Wegmans is rationing

Airehead

Our largest grocery chain and local Costco stores have started to ration cleaning supplies.

According to a press release on their website, Wegmans is limiting the following:

• Hand sanitizer
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Alcohol wipes
  • Prep pads
  • Hydrogen peroxide

Customers are only allowed to purchase three of these items per order.

Okay...that did it....  I went out and bought a box of 40 Mucinex...with a 2022 expiration date....Some Raspberry Jelly that doesn't expire til May of 2021...2 cans of tuna and 2 boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese....cos even if you are on your death bed you can make a box o mac & cheese pretty dang easy!

We had our first diagnosed case today.

• Heart 3

When I was picking up a prescription on Monday the pharmacy was emptying these big bins near the checkout so they could fill them with hand sanitizer. The stores still have the disinfectant wipes for wiping down the shopping carts. I see more people using them now. My oncologist told me long ago I needed to use those on the cart handles, if they don’t supply them bring my own. I’ve done well except for two bouts of pneumonia a couple years ago.

• Hugs 1

39 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Okay...that did it....  I went out and bought a box of 40 Mucinex...with a 2022 expiration date....Some Raspberry Jelly that doesn't expire til May of 2021...2 cans of tuna and 2 boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese....cos even if you are on your death bed you can make a box o mac & cheese pretty dang easy!

We had our first diagnosed case today.

We?  At your workplace? Or in your city? State?

State @BuffJim  State....

Hell we don't need no stinking virus at work...4 dead in basically 3 weeks...although 1 was in hospice (off site) a week (3 of the 4 were with the same hospice group for care in the building)...The 4 was in Arizona... a recluse with lots of anxiety in her 90's...her son brought her to AZ to be closer to him (for his work)...just heard she died on Monday, Don died on Saturday Night...Dick the previous Sunday and Margaret :dontknow: one day the week before....

• Sad 2

I hope their just keeping the panicked from buying 25 of each one rather than a shortage.

In any case, after I move into my apartment Tuesday, I'm going to stock up on canned soups, ravioli, chicken alfredo, and 12-packs of Ramen Noodles, just in case there's a temporary shipping problem in the places they are made.

I'm still hoping this one follows the past coronaviruses and virtually disappears when warm weather comes.

• Heart 2

my neighbor works at Costco. I was in early in the week & there was zero TP. I asked him if he had a hookup on TP for me. He laughed. He said they are rationing TP. They have had 3 restocks and they are gone in a day. It's a feeding frenzy. I was in Target today. I should have checked their supply

I bought one extra thing of TP.  We are good for about 2 months.  My husband said there was less TP than normal, but there was still plenty to go around.  Our town is usually behind the curb on news, so I expect panic to ramp soon.  

Food shelves look normal.  We slightly stocked up, but not intensely.  We can hunker down for well over a month now.  My husband bought one package of flu remedies (Nyquil and Dayquil) and a cough medicine, so we have that here if we do fall ill.  We have a bag of cough drops here. too  Simple supplies, but enough to last through this.  I think it will slow down in May/June.  Things will normalize.  Stores will get restocked and continue rationing to protect the herd.  

6 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

@Scrapr Order "Who gives a crap".I ordered a case..and should be good thru October or so...

You order that?  I was wondering who would buy that.  Is,'t it pretty expensive?  I looked into it, and thought the additional packaging of the cardboard box and single home delivery was no better for the planet than just getting the normal stuff I buy in a big plastic bag and reusing that plastic bag for a garbage bag.  

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You order that?  I was wondering who would buy that.  Is,'t it pretty expensive?  I looked into it, and thought the additional packaging of the cardboard box and single home delivery was no better for the planet than just getting the normal stuff I buy in a big plastic bag and reusing that plastic bag for a garbage bag.  

I used some this summer and placed my order this fall..I was using Scott which use to be pretty good..but it got so thin.:wacko: So..yeah I ordered a case....a roll lasts about a week...5 to 6 days..Will I order a second case...time will tell.

I order paper towels and toilet paper on a regular basis through Amazon, we’re always oversupplied. I could probably start selling it out of my garage. Cat food, too. But I haven’t tried to stock up on anything.

My wife developed cold symptoms, the day after someone in her office was diagnosed with the flu. So we got Zicam and some flu medicine, but she’s getting better and I haven’t gotten anything of significance. I’m more concerned now about the norovirus outbreak at work this week that had half the people with vomiting and diarrhea. Others were donning gloves to do computer work. 🤦‍♂️.

I can’t get sick. I’m scheduled to work every day, all month, including weekends, at two offices. I think my next day off is 4/18.

10 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I used some this summer and placed my order this fall..I was using Scott which use to be pretty good..but it got so thin.:wacko: So..yeah I ordered a case....a roll lasts about a week...5 to 6 days..Will I order a second case...time will tell.

Sometimes these companies have excellent first time order savings.  I did a small order with Grove and took the free items and stocked up on some auto dish soap.  It gave me some nice spray bottles that I will reuse to fill with homemade sprays, and a metal caddy that I am painting to look beautiful and will refill with a Christmas gift for a friend,  It was a great deal.  I won't repurchase from them. 

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I haven’t bought any TP this year. I use a specially treated wet wipe for hospice patients on my sweetie and hospice provides those. A roll of TP lasts me a long time taking one dump a day. Before my wife was bedridden I couldn’t believe how much paper we went through. I can see why now it’s my job. I know TMI, I wouldn’t want this job if it was anyone else. Nurses, LPNs, and aids are awesome people.

Some do this with a smile on their face as they are getting yelled at by a patient with dementia.  

• Awesome 1

18 hours ago, Scrapr said:

my neighbor works at Costco. I was in early in the week & there was zero TP. I asked him if he had a hookup on TP for me. He laughed. He said they are rationing TP. They have had 3 restocks and they are gone in a day. It's a feeding frenzy. I was in Target today. I should have checked their supply

Went to Costco with my niece today and they were limiting TP and water and paper towels to 2 per person.  Lots of food items like tuna fish had "limit 5" and the 25# bags of rice were limit 2.  It was funny to see all the folks working their way towards checkout almost SOLELY with 2 TPs, paper towels, and water.  We could use some toilet paper, but they only had the "good" stuff - Charmin super plush - and we prefer the mid-grade Kirkland TP.  Oh well.

• Heart 1

So is the grocery store down the street. But they haven’t put a limit on spray bottles of Clorox multi-surface cleaner. Which I use at school instead of hand sanitizer. My students like to have their hands sprayed. They are weird. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

We bought a large bag of brown rice from the bulk bin on the last trip.  No limit on that these days.  

There was plenty of the cheap TP that we buy.  Not sure why people waste cash on that expensive premium tp.  

We have a septic system and leach field. We buy the stuff that easily breaks down. Decent quality in that version costs a little more. 

1 minute ago, roadsue said:

So is the grocery store down the street. But they haven’t put a limit on spray bottles of Clorox multi-surface cleaner. Which I use at school instead of hand sanitizer. My students like to have their hands sprayed. They are weird. 

We use that here and at school. Superior to bleach and water mixed on site because it is stable. With the regular bleach and water mix, you have to toss and remix every 24 hours. 

• Heart 1

Why are people buying bottles of water?  Do people think this is apocalypse?  When I turn on my tap, water still comes out.  We have a little water, but it is mainly in the event that we lose services for a little while.  Like, in the event of an earthquake, snow blizzards or a volcano eruption, and we would likely be dead anyway

• Heart 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Why are people buying bottles of water?  Do people think this is apocalypse?  When I turn on my tap, water still comes out.  We have a little water, but it is mainly in the event that we lose services for a little while.  Like, in the event of an earthquake, snow blizzards or a volcano eruption, and we would likely be dead anyway

mr. asked the same thing. Being quarantined doesn’t turn the utilities off.

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

My husband bought one package of flu remedies (Nyquil and Dayquil) 

I’m surprised by this. Your husband is in healthcare and you observe a high standard of self-care. A doctor that I saw 15 or so years ago scared me off of that chemical stew for good. He told me that I was over-medicating myself for one symptom. 

11 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I’m surprised by this. Your husband is in healthcare and you observe a high standard of self-care. A doctor that I saw 15 or so years ago scared me off of that chemical stew for good. He told me that I was over-medicating myself for one symptom. 

My husband says that they give the drugs directly at the hospital, and that the Nyquil stuff has those drugs in one dose (tylenol, acidemenophen, and some other stuff).  He says that it is important to sleep.  He says it helps break up the congestion and gets you knocked out.  So, instead of taking all these separately in a bunch of different pills, you just drink a dose.  I don't like taking it either, because of the red dye and stuff, but it isnt like I take more than 2 doses a year.  It's a non-issue IMHO.  Otherwise, I am pretty clean.  It isn't worth arguing with him about it.

My husband suggests it, and I follow his protocol, with plenty of grumbling about it.  Maybe he just wants to drug me to knock me out.  haha

I do feel better after taking it and it helps me sleep too.  <shrug>  Not all doctors agree on care.  Depends on who you talk to.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

Today was the first time I saw the toilet paper almost sold out on the shelves.   I did get enough flu medicine in case I get the flu and have to stay home.  Plus some ginger ale.  If I'm sick, I want ginger ale.

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Today was the first time I saw the toilet paper almost sold out on the shelves.   I did get enough flu medicine in case I get the flu and have to stay home.  Plus some ginger ale.  If I'm sick, I want ginger ale.

Ginger ale and Tang always fixed me when I was a kid.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

My husband suggests it, and I follow his protocol, with plenty of grumbling about it.  Maybe he just wants to drug me to knock me out.  haha

...have you ever woken up in the morning and found that your nightgown is on inside out ? :whistle:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Today was the first time I saw the toilet paper almost sold out on the shelves.   I did get enough flu medicine in case I get the flu and have to stay home.  ...

...I went out to get some zinc lozenges and a pack of Zicam nose swabs for my wife, yesterday. (She now has the coronavirus that I had the week before.)

There was plenty of TP on the shelves at CVS, but the colds and flu self care aisle looked like Sherman's march through Georgia.  I had to go to another nearby Rite Aid. 

9 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...have you ever woken up in the morning and found that your nightgown is on inside out ? :whistle:

HAHA, not when I am sick.  The man avoids me, when I have the plague.  

For those that think I get good nursing care, when I am sick, I don't.  Unless I am showing symptoms that may take me to the actual hospital. he just tells me "take this, or put a band aid on that gigantic bleed that you did to yourself."  The shoemaker family syndrome is real.  He was more attentive, before he became a nurse.  I assume this is cause he sees people who are really dying. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

HAHA, not when I am sick.  The man avoids me, when I have the plague.  

For those that think I get good nursing care, when I am sick, I don't.  Unless I am showing symptoms that may take me to the actual hospital. he just tells me "take this, or put a band aid on that gigantic bleed that you did to yourself."  The shoemaker family syndrome is real.  He was more attentive, before he became a nurse.  I assume this is cause he sees people who are really dying. 

As long as he is snot singing “Suck it up, Buttercup”, you are good!

• Haha 1