Vacation time dilemma

Dottleshead

I get 4 weeks of vacation and my wife gets 2 but because she works for a hospital and all their ridiculous rules, she is probably only going to get one as she must first burn her vacation days to cover medical appointments and such. So that leaves me with 3 weeks of Dottles time. If I leave town, my wife is going to be pissed but if I am house bound for 3 weeks -- I'm going to be pissed. How should I spend my 3 weeks? Bicycle days?

23 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I get 4 weeks of vacation and my wife gets 2 but because she works for a hospital and all their ridiculous rules, she is probably only going to get one as she must first burn her vacation days to cover medical appointments and such. So that leaves me with 3 weeks of Dottles time. If I leave town, my wife is going to be pissed but if I am house bound for 3 weeks -- I'm going to be pissed. How should I spend my 3 weeks? Bicycle days?

Bikepacking in National Parks?  Sort of credit card touring.  Take bike and tent and some clothes.  Eat at local spots for dinner.  Pocket food for breakfast and lunch?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Bikepacking in National Parks?  Sort of credit card touring.  Take bike and tent and some clothes.  Eat at local spots for dinner.  Pocket food for breakfast and lunch?

I have hiked in all 3 national parks and backpacked in only one.  But in order to backpack in the others comfortably, I would need to wait until late July to do so.  And those parks are the most remotest and farthest from civilization -- questionable for a 53 with heart disease to be doing on his own.  Hell, questionable for anyone to be doing on there own.  So if I want to take a week off now -- and I do -- then backpacking is out.  That does leave bike riding available and do credit card touring -- but I haven't been touring much and the places I would want to go would be to ride over the passes into central Washington. Now that would be fun.  I've ridden over Snoqualmie Pass in stages but that was on a gravel trail and gravel sucks.  Stevens would be the pass I'd want to do but there's not a lot of shoulder room on that pass and plenty of asshat drivers.  Either way, I'd have to wait until late May when all the snow melts.  I could, however, attempt to ride around the Olympic Peninsula -- an entire land base ravaged by logging -- at least on one side of the highway.  Since I am out of bicycling shape, that means I could possibly take the e-bike with me but it'd require careful planning for battery charges.  And even that sounds like a PITA.  Everywhere else around here I've pretty much ridden.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I have hiked in all 3 national parks and backpacked in only one.  But in order to backpack in the others comfortably, I would need to wait until late July to do so.  And those parks are the most remotest and farthest from civilization -- questionable for a 53 with heart disease to be doing on his own.  Hell, questionable for anyone to be doing on there own.  So if I want to take a week off now -- and I do -- then backpacking is out.  That does leave bike riding available and do credit card touring -- but I haven't been touring much and the places I would want to go would be to ride over the passes into central Washington. Now that would be fun.  I've ridden over Snoqualmie Pass in stages but that was on a gravel trail and gravel sucks.  Stevens would be the pass I'd want to do but there's not a lot of shoulder room on that pass and plenty of asshat drivers.  Either way, I'd have to wait until late May when all the snow melts.  I could, however, attempt to ride around the Olympic Peninsula -- an entire land base ravaged by logging -- at least on one side of the highway.  Since I am out of bicycling shape, that means I could possibly take the e-bike with me but it'd require careful planning for battery charges.  And even that sounds like a PITA.  Everywhere else around here I've pretty much ridden.

Rent an e bike.  Bike packing.  Not back packing.  E bike, tents, panniers.  Camp at campgrounds with showers and charging for the e bike.

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

But that doesn't mean I shouldn't revisit some places.  I can easily extend a 77 mile trip I did before I moved 25 miles up the path and extend that another 50 miles north to the border of Canada.  That sounds good.  But I could be distracted looking for Wilbur.

I hear @Wilbur is a pig and very touchy.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I hear @Wilbur is a pig and very touchy.

Truth be told, what I want to do is ride my bike across the pass, up the Columbia, and into Okanagan country and sneak across into the Canadian Okanagan country.  At which point I would look for Bikepacker airing out his balls on the bank of Lake Osoyoos -- only to ask for directions to Wilbur's cabin.  That is -- if he hasn't blown himself up yet.

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Truth be told, what I want to do is ride my bike across the pass, up the Columbia, and into Okanagan country and sneak across into the Canadian Okanagan country.  At which point I would look for Bikepacker airing out his balls on the bank of Lake Osoyoos -- only to ask for directions to Wilbur's cabin.  That is -- if he hasn't blown himself up yet.

Ogopogo would eat you for dinner and then wake up Mrs. Ogopogo to apologize for the stench you caused at 3 am the next morning.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

WOChrisL and I have similar issues.  I tend to plan fun day trips, go fishing, ride & etc. I have to get out of the house too but some days I do stay home and binge watch movies.

She has never had the vacay time I have and we usually burn hers visiting family.

• Heart 1

I don't get any vacation (okay, I'm a contractor so I actually get as much as I want if I don't want paid for it, I like getting paid though) so I work while my wife is on vacation.

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

Do it before any threat of wildfire in the area.  Not that it happens every year.

In the summer, it can get hot and dry in wine/vineyard country.  

Is there anything you enjoy that she doesn't, such as camping?  If  you go on a trip that she doesn't like, she won't be as annoyed.  Any relatives you should visit that she doesn't like?  Any charity based trips that might be rewarding but not something she cares deeply about ?

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Any charity based trips that might be rewarding but not something she cares deeply about ?

Like go visit @Page Turner and make sure he and the misses are ok? California is going to overrun us with covid-19 so I could check up on him from a 6 foot radius. Maybe poke at his fruit trees from the sidewalk.

9 hours ago, Dottles said:

and sneak across into the Canadian Okanagan country. 

Before you sneak accidently cross the border, at a minimum have some ID with you.  If you are apprehended by the Canadian bored patrol (yes, they do that too) you won’t have to worry about where to spend you vacation time.  You will get to tour the detention cells in Canada for several days.

Or…   can’t your wife be sick (that maybe an easy sell) and stay home with you, maybe in Hawaii for a week?

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

Before you sneak accidently cross the border, at a minimum have some ID with you.  If you are apprehended by the Canadian bored patrol (yes, they do that too) you won’t have to worry about where to spend you vacation time.  You will get to tour the detention cells in Canada for several days.

Or…   can’t your wife be sick (that maybe an easy sell) and stay home with you, maybe in Hawaii for a week?

Yeah, I'm already banned from that country.  Their Prime Minister considers me a threat to society.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

How can anyone even talk about going on cruise ship for the next few months?

...that was exactly what I said to my wife when I heard that the 2500 people stuck on the Princess cruise ship out of San Francisco here only got on the thing Feb 21st.  Which is well after they started quarantining the ones over in Asia..