card, the message is:  

Older than dirt, but still above it.   Happy Birthday.

Is that offensive?  He's a good guy, about in his early 50's or something.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, shootingstar said:

"Well it appears that you've come to a major crossroads".   Signage of cacti says:   Been there.  Done that.

Inside the card, the message is:  

Older than dirt, but still above it.   Happy Birthday.

As a 57 year old, I find this VERY offensive.  I demand you take it down.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Silly said:

As a 57 year old, I find this VERY offensive.  I demand you take it down.

As a 45 year old, I agree with the card.  I often feel older than dirt, spending most of Sunday barely able to move due to tendonitis flair up in my knees didn't help matters along with having trouble getting my coat on and off because of my shoulders.

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

As a 45 year old, I agree with the card.  I often feel older than dirt, spending most of Sunday barely able to move due to tendonitis flair up in my knees didn't help matters along with having trouble getting my coat on and off because of my shoulders.

You're contradiction of my feelings leaves me very offended.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

You're contradiction of my feelings leaves me very offended.

I would be offended if you were not offended.  Offending people is like my super power, it's all I got left.

51 minutes ago, Indy said:

Shut the front door

quietly please, I'm going to take a nap.

10 hours ago, Indy said:

Never knew you were that young.

I'm ancient @61. 

I would find the card funny and not be the least bit offended, but there is one guy at work who is really nice but sensitive about his age. I definitely would not get the card for him (or for someone I didn't know well).

• Heart 1

On 3/4/2020 at 6:38 PM, Kirby said:

I would find the card funny and not be the least bit offended, but there is one guy at work who is really nice but sensitive about his age. I definitely would not get the card for him (or for someone I didn't know well).

Well, guess what:   the card made its full cycle of card signing amongst 15 people.  One guy said :  "happy 60th".   I wonder if guys reveal their age more easily in the workplace, especially if they are in their late 50's onward.  Maybe the guy was trying to play a joke as part of the reveal. I dunno.

Wow.  I know for a fact, none of us females want to reveal our age.  The possibility of ageism is real.

Ok, this is the 2nd work colleague who is very close to my age which I learned of today.

5 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Guys don’t hide their age.  I still don’t understand why women do.  Do you really care if people know how old you are?

Not in the workplace, Zealot. Over the years (in a different dept.), I heard some perjorative things said about older workers...as if they were always abit behind, resistant to change and other stereotypes.

12 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Not in the workplace, Zealot. Over the years (in a different dept.), I heard some perjorative things said about older workers...as if they were always abit behind, resistant to change and other stereotypes.

The reality @shootingstar, is that for the vast majority of us the fact that we’re older is evident in our appearance.  Most people, I believe, aren’t naive enough to think that just because some don’t admit their age that it means they must be young.

Honestly, people say negative things about coworkers all the time. And it usually has little to do with their age.

And, maybe not so much a few years ago, but now I take some amount of pride in my age. I’ve lived an entire life to get here. ;-)

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Zealot said:

The reality @shootingstar, is that for the vast majority of us the fact that we’re older is evident in our appearance.  Most people, I believe, aren’t naive enough to think that just because some don’t admit their age that it means they must be young.

Honestly, people say negative things about coworkers all the time. And it usually has little to do with their age.

And, maybe not so much a few years ago, but now I take some amount of pride in my age. I’ve lived an entire life to get here. ;-)

Not disagreeing with you.  But I am relying on long time instinct...and it has helped me a lot ...to  survive. 

I don't pretend to be "younger" or hip at work.  I just need to stay sharp..which is important when teaching, dealing with multiple pressing priorities at a time and in contributing/running meetings.

I understand, @shootingstar.  Remaining competitive or viable in the work place is a common concern as we age.  

I don’t question that.  And you’re correct about ageism. It does exist. 

But ‘owning’ one's age IMHO, and remaining sharp is tantamount  to fighting the negative perceptions that exist. I’ve also noticed a trend in the marketplace, at least for my industry, that older employees are in demand due to their experience and knowledge levels. And I know this isn’t necessarily true in all industries. But I find it pretty encouraging.  

But my question was directed at the over all generalization that it’s somehow taboo or embarrassing for a woman to give her age, in any social setting.  I remember being told as a child that it was impolite to ask a woman’s age.

That’s  hogwash, in my opinion. And I love Dian Griesel’s site and the way she’s embracing living and aging:

https://silverdisobedience.rocks/birthdays/

Inspiring.  

Peace