In solidartiy

shootingstar

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Lack of government transparency and a censored press... hmm.  It will be a world wide pandemic. 

Yea, I agree their govn't has never been democracy. Never.

My comment was about the 2 women...who just want to survive and be team oriented.. I like women forging ahead. and  joined together no matter what govn't, country they live in.  these 2 women aren't protesting....they are working within the system and trying their best.

17 hours ago, shootingstar said:

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-unites-a-divided-china-in-fear-grief-and-anger-at-government-131549

I realize this is was more political.

But I saw it as 2 women...serving/fighting for the health of their country..in solidarity. International women's day is also coming up...as another day.

I didn't see the "2 women..." part.  I see it as "this government is not doing what is right for the common people" but now that the upper class folks are worried about the coronavirus, there is an issue to unite the groups.

Class solidarity

Coronavirus is different: The threat is universal.

The outbreak affects Chinese across classes and threatens different interest groups within classes. Quarantines of entire villages and communities, sealed off as the government tries to control the outbreak of the virus, impact the lives of every single resident.

Nor are rural areas exempt from coronavirus. The Chinese migrant workers who live in the outskirts of cities were headed back to their rural hometowns en masse when the virus hit during the Chinese New Year – the largest annual human migration in the world, called “Chunyun.” Some of them brought coronavirus with them to places where the lack of medical resources is severe.

Economically, coronavirus hurts a wide swath of Chinese society, too. With factories and offices shuttered, both white-collar and blue-collar workers are facing potential layoffs or delayed return to work, depriving them of income. Street vendors, shops and service industries are all hit hard.

Between the seriousness of the virus and the mass pause of all Chinese society, everyone seems to be questioning systemic problems long disguised or ignored in the Communist Party’s discourse of stability, nationalism and economic development.

The lack of government transparency, a censored press, inequality and the shortage of medical resources are longstanding problems in China. Coronavirus brought them to the fore, and, if only for a brief moment, the Chinese people demanded better.

59 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I didn't see the "2 women..." part.  I see it as "this government is not doing what is right for the common people" but now that the upper class folks are worried about the coronavirus, there is an issue to unite the groups.

Class solidarity

Coronavirus is different: The threat is universal.

The outbreak affects Chinese across classes and threatens different interest groups within classes. Quarantines of entire villages and communities, sealed off as the government tries to control the outbreak of the virus, impact the lives of every single resident.

Nor are rural areas exempt from coronavirus. The Chinese migrant workers who live in the outskirts of cities were headed back to their rural hometowns en masse when the virus hit during the Chinese New Year – the largest annual human migration in the world, called “Chunyun.” Some of them brought coronavirus with them to places where the lack of medical resources is severe.

Economically, coronavirus hurts a wide swath of Chinese society, too. With factories and offices shuttered, both white-collar and blue-collar workers are facing potential layoffs or delayed return to work, depriving them of income. Street vendors, shops and service industries are all hit hard.

Between the seriousness of the virus and the mass pause of all Chinese society, everyone seems to be questioning systemic problems long disguised or ignored in the Communist Party’s discourse of stability, nationalism and economic development.

The lack of government transparency, a censored press, inequality and the shortage of medical resources are longstanding problems in China. Coronavirus brought them to the fore, and, if only for a brief moment, the Chinese people demanded better.

I would tend to agree the divide between rural/much poorer folks in China and the middle-class and upper classes in urban areas in that country is very real.  Far more real than here in North America.  We're also talking about literacy even though that has changed/improved in past few decades.  The migration of workers from rural to urban is millions of people to earn money...even in factories.  Travelling hundreds of kms. and living in crowded conditions in city...very different North America...where rural folks....stay rural to work and live in their communities.

It's terrible it takes a life and death matter to unite the country....temporarily.