Losing it in yoga

Dirtyhip

...there's something called "Yoga Marine Syndrome", and from your other lifestyle descriptions, I'm guessing you need to be cautious about falling into it.  The whole practice is something that you need to do regularly (daily is best, but you don't need a class daily, you can just repeat what you learned in class that week on a daily basis.)  Most people, when they first start out, suffer from a lifetime of tight ligaments and shortened muscles in some spots.  It takes a long time to release those places, and if you don't do it gradually, you can really hurt yourself doing yoga poses like a yoga marine.

Don't be that person, and give your ankle some rest. Don't abandon working with your ankle, but try to approach it in different ways, and don't try for 100% stretch right there.

Balance is just balance.  Some people are better at it than others. Again, if balance is a special problem for you, support yourself in some way that allows you to balance with assist, and gradually try to increase the time in the balance pose. It helps if you can just reach out a hand to assist, then retract it to balance again.  Arm balances are hard, and probably always will be.  Single leg balances less so, because we spend more time standing and walking on legs.

Mostly, just pay attention and try not to adopt an overachiever mindset.  What's important is breath and focus. Focus on your breath, and don't look too much at everyone else in the class, or the teacher, once you think you understand the pose.

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

40 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...there's something called "Yoga Marine Syndrome", and from your other lifestyle descriptions, I'm guessing you need to be cautious about falling into it.  The whole practice is something that you need to do regularly (daily is best, but you don't need a class daily, you can just repeat what you learned in class that week on a daily basis.)  Most people, when they first start out, suffer from a lifetime of tight ligaments and shortened muscles in some spots.  It takes a long time to release those places, and if you don't do it gradually, you can really hurt yourself doing yoga poses like a yoga marine.

Don't be that person, and give your ankle some rest. Don't abandon working with your ankle, but try to approach it in different ways, and don't try for 100% stretch right there.

Balance is just balance.  Some people are better at it than others. Again, if balance is a special problem for you, support yourself in some way that allows you to balance with assist, and gradually try to increase the time in the balance pose. It helps if you can just reach out a hand to assist, then retract it to balance again.  Arm balances are hard, and probably always will be.  Single leg balances less so, because we spend more time standing and walking on legs.

Mostly, just pay attention and try not to adopt an overachiever mindset.  What's important is breath and focus. Focus on your breath, and don't look too much at everyone else in the class, or the teacher, once you think you understand the pose.

I don't stretch to pain ever, so some poses are a no go.  Headstands, nope.  We were doing arm stands.  You put your hands on the ground, and walk your feet up the wall, until you are at an L shape.  Some people popped that into an arm stand, and I am not sure I can ever do that.  It is very hard.  Lots of strength.  I could only do the L briefly.  15 seconds.  Grrrr

The part that was driving me nuts was Vera 1 pose, (Virabhadrasana 1), also known as warrior 1.  You come up from the ground into that position, and I am wobby.  I am the wobblist in that room.  Makes me really self conscious.  It is an intermediate class.  

• Hugs 1

My neighbor wobbles in lots of balance poses..Somedays..I wobble a lot.. We practice yoga...we don't perfect it..Somedays are wobbly...I spent a lot of time trying to do shoulder stand..and it seemed like my ass weighed a bazillion pounds..then one night..I briefly (like if you blinked..or were not looking directly at me..you missed it) I got my ass above my hips.  I still like the benefits I get from yoga even though I know there are some poses I will never get..let alone master.

I assume you are enjoying some of your yoga experience ..that is what counts..it isn't a competition.  Hugs

I was just watching some video clips on tai chi....with movements...from a martial arts perspective.  There is a certain of balance stuff and very key position of body, limbs, looseness and position of foot.  I'm sure you and DH are much better than I in areas of strength, etc.  

These days since I've had some dizziness...which I think it's partially due to a blocked ear (got an appoint. with doctor to flush it out), is just slow simple stretching to release my lower back tightness, my shoulders and abdomen.  I also  pull up and down more slowly from lying down on the carpet,  for abs strength, in case I should have a dizzy wave when going up and down to fast.

Then maybe sleep deeper and abit longer.  So I'm pretty chill these days.  I can't afford to do anything super jerky movement that will bring on vertigo accidentally....

34 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

My neighbor wobbles in lots of balance poses..Somedays..I wobble a lot.. We practice yoga...we don't perfect it..Somedays are wobbly...I spent a lot of time trying to do shoulder stand..and it seemed like my ass weighed a bazillion pounds..then one night..I briefly (like if you blinked..or were not looking directly at me..you missed it) I got my ass above my hips

I think some yoga poses are similar to other Eastern based exercises, where it's proper position of each foot, limbs, body angle, etc.  And above all, balance is centring gently one's body and energy into the ground.. so that one is rooted in the ground, but the body is overall not too stiff. (Shoulder and head stand probably doesn't count. :)

22 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...if you focus on your breath, and stop rubbernecking around the room, you won't realize it any more. :) 

This what I tell myself, to breath properly when trying to climb a hill on bike that I'm having problems.  Yoga breathing while biking up a hill has helped me.  So useful for other situations too.

I suspect most people feel like the wobbliest in the room.  I know I do.  Some weeks tree is fine, others it's not happening unless I put the second foot down.  Then I see women who stand on one foot, then without the use of their hands, lift the other foot very high on their thigh.

I feel frustrated always feeling like the noob in class.  I now try and do most of the class with my eyes closed.  Partly because it's scary, partly because I don't want to see how good other people are.

The MS part sucks, so sorry.  You suspect that contributes to making it hard, that's sucks too.

Yoga is not riding, it's not a competition.  It's all about acceptance and forgiveness.

Accept yourself.

Forgive yourself.

During our community dedication (silent) I will think of you next Sunday.

• Heart 3

I am sure you inspire your teacher because you keep trying even when things aren't easy.   I know that's why you inspire me. I'm sorry you're feeling burdened by  various things, and I'm sure it's frustrating to feel limited when you're at yoga.  But as Petite said, it's not about being perfect, but continuing to stretch your boundaries.  It's also important to be kind to yourself.  I'm sure you wouldn't judge someone else who showed up in class and was doing their best but wasn't "perfect", so be as kind to yourself.