jsharr you've got nothing on BBQ over there?

Dottleshead

Just now, sheep_herder said:

Angle of photo makes it hard to read the entire poster.  There is a lot of good bar-b-que around the USA, but it depends upon the style you like. There use to be a pretty good bar-b-que joint outside Ritzville, WA.

Good old Ritzville. Everyone deserves to go there once.

I have heard that story before.  Also been told that the slaves or Mexican workers / vaqueros were given the bad / tough cuts of meat and used barbecue or barbacoa to make the meat tender.

So I would say it is at least partially true and certainly makes sense.

The German immigrant style is common in Central Texas and is usually rubbed and not sauced.  Sauce may be mopped on during cooking or more commonly served on the side.

The slave style is common to East Texas and uses a sweet tomato based

Barbacoa is common to south Texas and uses a molasses like sauce when cooking.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I have heard that story before.  Also been told that the slaves or Mexican workers / vaqueros were given the back cuts of meat and used barbecue or barbacoa to make the meat tender.

So I would say it is at least partially true and certainly makes sense.

The German immigrant style is common in Central Texas and is usually rubbed and not sauced.  Sauce may be mopped on during cooking or more commonly served on the side.

The slave style is common to East Texas and uses a sweet tomato based

Barbacoa is common to south Texas and uses a molasses like sauce when cooking.

Did you ever eat the cheek meat off the skull?  They use to have these on the grill on Saturdays in south Texas, and people really liked the meat.

6 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Did you ever eat the cheek meat off the skull?  They use to have these on the grill on Saturdays in south Texas, and people really liked the meat.

Nope.  Never really had South Texas style, but my dad probably did.  He and some of his buddies would pit barbecue a whole pig.   

I am more of an East / Central Texas a bbq fan myself.  Smoke it low and slow and I do not mind sauce.

Here are a few local places that serve Central TX style barbecue around Dallas.  Meshacks is a dive.  Many people sit on the hood of their car or the tailgate of their truck to eat it.   People line up for hours at Cattleack and Lockharts.

http://ten50bbq.com/our-barbecue-tradition/

https://www.cattleackbbq.com/

https://www.texasmonthly.com/list/the-50-best-bbq-joints-in-the-world/meshacks-bar-b-que/

https://www.lockhartsmokehouse.com/

And this is, or was a BBQ mecca in Central Texas.  There are several world famous pits in the Lockhart area.

https://kreuzmarket.com/

29 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Nope.  Never really had South Texas style, but my dad probably did.  He and some of his buddies would pit barbecue a whole pig.   

I am more of an East / Central Texas a bbq fan myself.  Smoke it low and slow and I do not mind sauce.

I like most of the styles that I've sampled over the years.  I think most bar-b-que is smoked low and slow. We even get bar-b-que sauce with our hamburgers at the local cafe.

4 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I like most of the styles that I've sampled over the years.  I think most bar-b-que is smoked low and slow. We even get bar-b-que sauce with our hamburgers at the local cafe.

West Texas is more akin to grilling I hear.  Cooked over open wood fire.    I have tried some KC and Memphis style and they work for me.   

Nothing wrong with a cheddar cheese and bbq sauce on a burger.  Need some onions on there too.

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

West Texas is more akin to grilling I hear.  Cooked over open wood fire.    I have tried some KC and Memphis style and they work for me.   

Nothing wrong with a cheddar cheese and bbq sauce on a burger.  Need some onions on there too.

We like a lot more than just cheese and onions on our hamburger. Really you can find all types from grilling on open wood fire to other styles of bar-b-que in west and south Texas.  Many sell smoked meats along with grilled cabrito, etc.

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

We like a lot more than just cheese and onions on our hamburger. Really you can find all types from grilling on open wood fire to other styles of bar-b-que in west and south Texas.  Many sell smoked meats along with grilled cabrito, etc.

I agree with that as well, but as Dottles asked specifically about BBQ I was trying share what little knowledge I have about Texas BBQ with him.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

I was simply replying to your comment to me about grilling in west Texas.

The only way to settle this is with a burger and maybe some ribs and brisket, pulled pork, some cheek meat, cole slaw, baked beans, white bread, sliced onions, pickles, a nice chunk of cheddar cheese and some iced tea.

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The only way to settle this is with a burger and maybe some ribs and brisket, pulled pork, some cheek meat, cole slaw, baked beans, white bread, sliced onions, pickles, a nice chunk of cheddar cheese and some iced tea.

What is there to settle?  I simply stated that many different types of grilling and bar-b-que could be found in south and west Texas. Lets not start a pissing contest.:rolleyes:

• Heart 1

Just now, sheep_herder said:

What is there to settle?  I simply stated that many different types of grilling and bar-b-que could be found in south and west Texas. Lets not start a pissing contest.:rolleyes:

I wanted to start a food fight!  After we were done sampling of course.