Bordering on the edge of comprehension

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

My daughter went to a meditation class.  Towards the end of the class two different people approached her at separate times and asked if she and her mother were close, to which she answered 'Yes.'  They both said that there was a 'strong motherly presence' near my daughter in the form of a lady in her 40's.  This lady seemed very happy, but was so active and making so much noise demanding attention that both of these people said she made it difficult to meditate.  One person asked if it was some sort of event or anniversary today, and my daughter replied it was her grandmother's birthday today -

And that her grandmother died just over two years ago. 

I hear that some people sense these sort of things, and there's that Long Island Medium TV show.  I tend not to put much credence into such things, but...

I am skeptical, but I will say this:  This.

Actually, what I was going to say was that I held a summer job (for two summers) at Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world and far and away the best amusement park in the galaxy.  I was an age, weight, and birthday guesser, if I guessed the age within two years, the weight within three pounds, or the birthday month within two months, then you won no prize.  

The age you get good at, you read the clues as best you can, the weight is similar, you got pretty good after a while.  The birthday month was interesting, though.  It is really a 5 to 7 shot you got it wrong, but it turned out that I guessed well more than half correctly.  The other guessers discussed this and they also said a disproportionate number were guessed correctly.  Sometimes you talked to someone and absolutely knew what month they were born in, it was very strange.

I am skeptical, but I will say this:  This.

Actually, what I was going to say was that I held a summer job (for two summers) at Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world and far and away the best amusement park in the galaxy.  I was an age, weight, and birthday guesser, if I guessed the age within two years, the weight within three pounds, or the birthday month within two months, then you won no prize.  

The age you get good at, you read the clues as best you can, the weight is similar, you got pretty good after a while.  The birthday month was interesting, though.  It is really a 5 to 7 shot you got it wrong, but it turned out that I guessed well more than half correctly.  The other guessers discussed this and they also said a disproportionate number were guessed correctly.  Sometimes you talked to someone and absolutely knew what month they were born in, it was very strange.

did you stay in the red dorms? I worked at the boathouse restaurant for two summers! I made a killing in tips!

OK. Your daughter said "Yes" and they had an answer. If she had said "No" they also would have an answer.

Some sort of event or anniversary? Count up the number of friends and relatives plus the number of 'events' and anniversaries. It's probably pretty predictable that someone is having some sort of event or anniversary.

Nothing but a 'cold reading'. Nice parlor trick that shouldn't be taken seriously.

A week ago, while I was out cycling, I met a truck driver with a broken down rig when I stopped at a brake check for a bit of water. The truck driver's brother was on a cross-Canada fundraising bike tour and the day before, some friends of mine had joined his group for the day. As I talked with the driver a bit more, I realized we know quite a lot of the same people, even though we do not live anywhere near each other and at the time, we were both a good distance from home. Coincidence? Sure. Still, the number of connections seemed a little odd.

OK. Your daughter said "Yes" and they had an answer. If she had said "No" they also would have an answer.

Some sort of event or anniversary? Count up the number of friends and relatives plus the number of 'events' and anniversaries. It's probably pretty predictable that someone is having some sort of event or anniversary.

Nothing but a 'cold reading'. Nice parlor trick that shouldn't be taken seriously.

"Two separate people" is also easily managed if the target has no personal history with either.  However, I have friends in the faith community who can "read mail" as it's called.  They are deeply involved with intercessory prayer, dream prophetic images about others, and are able to name events in others' lives without previous conversation.  <shrug>   

• 4 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 8:43 PM, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

My daughter went to a meditation class.  Towards the end of the class two different people approached her at separate times and asked if she and her mother were close, to which she answered 'Yes.'  They both said that there was a 'strong motherly presence' near my daughter in the form of a lady in her 40's.  This lady seemed very happy, but was so active and making so much noise demanding attention that both of these people said she made it difficult to meditate.  One person asked if it was some sort of event or anniversary today, and my daughter replied it was her grandmother's birthday today -

And that her grandmother died just over two years ago. 

I hear that some people sense these sort of things, and there's that Long Island Medium TV show.  I tend not to put much credence into such things, but...

But. . . you'd perhaps credit this whilst not for a second contemplate a mathematical theory regarding the building of Stonehenge. Interesting.

It is very easy...even tempting, to scoff at experiences such as this, but to do so supposes that you know all there is to know about the human experience. I would question that assertion, and while my training and education would lead me to dismiss such things, I have experienced things for which I have no explanation and cannot be explained by the "cold reading" theory. I certainly don't regard myself as a naive or credulous person, and I'm very aware of how such experiences are regarded by those who have no experience of such things.