Do you always carry protection?

KrAzY

I don't always but I might start soon! A few times it started raining and I was out and about without an umbrella. I think a nice one that also acts like a walking cane can really make my outfit loot more impressive. 

90% of the time I am.

yesterday I carried the wife's little 380 in my cargo pocket.  We were at a baseball tournament and those people get nuts!  The only problem is that it's pink.  Not sure I could shoot straight with a pink gun.

• Heart 1

90% of the time I am.

yesterday I carried the wife's little 380 in my cargo pocket.  We were at a baseball tournament and those people get nuts!  The only problem is that it's pink.  Not sure I could shoot straight with a pink gun.

Even without the pink gun do you shoot strait? Just be happy she did not bedazzle it! 

I've never even touched a gun, never mind carried one.  I am not for nor against them, but I hear a lot of reports on the radio that owning / carrying a gun is more dangerous than not.

A simple Google search found tons of evidence to support this.

Here is one such article:

Packing heat may backfire. People who carry guns are far likelier to get shot – and killed – than those who are unarmed, a study of shooting victims in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has found.

Even without the pink gun do you shoot strait? Just be happy she did not bedazzle it! 

I usetacould shoot straight when I was in the Navy.  I must admit that I don't put near as much lead downrange now as I used to.  I think I could still manage to hit center mass at 25 yrds if the situation required.  Of course that is with my sig .45.  Not sure about the 380.  It is a short barrel, much more squirrely.  At the 7 rd range I could shoot a decent looking group with it, but I was dropping rounds about 8 inches, and that was only at 7 yrds!  And then we went and had it duracoated in pink so god only knows how it shoots now? 

But I guess that question was "can you shoot straight?"  You never asked if I can shoot accurate, so I guess that the answer is yes I can shoot straight.

I've never even touched a gun, never mind carried one.  I am not for nor against them, but I hear a lot of reports on the radio that owning / carrying a gun is more dangerous than not.

Packing heat may backfire. People who carry guns are far likelier to get shot – and killed – than those who are unarmed, a study of shooting victims in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has found.

Here we go...

There are dipshits in all walks of life.  If you are a dipshit and you carry a gun, then you are probably going to pull it out at the wrong time and get your dipshit ass shot off.  Or in being a dipshit then you going to manage to shoot your own dipshit ass when you are taking selfies with your loaded gun for instagram. 

If you are like me ( a non-dipshit) then you respect guns.  You have trained with them and know what they are capable of.  Instead of letting your kids grow up with a curiosity of the unknown you let your kids handle them teaching them proper techniques and respect.  You go to the range with your wife and kids and make sure that they know all of the safety rules.  And you keep all guns in the house locked up, especially when other kids are over to play. 

I was raised by a cop with guns in the house and that education was furthered in the military.  I would take this pro-active approach about guns any day over never have ever fired a gun.  But that's just me.

Here we go...

I agree, but...

Imagine you didn't care about guns one way or the other, like me.  If people want to legally own 500 guns great, if people are opposed to them, great.  I really don't care either way.

So, let's say I was going to research carrying a gun with me and I found an amazingly overwhelming amount of evidence saying it's more likely I'll be shot or killed than if I didn't carry one, why would I want to carry one?  For protection?  From what, living?

As I've said, I've never touched a gun.  No reason to, no one I grew up with ever did.  What are the chances a gun owner will injure / kill themselves with a gun?  Small I agree.  What are the odds I'll injure / kill myself with a gun.  0

Just sayin.

• Heart 1

I agree, but...

Imagine you didn't care about guns one way or the other, like me.  If people want to legally own 500 guns great, if people are opposed to them, great.  I really don't care either way.

So, let's say I was going to research carrying a gun with me and I found an amazingly overwhelming amount of evidence saying it's more likely I'll be shot or killed than if I didn't carry one, why would I want to carry one?  For protection?  From what, living?

As I've said, I've never touched a gun.  No reason to, no one I grew up with ever did.  What are the chances a gun owner will injure / kill themselves with a gun?  Small I agree.  What are the odds I'll injure / kill myself with a gun.  0

Just sayin.

hard to argue that. 

I don't have previous military history. I have parents and family whom used firearms for sport, target with occasional hunting. So I grew up around long guns as a means for enjoyment. We had a 200yd range on my grandfathers 100+ acres in Michigan. We shot the holy out of quite a few wood stack backed targets.

In my line of work I carry items of relative small size and high value. I am transporting a diamond ring to another store today worth the price of a new Land Rover. A means of defense is apt.

I am NRA certified instructor and can say quite honestly about half the people I have had in my classes, when I actually have the time and gumption to hold one, have serious concerns for their safety. The other half has misconceptions on what they can/can't do to "cowboy up" and protect themselves. Once they leave my class though I believe they have a more through understanding of proper etiquette and respect.

If I were to do a Google search on if I should vaccinate my children or not I could find compelling articles why I shouldn't too. Hell that's a lopsided corollary. Use bicycle riding: If I went to just a forums, say one with square wheels, to see if I should ride a bike. A healthy percentage of just one meager forum has been violently struck down while riding a bicycle. Should I never ride a bike? Hide all pedal powered items from my view!

Opinions are everywhere and I think we all have a healthy respect for each others here. Don't buy one or carry one if you so choose. That's your right as fine and dandy as mine is to carry.

Oh and P8, with my NAA 22 mag I can shoot a bounced golf ball with mine off my back porch easily and it has a 1.55" barrel. With my carry 380 I can shoot accurately and confidently within 10yds. As a carry piece shouldn't need to be fired beyond that range anyways. Course it took a few hundred rounds to get there.

• Heart 1

I've never even touched a gun, never mind carried one. I am not for nor against them, but I hear a lot of reports on the radio that owning / carrying a gun is more dangerous than not.

Packing heat may backfire. People who carry guns are far likelier to get shot – and killed – than those who are unarmed, a study of shooting victims in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has found.

I know you aren't funny, but I thought you were smarter than this.

What a bunch of bullshit.

Hmmmm this went from carrying an umbrella to guns in no time...

anywho. I was raised around guns and started shooting when I was my sons age. At 8 years old I was taking out groundhogs and varmints with a .22 long rifle. I told my son next time we go to grandma/papa's house we will lay down some lead if he wants to learn.. His response was "maybe I should be older, I don't want to hurt anyone or shoot myself." I asked him how old should he be, and his response was 12 years old.

if that is how he feels, them in all for it, but I'm waiting on the day to see his face after trying it... I just don't know if I'm going to see a happy face or a face when he needs to change his underwear.

Bad analogies are just that.

The comment was about carrying a gun.  I only commented on carrying a gun.  I didn't try to compare it to anything else.

If you want to carry 15 guns on you at all times and it's legal to do so, then by all means have a ball.

For me, I see no value in it.  I think there is overwhelming evidence that carrying a gun is more likely to cause harm than to protect you.

Have you ever heard of someone who wasn't handling a gun injure themselves with said gun?

I am not against guns, not at all.  They just aren't for me.

• Heart 1

I don't have previous military history. I have parents and family whom used firearms for sport, target with occasional hunting. So I grew up around long guns as a means for enjoyment. We had a 200yd range on my grandfathers 100+ acres in Michigan. We shot the holy out of quite a few wood stack backed targets.

In my line of work I carry items of relative small size and high value. I am transporting a diamond ring to another store today worth the price of a new Land Rover. A means of defense is apt.

I am NRA certified instructor and can say quite honestly about half the people I have had in my classes, when I actually have the time and gumption to hold one, have serious concerns for their safety. The other half has misconceptions on what they can/can't do to "cowboy up" and protect themselves. Once they leave my class though I believe they have a more through understanding of proper etiquette and respect.

If I were to do a Google search on if I should vaccinate my children or not I could find compelling articles why I shouldn't too. Hell that's a lopsided corollary. Use bicycle riding: If I went to just a forums, say one with square wheels, to see if I should ride a bike. A healthy percentage of just one meager forum has been violently struck down while riding a bicycle. Should I never ride a bike? Hide all pedal powered items from my view!

Opinions are everywhere and I think we all have a healthy respect for each others here. Don't buy one or carry one if you so choose. That's your right as fine and dandy as mine is to carry.

Oh and P8, with my NAA 22 mag I can shoot a bounced golf ball with mine off my back porch easily and it has a 1.55" barrel. With my carry 380 I can shoot accurately and confidently within 10yds. As a carry piece shouldn't need to be fired beyond that range anyways. Course it took a few hundred rounds to get there.

I'll admit that i  have only put about 50 rounds through the 380.  Far, far more through my .45.  I can shoot confidently and accurately with it.  The 380 is the wife's and I am pretty confident that she can hit center mass at 7 yrds which is probably farther out than she will ever have to fire it in defense.  At least I know that she safely knows how to load/unload, chamber a round, fire it and change mags safely and proficiently. 

• Heart 1

That is all you should have said, unless you were trying to stir up some shit.

Maybe you were making a joke. It's hard to tell sometimes.

I was not making a joke, nor trying to stir things up.  I just wanted to point out another side of how some people view guns.  They honestly scare me, but again, I am 100% behind peoples rights to own as many as they want to.

Warning points for SW?   :(

We have no moderators.  No one ever wanted the thankless job, so I guess I am safe.  Plus you need to work really hard to get warning points.

I was not making a joke, nor trying to stir things up.  I just wanted to point out another side of how some people view guns.  They honestly scare me, but again, I am 100% behind peoples rights to own as many as they want to.

We have no moderators.  No one ever wanted the thankless job, so I guess I am safe.  Plus you need to work really hard to get warning points.

I've mentioned several times I would be more than happy to be a moderator here.

Couch

• Heart 2

Hey, that's just my irrational Liberal thinking.  Don't expect me to make sense of my requests, just follow through on them SW.

Couch

Give him mod powers, let him ban himself and then strip him of his powers in a de facto sort of way!  Problem solved.  I however, will not ban me.  I will ban Couch and release Charlie Fart from prison.

Funny you should ask:  We needed umbrellas on a recent hike along the crest of the mountains east of town a few days ago.  The things is that we tell everyone who visits to bring along jackets because the temps at the crest are often 30 degrees cooler than in town, but we didn't even follow our own knowledge this time.  So, we hiked the mile and a quarter from the crest house to the tram house, and a few pea sized pieces of hail fell around us.  mr. thought we could easily make it back the other direction, especially if it was just rain and a little hail.  Well, it wasn't just a little hail.  The pieces grew in size and fell fast and hard. I was wearing a wide-brimmed hat, so my head and face were protected, but my shoulders and arms took a beating.  Once the pieces hit the dog square on top of his head, he refused to move afterward.  mr. dragged him a little on his leash, but ended up picking him up and carrying him.  We stopped for a little shelter beneath a tree, but a bolt of lightning struck nearby, so we continued on at a more rapid pace, nearly running.  That was the only lightning we saw, thankfully.  With half a mile to go, the rain and hail stopped, but the trail was slick with mud and run-off.  We put the dog back down to walk on his own, and his legs are so short his underbelly soon became caked in mud and debris.  We saw quite a few other people caught in the shower, and at one point I said to a guy who was sheltering beneath a stand of trees, "My kingdom for an umbrella."   

• Heart 2