So did you vote

jsharr

and if so, what were the lines like?

I did and the lines to get a ballot for one party were very, very, long and the lines for this other party were very, very short, or non existent even.   Biggest turn out I have seen in years, but for the past few years I have voted early or if I did vote on election day I went around 9 am and did not see much off a line for either party.

Most elections here, the lines for the parties are different and the long line is usually for the party that had no lines last night.

17 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I did and the lines to get a ballot for one party were very, very, long and the lines for this other party were very, very short, or non existent even.   Biggest turn out I have seen in years, but for the past few years I have voted early or if I did vote on election day I went around 9 am and did not see much off a line for either party.

Most elections here, the lines for the parties are different and the long line is usually for the party that had no lines last night.

Yep. Super fast (only one thing to vote for).  In and out in five minutes.   No Republican primary in VA this year. Just the Democrat one.  

FTR, why would there be any line for a Republican primary this year? Sure, there are a couple randoms in mix, but lines shouldn't be an issue.

11 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Cryptic.

Really?  As if you cannot tell what party I support.  I am a gun toting, at one time truck driving, NRA member, BSA member, multi generation Texican cretin....

I just did not want to start a political post, but wanted to know what turn out was like in your nape of the neck of the woods.

So in these primaries....., do you have to be a card carrying party member to vote for a delegate in that party?

Any idea what the percentage of American citizens carry a card from one party or another.  And what is the percentage of voters on election day in November have a party card in their pocket?

7 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

So in these primaries....., do you have to be a card carrying party member to vote for a delegate in that party?

Any idea what the percentage of American citizens carry a card from one party or another.  And what is the percentage of voters on election day in November have a party card in their pocket?

You are on the voter rolls.  You show ID, they look you up to verify you can vote at that polling location and hand you ballot to feed into the machine to record your votes.  You can vote for whatever party you choose to,  but you have to get a democratic or republican ballot.

When you register to vote in Texas you do not show any party affiliation.  Here is how it works in Texas

https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/laws/advisory2020-05.shtml

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

In most states only registered party members can vote in that partys primary.  There are a couple that let you pick whichever one you want to vote in but not both.

No party card (your papers pleeze).  We just register as a party member of any party or as an unaffiliated voter.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

In most states only registered party members can vote in that partys primary.  There are a couple that let you pick whichever one you want to vote in but not both.

No party card (your papers pleeze).  We just register as a party member of any party or as an unaffiliated voter.

Our state actually has you define what your party affiliation is on the outside of the ballot on the envelope. I guess they do that because it's easier to detect fraud? Maybe but I don't like it.

23 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Parties are for losers!

But, some states have "closed" primaries so only members can vote in their primaries.  Not so in Virginia (and almost half the other states):

Virginia’s is an open primary — meaning any registered voter can cast a ballot regardless of their party registration.

The Virginia Republican Party has notified the Virginia Department of Elections it will not hold a primary on March 3. President Donald Trump is running for reelection and is expected to be officially selected as the state party’s nominee at a party convention.

Democratic and Republican primaries to select candidates for the U.S. House and Senate are set to take place June 9, 2020.

So in the open States.... hypothetically speaking......

Lets say I am a hard core republican and there is no primary as we have a sitring Pres.  I could theoretically go vote in the democratic primary to vote for candidate Dofus, because I know my guy can beat him in Nov, hoping candidate Dofus beats candidate Topgun because I know Topgun will kick my guys ass in Nov.

Does that ever happen?  Seems like something I would do if I was politically motivated.  (I am  not, btw.  I just don't like not knowing stuff, or understanding how something works)

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Lets say I am a hard core republican and there is no primary as we have a sitring Pres.  I could theoretically go vote in the democratic primary to vote for candidate Dofus, because I know my guy can beat him in Nov, hoping candidate Dofus beats candidate Topgun because I know Topgun will kick my guys ass in Nov.

Does that ever happen?  Seems like something I would do if I was politically motivated.  (I am  not, btw.  I just don't like not knowing stuff, or understanding how something works)

Could and does it happen? Sure.

Does it have an impact? Unlikely. I've never seen anything that suggested it worked on the national level. Perhaps for local stuff.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I've thought about this. Per what you said, why not vote the dofus in to lose, or the opposite if you don't like the standing prez. Seems like it could work in theory.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Yes.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

In Texas your party affiliation renews each year based on how you vote the first time you vote.  If you vote Democrat in a primary, you may only vote democrat in runoffs, etc.  Next year, you start with a clean slate and choose a party.

11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Yes.  It's why they changed the primary voting.  But I call bullshit on spelling out which party I belong to on the outside of the ballot on an envelope.  That doesn't adhere to the secret ballot thing.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Yes.  It's why they changed the primary voting.  But I call bullshit on spelling out which party I belong to on the outside of the ballot on an envelope.  That doesn't adhere to the secret ballot thing.

Makes it easier to weed out the Republicans in Chicago though.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

In Michigan it is open.  And this has happened in the past.  I have known several Dems that have purposely voted on Republican side of the primary in an attempt to help sway the other party's election.  I'm am sure it has happened the other way around in the past and am equally sure it will happen again on Tuesday.

Coming from a state that required you to declare your party affiliation long before the primary, I never understood the open primary concept.

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

No.  And I likely won't vote until November, if I do.  I'm not a member of a party here in NY so I won't vote in a Primary.  

Even though I am not a party member I can vote as long as I declare one party for that primary. But it was a quick turnaround and I missed it. And I didnt care for the mail ballot format. And I don't care. 

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Even though I am not a party member I can vote as long as I declare one party for that primary.

The last I checked in NY, you have to be a party member a few months previous to the vote.  I just refuse to join a party at this point as most of them are run by windbag asshats.

Mudkipz

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, jsharr said:

I mailed my Texas ballot in weeks ago. Along with all the others.🙂

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

I don't understand why I can not wear my helmet when voting.. I tried it is a religion thing, and also the Dr told me if I bumped my head one more time I would crap my pants... They don't buy it any time I try and vote.