Bagels - toasted or raw?

Ralphie

18 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Grocery store bagels need to be toasted.  Bagels from a bagel store are best raw.

Our Local Bagel Store's are so so, but at least they are fresh.  I like two kinds of high end bagels - both the official hardish NYC ones and the bigass bready oh so good ones.  We get the latter every week at work and man, are they good!  I seldom encounter the first kind and I miss them.

27 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I have never had a fresh bagel from a bagel store.  I am taking it this is  something I need to do? 

I used to have an office next to a bagel shop and OMG still warm bagels fresh out of the oven are awesome.

Yeah man do it.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Do you boil them in baking soda?

No.  Should I?  Sodium bicarbonate seems safer than lye.  I do the Joy of Cooking recipe for bagels and add more WW and vital gluten for stretch.  They say sugar and salt in the water.  

Mine seem softer.  I never get that really hard crust.  They taste nice tho.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Toasted, served with smoked salmon, capers and creme cheese.  This is so I have something to eat when I throw the bagel away.  :) 

There is a little cafe near a local trail head my brother loves.  I get a bagel you noted but it also has thinly sliced red onion and a slab of tomato.  

I eat one whole 1/2 and then the good stuff off the other half & chuck the bagel.

• Heart 1