Creamed chipped beef

Airehead

I am really wanting cream chip beef on toast.  I can make a white sauce no issue but I have no idea about what beef to use. Do you have a recommendation?  I haven’t had chipped beef probably since the 70’s when I ate it with my grandfather and felt special.

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am really wanting cream chip beef on toast.  I can make a white sauce no issue but I have no idea about what beef to use. Do you have a recommendation?  I haven’t had chipped beef probably since the 70’s when I ate it with my grandfather and felt special.

You can use any dried beef however Buddig beef works perfect for this recipe.  It is available in most grocery stores and is not quite as salty or dry as some of the other brands of dried beef. You will find it with the other prepackaged luncheon meats

https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/

On the other hand, in the navy we had something they called creamed dried beef.  It was more like the sausage gravy that is served on biscuits down south.  IMO it was hamburger in the same creme sauce with quite a bit of pepper.  I loved it as a working breakfast on top of home fries with scrambled eggs, sausage links, toast w jelly, juice, coffee and sometimes a bit of fruit.

Note.  You do not eat a lunch after having this breakfast, you work all day.

• Heart 4

Once I was looking for Esskay Creamed Chipped Beef in a refrigerated bag that's often found hanging on a hook in some corner of the meat sections of the supermarket and it turned out to be Esskay Chipped Beef.  If I was going to go to the trouble of making the Bechamel (White) Sauce myself, thats' where I'd look.

You can get Esskay Creamed Chipped Beef in a refrigerated bag that's good and Stouffer's in a frozen bag-in-a-box that's very good.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

No one in my family will touch the stuff so when I get an occasional urge I just buy this and fake it.  It's actually pretty good, but I suspect the salt content is sort of high.  It's in a bag that you either microwave or boil.  I recommend boiling.

2645652a-7797-4dc5-a569-409240b10c8e_1.8383844259aab63581b8b86311d99827.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

Whew, that has about 3 days of sodium in it for me. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

You can use any dried beef however Buddig beef works perfect for this recipe.  It is available in most grocery stores and is not quite as salty or dry as some of the other brands of dried beef. You will find it with the other prepackaged luncheon meats

https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/

On the other hand, in the navy we had something they called creamed dried beef.  It was more like the sausage gravy that is served on biscuits down south.  IMO it was hamburger in the same creme sauce with quite a bit of pepper.  I loved it as a working breakfast on top of home fries with scrambled eggs, sausage links, toast w jelly, juice, coffee and sometimes a bit of fruit.

Note.  You do not eat a lunch after having this breakfast, you work all day.

That was my go to bfast in the Army too.  I’d slam some powdered eggs on top and plow it down.

Yeah I never felt hungry mid day with that Bfast.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, 2Far said:

Whew, that has about 3 days of sodium in it for me. 

The entire container has 1350 mg Na, which is about 60% the current "recommended" amount, though a recent study claimed those consuming less than 3500 to 5000 mg do not live as long as those who do.

• Heart 1

On 3/5/2020 at 7:03 PM, maddmaxx said:

I recommend boiling.

I draw the line of things I won’t eat well before boiled toast.

On 3/5/2020 at 11:44 PM, MickinMD said:

a recent study claimed those consuming less than 3500 to 5000 mg do not live as long as those who do.

Which can also be interpreted as “people placed on a cardiac, low-salt diet die before people not requiring one”.

• Haha 1